North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
So if I had responded to Oriental with something like...

Now we know why our DC hire is taking so long. This has left CBK scrambling as he has to now dig deeper down his candidate list. We've really botched this hiring process.

Would that qualify as "intelligent humor" or just piling on?
Difficult to say. My grading is influenced by visual aids. And Oriental is sometimes hard to understand. He's essentially a Yankee southerner being from NC. All those guys are a little squirrelly, probably bc of the proximity to the blue devil's triangle.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I find it ironic that anonymous internet message board terms of service agreements have more clauses and teeth than multimillion dollar coaching contracts.
These guys aren't anonymous. I've met AUFC. His name is Bob, and he's a rich alumni that donates stacks to the programs. At least that's what he said.

Angry Amazon GIF by Hunters

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect to the Mods, who I am sure have a difficult job at times, this rule should be amended to allow for commenting on the former "coach" who ran our program into the ground. Given the disappointment, monetary loss and the fact that he turned a once proud program into a laughingstock in less than a year, people should be able to vent their frustrations with him given the time, effort and love devoted to our program. Maybe give everyone one or two warnings or something, but he brought so much pain to supporters of our program, fans should be allowed to vent, at least a little bit, toward his failed tenure and the wrecking of our program.

I've been on this site for over 10 years and have been put on "vacation" three times, all in the past year or so and all because of a reference to the former guy as a person who wears makeup, a big red nose and a wig. I get the rules, but a little bit of grace given the frustration he brought to our entire fanbase should be considered. It's not like discussing the triple option or Chan Gailey. This guy literally ran our program into the ground. If CPJ gave him a nickname, that at least should be allowable. I had discussions with a mod about "facts." What CPJ said is clearly a "fact" and should be a reasonable alternative as a reference to the former guy. Money Down. Lifting weights on the sideline before games. "Elite." "If you can't see the progress, you're not looking." This guy killed our program. Thank God for Brent Key.

I took my 10 year old to Tampa for the bowl game. I can't tell you how long it had been since we had been that excited at a Tech game with so many other Tech fans. I think Brent has us moving in the right direct. The old guy is just like waving a red flag in front of a bull. He gets intelligent, analytical people angry for the pain he inflicted.

Nearly 50 years as a Tech fan, 30+ as an alum and financial supporter/season ticket holder. Not even 1994 compares to what he did to our program. I wish his family no ill will, but I hope he fails miserably at UNC. My best guess is that Mack is out after next year and he goes with him.

Just my $0.02.
I agree!!! I vote for a one time permanent exemption to the rule.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect to the Mods, who I am sure have a difficult job at times, this rule should be amended to allow for commenting on the former "coach" who ran our program into the ground. Given the disappointment, monetary loss and the fact that he turned a once proud program into a laughingstock in less than a year, people should be able to vent their frustrations with him given the time, effort and love devoted to our program. Maybe give everyone one or two warnings or something, but he brought so much pain to supporters of our program, fans should be allowed to vent, at least a little bit, toward his failed tenure and the wrecking of our program.

I've been on this site for over 10 years and have been put on "vacation" three times, all in the past year or so and all because of a reference to the former guy as a person who wears makeup, a big red nose and a wig. I get the rules, but a little bit of grace given the frustration he brought to our entire fanbase should be considered. It's not like discussing the triple option or Chan Gailey. This guy literally ran our program into the ground. If CPJ gave him a nickname, that at least should be allowable. I had discussions with a mod about "facts." What CPJ said is clearly a "fact" and should be a reasonable alternative as a reference to the former guy. Money Down. Lifting weights on the sideline before games. "Elite." "If you can't see the progress, you're not looking." This guy killed our program. Thank God for Brent Key.

I took my 10 year old to Tampa for the bowl game. I can't tell you how long it had been since we had been that excited at a Tech game with so many other Tech fans. I think Brent has us moving in the right direct. The old guy is just like waving a red flag in front of a bull. He gets intelligent, analytical people angry for the pain he inflicted.

Nearly 50 years as a Tech fan, 30+ as an alum and financial supporter/season ticket holder. Not even 1994 compares to what he did to our program. I wish his family no ill will, but I hope he fails miserably at UNC. My best guess is that Mack is out after next year and he goes with him.

Just my $0.02.
Can't agree with this enough. I really don't know why he should be protected in ANY way.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Went back and forth privately with a mod about my constant use of a certain circus act to refer to the previous coach and I was advised to let it go.
which only made me madder, since I invested time and money to come to Tech games to cheer them on, even during Gailey games, but under the previous coach with no expectation at all of victory ever. And there were occasions where the drive to Grant Field was more in hours than the sleep I had before getting on the road, so I literally risked my life and that of others to support Tech athletics, even with the shameful and laughable level of coaching being foisted upon us in the stands. But I was admonished to let it go. Hey, this isn't Frozen. This is hard-earned money and time that could have been spent in other pursuits rather than sitting in the stands at Tech games.

Well, at least in terms of the fan base, when we were fairly split and bitterly so at the end of PJ's tenure, not so much so at the end of the previous coach's. He was by and large reviled by Tech fans everywhere. So at least there's that - he unified the fan base. Unified it against him, but unified nonetheless.

