North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I sent my UNC neighbor a two word text yesterday and he has not responded. He & I are part of a Saturday morning breakfast group. I wonder if he shows?

"Geoff Collins???"
His response:

"After our recent experiences with Georgia Tech, UNC can only benefit from having him on our side of the field."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
His response:

"After our recent experiences with Georgia Tech, UNC can only benefit from having him on our side of the field."
Wow.

UNC feeling like they need some kind of inside edge with Tech. That’s….something.

You know your friend so maybe you can answer. Is he just being brave about this hire? Whistling past the graveyard? Does he think Collins is somehow the reason UNC can’t beat Tech?

What do you make of this? Inquiring minds want to know. Also wonder if his response is typical for loyal tarheels trying to be supportive of the program or he is more the exception.

Four examples come to my mind.

We hired a head coach from Virginia to be DC at Tech and some of their fans both warned us and were happy he was gone.

We hired a basketball coach from Memphis and their fans were happy he was going. Same thing happened with the coach we hired before him.

We hired a football coach from Temple and their fans were jumping up and down he was gone.

To be fair, not all these were necessarily bad hires for Tech, and none of these other hires compare to the abomination we hired from Temple, but I am struck by how the fans of the receiving school always think “this time will be different” and all this coach needs is a change of scenery.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You know your friend so maybe you can answer. Is he just being brave about this hire? Whistling past the graveyard? Does he think Collins is somehow the reason UNC can’t beat Tech?

What do you make of this? Inquiring minds want to know. Also wonder if his response is typical for loyal tarheels trying to be supportive of the program or he is more the exception.
I think he is worried that Mack Brown is the problem. UNC fans are clearly concerned that the team has not been able to beat GT when the Tech program is struggling. But, you look back at the past couple of decades and GT has about 3x the number of wins in this rivalry as UNC. He is shocked that Collins was hired, but hopes his success as a DC is what comes on board at UNC, not his failure as a HC at GT.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
He was a bad HC at GT. It happens. Time to let it go.
A lot of people are mad at Collins

I'm good with it. It's good exercise and he's an ignorant as.. who continues to do stupid shi.....

over it dead horse GIF

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am struck by how the fans of the receiving school always think “this time will be different” and all this coach needs is a change of scenery.
Most of it is just hope, because they're stuck with him and what else are they going to do? If I were a UNC fan, I'd be doing the same thing - looking at his DC record and ignoring all else.

From their viewpoint, at least he won't be the HC and he won't be setting the tone. Maybe he does know something about defense, but he didn't show it here.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think he is worried that Mack Brown is the problem. UNC fans are clearly concerned that the team has not been able to beat GT when the Tech program is struggling. But, you look back at the past couple of decades and GT has about 3x the number of wins in this rivalry as UNC. He is shocked that Collins was hired, but hopes his success as a DC is what comes on board at UNC, not his failure as a HC at GT.
Damn near every unc fan dislikes Mack and wishes him gone. I'm almost convinced this hire is a perverse way of putting the nail in his unc coffin. They saw what was done to our program by MoBS & unc fas are hoping he'll destroy what's left of Mack in 1 season or less so they can move along.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
unc fas are hoping he'll destroy what's left of Mack in 1 season or less so they can move along.
I'm very sure none of the UNC fans I know are hoping Mack Brown fails. They are concerned he can't get the program to the point where they are competing with FSU and Clemson for the CFP. Eight win seasons aren't what they want.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm very sure none of the UNC fans I know are hoping Mack Brown fails. They are concerned he can't get the program to the point where they are competing with FSU and Clemson for the CFP. Eight win seasons aren't what they want.
I don't live in NC. There 8 diehard unc fans at my work, every year the deal's the same. I buy them all lunch after GT beats them. It's damn near an annual event & to a man they hate Mack, disliked his rehire and can't wait for him to leave. We all discuss football all year long interrupted by 3-4 months of basketball talk & dook basketball hatred. They are very familiar with ACC/GT football and are all shaking their heads in amazement that unc football cannot attract a decent DC, now have sunk to the depths of hiring MoBS. I can't post their nicknames and comments about MoBS, needless to say it's way more harsh than the tame stuff that's permitted on here. Not a happy group where I live, they despise this hire. Only good thing they have to say is he'll only last as long as Mack.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't live in NC. There 8 diehard unc fans at my work, every year the deal's the same. I buy them all lunch after GT beats them. It's damn near an annual event & to a man they hate Mack, disliked his rehire and can't wait for him to leave. We all discuss football all year long interrupted by 3-4 months of basketball talk & dook basketball hatred. They are very familiar with ACC/GT football and are all shaking their heads in amazement that unc football cannot attract a decent DC, now have sunk to the depths of hiring MoBS. I can't post their nicknames and comments about MoBS, needless to say it's way more harsh than the tame stuff that's permitted on here. Not a happy group where I live, they despise this hire. Only good thing they have to say is he'll only last as long as Mack.
I don't know if you like your coworkers or not. But if you don't, let it slip on Monday that you have heard from reliable sources that Collins was hired with the understanding that he is the "coach in waiting" being groomed to take over when Mack leaves/retires/gets fired. Then shut up and listen. You will not be able to post their replies here but I would love it if you would send me a PM. ;)

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if you like your coworkers or not. But if you don't, let it slip on Monday that you have heard from reliable sources that Collins was hired with the understanding that he is the "coach in waiting" being groomed to take over when Mack leaves/retires/gets fired. Then shut up and listen. You will not be able to post their replies here but I would love it if you would send me a PM. ;)
I've been screwing with them all incessently since the news started leaking out, already pulled the HC in waiting thing on them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Now THAT is cruel.

🤣

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
The GT person most excited about this hire:

J Batt

Would not surprise me in the least if J heads to his alma mater (UNC) in a year or two as their new athletic director to clean up another MoBS-associated dumpster fire.