North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
All I want out of this is one thing. 2 years from now if they don't fire him before when/if we host UNC (not sure how the new ACC schedule is going to work - whenever it is) I just want the PA announcer to say "it's money down" for every 3rd down they have . I want it to burn his @$$ like death sauce wings from Taco Mac the next morning. Also game of thrones crowns for everyone in the crowd
He's gone man, let it go.

Just kidding! Keep it going.

I never bought in to his BS and despise him for what he did, while here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The guy followed a HOF coach, throwing shade on his system while filling the air with platitudes about himself and making excuses for loss after loss. Meanwhile, he took the program from respectable to the junk heap.
That pretty well sums it up.

I didn’t get good vibes from him from the beginning but kept hoping I was wrong and hoping all those who drank the kool aid knew something I didn’t.

But three things became fingernails on a chalkboard. He was totally disrespectful to the coach he followed -something I’ve never seen before. His “biggest rebuild in the history of football” sounded like a carnival barker at a freak sideshow. He used the word “elite” about 25 times too many.

Granted, still could have put up with these if he had delivered everything he promised but he was in way over his head and totally incompetent as a coach.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Per the rules here, please take note of this one:

4. No personal attacks on current or former coaches or GTAA staff, to include the AD. Again, critiquing is acceptable, epithets like ‘clown’ or ‘used car salesman’ or their ilk are not kosher and will not be tolerated.

The use of POS and MoBS violates this one. I get that Collins isn't well regarded at all, but please refrain from resorting to expletive to insult him, even if it's in the form of an acronym.

Can we use Mo** if we put it in quotation marks and attribute it to CPJ? Asking for a friend.

Or, can we just use Mo? TFG is the one who started the “Minister of (?)” detritus.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am sure Mack Brown factored in heavily that Collins is a pretty good recruiter who knows Georgia extremely well, as well as solid work as a DC at Florida and MSU. When he interviewed he apparently had watched a ton of film and was very well prepared/had a vision for how he would improve the defense. And we know he is a salesman.

Collins failed spectacularly as a HC. I don't think he has the focus for being a HC and he had a lot of kooky ideas that got away from focusing on what's really important—fundamentals, discipline, toughness, effort, and managing the team's psychology/identity. Instead he focused on dubious ideas such as branding, ATL, his vision for being a developmental program, etc. Not very savy with media, pressers, etc.

I think he could succeed as a DC at UNC where his scope is limited. What I think could be a real concern is Collins trying to poach GT players via the portal.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Correct me if I am wrong but at every previous stop of Coach Collins, he succeeded someone who got promoted (i.e. went into a good situation where the players are coached up, the talent is there and the culture is "good") except at Tech where he succeeded CPJ due to retirement. This time, he's taking over an unit where the previous coach got fired (i.e. Gene Chizik). Well not quite, since it was a "mutually agreed to part ways" but nowadays, that the same thing as being fired.

I think this is going to be challenge for him since it's not like he's succeeding a not-so-good coach. Gene Chizik's reputation as a DC is I think as good if not better than Collin's reputation as a DC. If Chizik couldn't do anything about this unit not sure what Collins could do. It all I guess depends on what the underlying issue was. Was Gene Chizik's philosophy not able to handle the modern college football offenses' anymore? Was it some sort of issue with talent (likely not because UNC is usually able to recruit well), some sort of cultural issue (i.e. undisciplined players)?

Chizik had taken over as DC in 2022. Defensive FEI (2022) = 118th, Defensive FEI (2023) = 77th (FYI, GT's defensive FEI = 76th for 2023). Before Chizik's time under UNC DC Bateman, UNC was hovering between defensie FEI of 58th to 97th. So Chizik "improved" the defense in the 2nd year he was there but it was not good enough.... In addition, I think Mack Brown has already stated a number of defensive staff that would be staying so seems like Collins won't be able to pick out his own staff (at least most of the important positional coaches).

So I see lots of challenges for Collins as UNC DC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have to say it again, I feel sorry for UNC. Hated rival and all that aside, there is potential for a lot of turmoil here as well as young athletes blowing their career opportunities. UNC is a fine institution and I hate to see them tarnished in this way.

I would not wish Collins on any of our rivals except one.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
As if we didnt have enough reason to RUTS on these guys! I REALLY want retribution now.

He lost me on his first offensive play where he pulled that silly line up in the flex formation and then "just kidding" and going pro style. Total CPJ disrespect.

I see opportunity to take out 3 years of frustration in one game. I WANT this one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wonder if Brent Key was pissed off that UNC grabbed up one of his prime DC candidates??? You have to come with the cash if you want the best.

Wait ... wut?

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Is this sarcasm?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
As if we didnt have enough reason to RUTS on these guys! I REALLY want retribution now.

He lost me on his first offensive play where he pulled that silly line up in the flex formation and then "just kidding" and going pro style. Total CPJ disrespect.

I see opportunity to take out 3 years of frustration in one game. I WANT this one.
If you’re talking about the first play of his first spring game, immediately after shifting, he started waving his arms up and down while facing the stands like he was trying to say “ Hey, look what I did! Why aren’t all of you giving me a standing ovation?!?!”

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have to say it again, I feel sorry for UNC. Hated rival and all that aside, there is potential for a lot of turmoil here as well as young athletes blowing their career opportunities. UNC is a fine institution and I hate to see them tarnished in this way.

I would not wish Collins on any of our rivals except one.
Ok, now you’ve gone too far. No, I never ever feel sorry for UNC (aka Cheaters).

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I am sure Mack Brown factored in heavily that Collins is a pretty good recruiter who knows Georgia extremely well, as well as solid work as a DC at Florida and MSU. When he interviewed he apparently had watched a ton of film and was very well prepared/had a vision for how he would improve the defense. And we know he is a salesman.
He may know Georgia well, but UNC already recruits Georgia, specifically Atlanta area, well already.
And I don't know if many HS coaches in Georgia think highly of him anyway.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Oh, the many times I have come to bury Collins, not to praise him.
But at least Caesar conquered something and I didn't waste valuable time and money going to see Caesar lose to the Picts and the Gauls and the Franks the way he who shall have an insulting moniker assigned to him did to the likes of VPI and The Citadel and Northern Illinois, never mind the blowouts at the hands of the Rebels of Ole Miss, the shillelagh-wielding Fighting Irish of Notre Dame du Lac and the inbred mouthbreathers of Athens.

He's all yours, Tar Heels. Enjoy.