I recall a story from early on in the previous coach's tenure about all these exotic blitzes he was having them run in practice. And yet, during games, they were nowhere to be seen. Which only goes to his lack of ability - if you're gonna spend the limited time you have in practice on it, why are you not running it in games?
I hope he continues that same practice at Chapel Hell. It will make Mack Brown question his own decision-making in hiring.

As I had a very good high school coach tell me, all those gimmicks are great. But if you don't win, they come off as just gimmicks.
He didn't win. And they came off as worse than gimmicks. How long before the pretentious Tar Heel fans (and they are a pretentious bunch) grow sick of them?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Went back and forth privately with a mod about my constant use of a certain circus act to refer to the previous coach and I was advised to let it go.
which only made me madder, since I invested time and money to come to Tech games to cheer them on, even during Gailey games, but under the previous coach with no expectation at all of victory ever. And there were occasions where the drive to Grant Field was more in hours than the sleep I had before getting on the road, so I literally risked my life and that of others to support Tech athletics, even with the shameful and laughable level of coaching being foisted upon us in the stands. But I was admonished to let it go. Hey, this isn't Frozen. This is hard-earned money and time that could have been spent in other pursuits rather than sitting in the stands at Tech games.

Well, at least in terms of the fan base, when we were fairly split and bitterly so at the end of PJ's tenure, not so much so at the end of the previous coach's. He was by and large reviled by Tech fans everywhere. So at least there's that - he unified the fan base. Unified it against him, but unified nonetheless.

I recall a story from early on in the previous coach's tenure about all these exotic blitzes he was having them run in practice. And yet, during games, they were nowhere to be seen. Which only goes to his lack of ability - if you're gonna spend the limited time you have in practice on it, why are you not running it in games?
I hope he continues that same practice at Chapel Hell. It will make Mack Brown question his own decision-making in hiring.

As I had a very good high school coach tell me, all those gimmicks are great. But if you don't win, they come off as just gimmicks.
He didn't win. And they came off as worse than gimmicks. How long before the pretentious Tar Heel fans (and they are a pretentious bunch) grow sick of them?
One word: Pat Nix - Miami

slugboy

Staff member
Only click on this if you’re a gluten for punishment. Chaos! God his voice just grates on me.

Not sure what that is on his head. Rug? Plugs?

Gluten free, here.

1. Lots of jargon. Very vague
  2. Too many compliments. Felt like an Eddie Haskell interview
  3. If he does what he promises, then why didn’t he do that when he was here?
  4. He has a lot more hair than when he was here. Hmmm 🧐 [it’s either a transplant or rogaine or both]

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Only click on this if you’re a gluten for punishment. Chaos! God his voice just grates on me.

Not sure what that is on his head. Rug? Plugs?

I watched that interview but I have a confession to make. I am one who cannot avert my eyes from a car wreck when I drive past one on the highway.

One of my best friends and I go back 40 years. We worked together for almost 20 and spent another 10 in the same industry. We have seen a number of guys just exactly like Coach Collins over the years and have come to realize that the world seems to accept and even tolerate guys like him. Oddly enough but I think, like PT Barnum or George Carlin insinuated, it speaks to the average intelligence of the typical citizen.

Over the may years we have known each other and have seen moret han a few guys like this thrive and even prosper, we have always debated whether or not self awareness is a gift or curse. This debate has gone on so long for so long that we are equally comfortable defending either position. My take on Collins is that he truly believes the things he says. It MAY in fact be a con job but I don't think he is aware of the fact nor is it a deliberate con ala Professor Henry Hill in the Music Man. I think he has fooled himself. And, apparently, a small handful of others along the way including Stansbury and Mack Brown.

TL; Dr - this WILL be the last interview I ever watch of this guy. Just don't have the stomach for it any longer.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched that interview but I have a confession to make. I am one who cannot avert my eyes from a car wreck when I drive past one on the highway.

One of my best friends and I go back 40 years. We worked together for almost 20 and spent another 10 in the same industry. We have seen a number of guys just exactly like Coach Collins over the years and have come to realize that the world seems to accept and even tolerate guys like him. Oddly enough but I think, like PT Barnum or George Carlin insinuated, it speaks to the average intelligence of the typical citizen.

Over the may years we have known each other and have seen moret han a few guys like this thrive and even prosper, we have always debated whether or not self awareness is a gift or curse. This debate has gone on so long for so long that we are equally comfortable defending either position. My take on Collins is that he truly believes the things he says. It MAY in fact be a con job but I don't think he is aware of the fact nor is it a deliberate con ala Professor Henry Hill in the Music Man. I think he has fooled himself. And, apparently, a small handful of others along the way including Stansbury and Mack Brown.

TL; Dr - this WILL be the last interview I ever watch of this guy. Just don't have the stomach for it any longer.
This reminds me of something I heard once- One of the most powerful and dangerous things a man can do is convince himself he’s good at something. There’s many ways to achieve a high level confidence, some much more effective than others in terms of leading to actual performance. But that confidence alone can be valued higher than any real kpi’s. Take a listen to your local politicians for proof.

And yes he got a very obvious hair transplant. Can’t hate because I probably will too one day, but it is laughably fitting with his persona.

My brother just moved up closed to UNC so I’m already planning on going up to watch our ELITE offense hang 50 on this guy. You already know Key won’t be holding back.

Last edited: