North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think Scooter, and GC3 are valid and appropriate names for our former head coach if MoBS is not allowed. Geoff himself wanted us to call him GC5, with 5 being his playing number in college. Then someone noted that GC5 is a model of an electric scooter and Scooter, or Scoots, is how some call him today.
But in my book, he did not earn the 5 designation because he won only 3 games per season, hence GC3 being more appropriate for his tenure at our school.
But personally speaking, I think CPJ nailed it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
TFG now known as Scooter is a gift that keeps on giving. We had 37 pages of his being the worst coach of all time. We are now at 13 pages of his hiring as DC at UNC. This thread will be closed when his firing at UNC thread begins.
Scooter, really? Outside of this message board where nicknames are banned and everyone's grasping for something not deemed derogatory which is impossible, nobody calls him scooter.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wait ... wut?

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Is this sarcasm?
Take your time….

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Oh, the many times I have come to bury Collins, not to praise him.
But at least Caesar conquered something and I didn't waste valuable time and money going to see Caesar lose to the Picts and the Gauls and the Franks the way he who shall have an insulting moniker assigned to him did to the likes of VPI and The Citadel and Northern Illinois, never mind the blowouts at the hands of the Rebels of Ole Miss, the shillelagh-wielding Fighting Irish of Notre Dame du Lac and the inbred mouthbreathers of Athens.

He's all yours, Tar Heels. Enjoy.
Excellent use of history and geographical descriptions.

Positive People GIF by One Chicago

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Per the rules here, please take note of this one:

4. No personal attacks on current or former coaches or GTAA staff, to include the AD. Again, critiquing is acceptable, epithets like ‘clown’ or ‘used car salesman’ or their ilk are not kosher and will not be tolerated.

The use of POS and MoBS violates this one. I get that Collins isn't well regarded at all, but please refrain from resorting to expletive to insult him, even if it's in the form of an acronym.

With all due respect to the Mods, who I am sure have a difficult job at times, this rule should be amended to allow for commenting on the former "coach" who ran our program into the ground. Given the disappointment, monetary loss and the fact that he turned a once proud program into a laughingstock in less than a year, people should be able to vent their frustrations with him given the time, effort and love devoted to our program. Maybe give everyone one or two warnings or something, but he brought so much pain to supporters of our program, fans should be allowed to vent, at least a little bit, toward his failed tenure and the wrecking of our program.

I've been on this site for over 10 years and have been put on "vacation" three times, all in the past year or so and all because of a reference to the former guy as a person who wears makeup, a big red nose and a wig. I get the rules, but a little bit of grace given the frustration he brought to our entire fanbase should be considered. It's not like discussing the triple option or Chan Gailey. This guy literally ran our program into the ground. If CPJ gave him a nickname, that at least should be allowable. I had discussions with a mod about "facts." What CPJ said is clearly a "fact" and should be a reasonable alternative as a reference to the former guy. Money Down. Lifting weights on the sideline before games. "Elite." "If you can't see the progress, you're not looking." This guy killed our program. Thank God for Brent Key.

I took my 10 year old to Tampa for the bowl game. I can't tell you how long it had been since we had been that excited at a Tech game with so many other Tech fans. I think Brent has us moving in the right direct. The old guy is just like waving a red flag in front of a bull. He gets intelligent, analytical people angry for the pain he inflicted.

Nearly 50 years as a Tech fan, 30+ as an alum and financial supporter/season ticket holder. Not even 1994 compares to what he did to our program. I wish his family no ill will, but I hope he fails miserably at UNC. My best guess is that Mack is out after next year and he goes with him.

Just my $0.02.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I feel like he proved as a head coach that his activity level isn’t typically focused on the things that are important. He may be working harder during the week of our game, but I don’t think it will be smarter.
He may be too rich to care, which seemed to be his attitude from the moment he signed his very favorable contract with Tech.
I still suspect he actually wanted to get himself fired before the end of 2022 in order for it to be paid in full.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m too lazy to look it up but I thought Mack Brown was the most consistently winning coach UNC has had. Maybe it was like Richt at uga, one of their best coaches but not considered capable of getting them to the next level.

Uga fans, and powers that be, proved to be right, and replacing Richt with Smart was one of the best moves ever made in college football hirings. But, the state of Georgia is a hot bed of football talent that North Carolina cannot compare with.
Everyone gets sick of their coach at some point, if they have a few bad seasons - bad meaning not meeting fan expectations. See: Clemson. I think Bowden and JoePa are among the few I remember that earned the right to have some terrible seasons. Shoot - we ran Paul Johnson off.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Everyone gets sick of their coach at some point, if they have a few bad seasons - bad meaning not meeting fan expectations. See: Clemson. I think Bowden and JoePa are among the few I remember that earned the right to have some terrible seasons. Shoot - we ran Paul Johnson off.
I keep hearing this and hope like h*** it isn’t true. Please say no, we did not run off a HoF coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this and hope like h*** it isn’t true. Please say no, we did not run off a HoF coach.
It’s a figure of speech. The powers that be made CPJ fight for every little thing in the program, which Johnson had to do constantly to keep the program from being starved to death. I think CPJ had too much dignity to continue putting up with a program that kept signaling to him that his services were not needed or valued.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no inside knowledge. All I hear about is how big donors wanted to make a change because they were sick of people making fun of us for having a "high school offense". It seems that there was a lot of external pressure. Sure, Johnson retired but I personally think that we ran him off by withholding support from him.