Northwestern

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
To FredJacket's request for a rules search on pitchers going to their mouth in the chat:

From the 2019/2020 NCAA Baseball rules book, Rule 9, Section 2.d:

d. If the pitcher is not in contact with the pitching rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area; however, the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before engaging the rubber.
Note 1: A pitcher may not go to the mouth while in contact with the pitching rubber.
Note 2: In cold weather, the umpire may announce to both teams that it is permissible for the pitcher to blow on his hand, on or off the rubber.

PENALTY—A ball shall be called each time a pitcher violates this rule.

So, I believe FredJacket was correct. I mistakenly thought you had to be off the mound. MLB rules may or may not be different.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know it was 12-1. But that's not the story. Cannot say enough about what Curry did tonight. 31 pitch 1st inning. Hit hard too. Quite fortunate to come out of that without giving up multiple runs. We fail to score in B1 after loading bases with no outs. So after 1st... it just felt there was no way Curry could get much past 3-4 innings. But that DUDE battles. Always has. Tonight was a great example.

Eventually, the offense (his name is McCann) showed up. So... Curry settles in & goes 5 strong. Setting up for saving any & all key bullpen arms for the Sat DH.

So... you could argue Curry's performance not only got this win... but quite possibly he gets the "assist" on anything good that may go down tomorrow.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To FredJacket's request for a rules search on pitchers going to their mouth in the chat:

From the 2019/2020 NCAA Baseball rules book, Rule 9, Section 2.d:

d. If the pitcher is not in contact with the pitching rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area; however, the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before engaging the rubber.
Note 1: A pitcher may not go to the mouth while in contact with the pitching rubber.
Note 2: In cold weather, the umpire may announce to both teams that it is permissible for the pitcher to blow on his hand, on or off the rubber.

PENALTY—A ball shall be called each time a pitcher violates this rule.

So, I believe FredJacket was correct. I mistakenly thought you had to be off the mound. MLB rules may or may not be different.

Thanks. So all three of us were partially right. Or as we say at GT, we were all wrong. (tic)

After yesterday's total domination, it'll be interesting to see how our team responds today.

Maybe half of the in-field hits or ground balls we got hits on would have been UCLA outs. Nick's "crushing" of the bal for a double is an example of poor fielding. The LF takes a better route and it's a single and not a double as the ball slowly rolls to the wall.

But isn't that what baseball is all about? Execution of the small details every play is required to become elite.

I wish someone had measured that McCann grand slam. It was a HR in any park, MLB or college.

Deleted member 2897

If the pitcher is not in contact with the rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area; however, the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before engaging the rubber.
Note 1: A pitcher may not go to the mouth while in contact with the rubber.

I mean, this is just Beavis and Butthead level Gold.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If the pitcher is not in contact with the rubber, the pitcher may go to the mouth while in the dirt area; however, the pitcher must wipe off the fingers before engaging the rubber.

It's a good rule. Moisture on the baseball effects how it spins and moves.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well Played, sir.... well played.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. So all three of us were partially right. Or as we say at GT, we were all wrong. (tic)

After yesterday's total domination, it'll be interesting to see how our team responds today.

Maybe half of the in-field hits or ground balls we got hits on would have been UCLA outs. Nick's "crushing" of the bal for a double is an example of poor fielding. The LF takes a better route and it's a single and not a double as the ball slowly rolls to the wall.

But isn't that what baseball is all about? Execution of the small details every play is required to become elite.

I wish someone had measured that McCann grand slam. It was a HR in any park, MLB or college.
Is there any video of it?

Deleted member 2897

I remember a week ago after the paltry offense against UCLA pleading for some 8-2s and 10-3s this week. Well hot damn we’ve outscored the competition something like 38-6 in our last 4 games. I should rub the genies belly more often.

Deleted member 2897

McCann with 7 RBIs yesterday and another RBI today. And he SCORED 4 times himself. To me it’s probably 3x as hard to score 4 Runs yourself than to get 4 RBIs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Going for the sweep starting at 6PM. Hard to sweep any P5 team. We have a chance.

Will be on chat again ........

Serratos is really coming on defensively and hitting. I think he is one difference between us being good and great.

And I must say, I have no problem with Hall's coaching moves this year. Must be the wins and beer. And Ramsey is really getting us to run up the pitch count which I love.