North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Damn near every unc fan dislikes Mack and wishes him gone. I'm almost convinced this hire is a perverse way of putting the nail in his unc coffin. They saw what was done to our program by MoBS & unc fas are hoping he'll destroy what's left of Mack in 1 season or less so they can move along.
I’m too lazy to look it up but I thought Mack Brown was the most consistently winning coach UNC has had. Maybe it was like Richt at uga, one of their best coaches but not considered capable of getting them to the next level.

Uga fans, and powers that be, proved to be right, and replacing Richt with Smart was one of the best moves ever made in college football hirings. But, the state of Georgia is a hot bed of football talent that North Carolina cannot compare with.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I had to make a double-take after seeing this, on the surface at least from our perspective it looks like a ridiculously bad hire. When a HC makes a statement publically that maybe he needs to spend more time coaching, that is laughable. But, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm very sure none of the UNC fans I know are hoping Mack Brown fails. They are concerned he can't get the program to the point where they are competing with FSU and Clemson for the CFP. Eight win seasons aren't what they want.
Mack Brown is UNC's winningest Football coach in their history by a long way. He has won 57 more games than the closest guy. He has won 60% of his games at UNC. That is a good number. Only Dodd and Alexander have won more games at GT than Brown has at UNC. He is well liked and respected there.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I’m too lazy to look it up but I thought Mack Brown was the most consistently winning coach UNC has had. Maybe it was like Richt at uga, one of their best coaches but not considered capable of getting them to the next level.

Uga fans, and powers that be, proved to be right, and replacing Richt with Smart was one of the best moves ever made in college football hirings. But, the state of Georgia is a hot bed of football talent that North Carolina cannot compare with.
When you think you should be better than you are it kinda warps your perspective. unc football has a history & it's not good. They last won the ACC in 1980, never won a National Championship. They think they should be consistently top in the ACC, Top 10 and occasionally winning National Championships.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had to make a double-take after seeing this, on the surface at least from our perspective it looks like a ridiculously bad hire. When a HC makes a statement publically that maybe he needs to spend more time coaching, that is laughable. But, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Even if that were true, I don’t think I would say that publicly.

Ahem, if I were a head coach….

I would have team goals, built around discussion and input from coordinators as much as possible but with the final say.

Coordinators would report to me and explain what they are seeing / doing with regard to goals. Would give them a free hand to manage their responsibilities with a few caveats. 1. I might question a particular approach or decision for clarification or redirection. 2. Ask what help they need. 3. Explain that, at the convenience of their coaching schedule, I would like to come in to coach a particular technique or reinforce a particular philosophy we are imparting. 4. Would reiterate my offer of support in anyway that is helpful.

Beyond that I would need to know virtually every detail of what all coaches are doing, not to micromanage, not to look over their shoulder, but to be knowledgeable of what is happening as I am the person ultimately responsible. I would work constantly on building a staff that works as a team. Every coach would be given a chance from spring practice all the way to bowl season to address a team meeting, sharing from the heart whatever they think will help the team.

During games I would leave OCs and DCs alone, assuming that we are all on the same page with game plan and preparation that we’ve spent hours on. My role would be game management, timeouts, and those moments when adjustments require we get off script and into uncharted territory.

But I’ve never coached, other than a girl’s flag football team in college. 🤣

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Meh, UNC has been playing football for almost 140 years and has never gotten to the next level. They have 1 undefeated season ever - in 1898. I see no reason to expect that to change.

IMO, if Richt was given the resources Smart has been given, he would have done equally well. I think he's probably an equal or better coach, he just had morals and would sit players who broke the rules/got in trouble, even if it was to his detriment.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Even if that were true, I don’t think I would say that publicly.

Ahem, if I were a head coach….

I would have team goals, built around discussion and input from coordinators as much as possible but with the final say.

Coordinators would report to me and explain what they are seeing / doing with regard to goals. Would give them a free hand to manage their responsibilities with a few caveats. 1. I might question a particular approach or decision for clarification or redirection. 2. Ask what help they need. 3. Explain that, at the convenience of their coaching schedule, I would like to come in to coach a particular technique or reinforce a particular philosophy we are imparting. 4. Would reiterate my offer of support in anyway that is helpful.

Beyond that I would need to know virtually every detail of what all coaches are doing, not to micromanage, not to look over their shoulder, but to be knowledgeable of what is happening as I am the person ultimately responsible. I would work constantly on building a staff that works as a team. Every coach would be given a chance from spring practice all the way to bowl season to address a team meeting, sharing from the heart whatever they think will help the team.

During games I would leave OCs and DCs alone, assuming that we are all on the same page with game plan and preparation that we’ve spent hours on. My role would be game management, timeouts, and those moments when adjustments require we get off script and into uncharted territory.

But I’ve never coached, other than a girl’s flag football team in college. 🤣
Two comments. First, you sound like a rational and logical person who has managed other people to achieve goals. Lastly, the above doesn't sound like it's is very cool, sexy or fun...sounds like too muck work for my taste. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And ... looking at the human side of the ledger, good for him for getting the hire, now he has the chance to get redemption in the college football world and beyond.
Yeah, weirdly, if he were to get his $h!+ together I could forgive him all the pain he put Tech through. Right now I just don’t like him as a person but if he grows as a human being and learns a little personal responsibility I would applaud him.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, weirdly, if he were to get his $h!+ together I could forgive him all the pain he put Tech through. Right now I just don’t like him as a person but if he grows as a human being and learns a little personal responsibility I would applaud him.
I don't think I'll ever forgive him for what he did to us, but I'm not a hater and I feel everybody should get a second chance.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Mack Brown is UNC's winningest Football coach in their history by a long way. He has won 57 more games than the closest guy. He has won 60% of his games at UNC. That is a good number. Only Dodd and Alexander have won more games at GT than Brown has at UNC. He is well liked and respected there.
Not as much this year lots are ready for him to go.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It was on purpose. The contract did exactly what it was designed to do—make Collins hard to fire. Legal review won’t help with that.
Good counsel has to argue to get some clawbacks in a contract like that. I've sat in too many meetings with government officials on this kind of stuff and too many even decent lawyers, not even F Lee Bailey or Bobby Lee Cook, tell them to hit the brakes and let's take a look at some provisions to protect us.

We shoulda come out and said he was getting fired for cause.
'Cause he stunk at this.

Oh, well. Hey, doesn't Freddie Burden have a moving company? Maybe he can charge him 11 mill for a move to Chapel Hell.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Per the rules here, please take note of this one:

4. No personal attacks on current or former coaches or GTAA staff, to include the AD. Again, critiquing is acceptable, epithets like ‘clown’ or ‘used car salesman’ or their ilk are not kosher and will not be tolerated.

The use of POS and MoBS violates this one. I get that Collins isn't well regarded at all, but please refrain from resorting to expletive to insult him, even if it's in the form of an acronym.