North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Excellent use of history and geographical descriptions.

Positive People GIF by One Chicago
I enjoy intelligent humor.

And the stuff that kg posts as well. (Love ya bro)

Ice Hockey Hug GIF by NHL

Both are good for a laugh.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have no inside knowledge. All I hear about is how big donors wanted to make a change because they were sick of people making fun of us for having a "high school offense". It seems that there was a lot of external pressure. Sure, Johnson retired but I personally think that we ran him off by withholding support from him.
That sounds about right but it’s a complicated question to answer without a lot of nuance. I’m sure CPJ was always his own man and would never be “run off.” But he always said he would quit the moment it was no longer fun for him. He quit on his own terms, and quit with integrity, but a lot of external pressures came together to make it “no longer fun.”

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
That sounds about right but it’s a complicated question to answer without a lot of nuance. I’m sure CPJ was always his own man and would never be “run off.” But he always said he would quit the moment it was no longer fun for him. He quit on his own terms, and quit with integrity, but a lot of external pressures came together to make it “no longer fun.”
Yep, fair enough.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I have no inside knowledge. All I hear about is how big donors wanted to make a change because they were sick of people making fun of us for having a "high school offense". It seems that there was a lot of external pressure. Sure, Johnson retired but I personally think that we ran him off by withholding support from him.
If we would’ve supported him like Batt and Cabrera are supporting now, I have no doubt we would’ve been in at least 1 playoff.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I can't wait until we hang 50 on him, and I hope Faulkner lines the boys up in the triple for victory formation.

Honestly haynes seems like the kind of kid that if faulkner came to him and said hey we are goign to put in a flexbone package for UNC. Haynes woudl watch all the film and by the next meeting he'd know how to read for changing blocking schemes. It would he a hell of a mid season 1-2 punch to throw at people.

Oh you knwo all that stuff you have to prepare for? Heres also this where they just shift to flex spread the tight end takes a step back and becomes an A back your forced to cover singleton 1v1 and deal with jamal haynes potentially taking an option pick from haynes king on a triple. And to make matters worse... they just let the QB call the plays when they do this. they run no huddle and snap the ball within 7 seconds without subbing until it doesn't work.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’d be mildly surprised if CBF hasn’t had a session or two with CPJ already to see what he can adapt into his system. I kind of see CBF as a budding chess master like CPJ.
I agree. In the 1st qtr of the UCF game we couldn't do anything on offense. Then our OL started opening huge holes. In my unsophisticated view, the OL blocking assignments were changed just a bit. Haynes and Smith and King were suddenly making 6-8 yards on almost every running play. CPJ frequently did that to adjust to what the D was doing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’d be mildly surprised if CBF hasn’t had a session or two with CPJ already to see what he can adapt into his system. I kind of see CBF as a budding chess master like CPJ.

Some of the slot motion blocking resembled CPJ's AB motion blocking. Remember, CPJ "repackaged" a lot of his stuff for Urban Meyer and Baltimore Ravens (and a lot of other coaches). A coach at GT has to be a complete moron not to make use of a resource like CPJ. Even if you don't use his option plays, there's a lot of the "meat and potatoes" blocking concepts that you can use to your advantage.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Some of the slot motion blocking resembled CPJ's AB motion blocking. Remember, CPJ "repackaged" a lot of his stuff for Urban Meyer and Baltimore Ravens (and a lot of other coaches). A coach at GT has to be a complete moron not to make use of a resource like CPJ. Even if you don't use his option plays, there's a lot of the "meat and potatoes" blocking concepts that you can use to your advantage.
I saw what appeared to me to be a lot of CPJ-ish spread option techniques over the course of the season, but especially as it wore on. I do believe that Jeff Monken adapted a bunch of stuff to his O later on. We know Belichick used some of it and Meyer as well.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoy intelligent humor.

And the stuff that kg posts as well. (Love ya bro)

Ice Hockey Hug GIF by NHL

Both are good for a laugh.

So if I had responded to Oriental with something like...

Now we know why our DC hire is taking so long. This has left CBK scrambling as he has to now dig deeper down his candidate list. We've really botched this hiring process.

Would that qualify as "intelligent humor" or just piling on?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree. In the 1st qtr of the UCF game we couldn't do anything on offense. Then our OL started opening huge holes. In my unsophisticated view, the OL blocking assignments were changed just a bit. Haynes and Smith and King were suddenly making 6-8 yards on almost every running play. CPJ frequently did that to adjust to what the D was doing.
er, I think that is what a good coach does.(always have a back-up plan for anything-like when a key player gets hurt)