North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We better do well against his D, gonna be real pissed if I see UNC have a better D than us next year
Only question is:

Do we prefer to face unc when they still think their defense is ok, then we humilate them and put them into the annual MoBS tailspin/suck cycle?

OR

Do we prefer to face them after their defense has already been emasculated by the rest of the ACC and we can put the cherry on top?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Only question is:

Do we prefer to face unc when they still think their defense is ok, then we humilate them and put them into the annual MoBS tailspin/suck cycle?
I like our routine of beating them when they are about 5-0 or 6-0 or some such and starting to think they are all that. Then watch the ensuing tailspin that inevitably ensues after we give everyone else the proverbial "blue print" for success against them. We do it to the U as well it seems just not as frequently. I don't want to jinx anything but we own them so bad we could beat them even when their new DC was our HC...and that is pretty telling if you ask me. So let's let them start feeling pretty good about themselves again before we **** in their bowl of ice cream. Just my opinion.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, Collins was actually was a fairly good to very good DC. You're not a 3 time Broyles nominee if you're not good at your job. I think if he focuses on football, UNC will have a good defense. They certainly have the athletes, and attract recruits.
The nominations for Broyles come mostly from the 65 P5 programs each with an OC and DC, that's 130 positions. There's a handful of non-P5 nominees each year, but basically there's 40-45 P5 nominees only requiring a peer to nominate you. The other 10 or so nominees come from other FBS programs.

MoBS only had to goad some peer coach to nominate him and he probably worked all year on it. There isn't any committee that selects assistants. Of the 55 or so nominees, the first cut gets it to 15, then a second cut to 5 finalists. If you're on either list (15 or 5), you've probably had a great season. Doubt any of MoBS's nominations made it past the circular file.

Maybe he's relegated to cheerleading, ball spotting, pictures on those idiotic signs, dance routines, slamming his oversized torso into an undersized jersey, and misc BS like that. If he recruits, game plans or calls plays during the game unc is screwed. I think they're screwed anyway because that guy is grossly incompetent, but that's their problem not ours.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem was that the people writing the big checks wanted the wrong things. And, they got their way.
If you write the BIG checks you get Jimbo Fisher-style splashes. Which hardly guarantees success either, but gives you a better hiring pool than Collins.

Given the budget for the Collins hire + staff our problem was that we had people writing medium-sized checks with big-check dreams and small-check BS detectors.

(Says a guy with the budget to write only tiny checks in comparison, ya, ya, ya.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The nominations for Broyles come mostly from the 65 P5 programs each with an OC and DC, that's 130 positions. There's a handful of non-P5 nominees each year, but basically there's 40-45 P5 nominees only requiring a peer to nominate you. The other 10 or so nominees come from other FBS programs.

MoBS only had to goad some peer coach to nominate him and he probably worked all year on it. There isn't any committee that selects assistants. Of the 55 or so nominees, the first cut gets it to 15, then a second cut to 5 finalists. If you're on either list (15 or 5), you've probably had a great season. Doubt any of MoBS's nominations made it past the circular file.

Maybe he's relegated to cheerleading, ball spotting, pictures on those idiotic signs, dance routines, slamming his oversized torso into an undersized jersey, and misc BS like that. If he recruits, game plans or calls plays during the game unc is screwed. I think they're screwed anyway because that guy is grossly incompetent, but that's their problem not ours.
Wonder if he hires some assistant coaches? Thacker? So far only Chizick leaving?

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't my area of practice, but I thought "a claw back " provision was pretty much the standard in the industry. Coach Collins certainly didn't have the leverage to omit this from the contract. This is absolutely pathetic- any lawyer advising Tech would have told our AD that the way things ended was certainly foreseeable. Unfortunately, this will probably cost Tech between 2-3 million dollars.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
UNC has a pretty good journalism school. TFG’s very limited vocabulary will drive them nuts. There will be a column in the school newspaper that says, “Elite? Why do you keep using that word? It doesn’t mean what you think it means!”

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Just because you suck as a Head Coach dose not mean you can't be a good coordinator. There are literally hundreds of examples of that in college and the pros.
TFG was a very good DC before becoming a HC. I get it...we can't stand him because of the damage he did here, but he led some good defenses at several schools.

Having a strong HC like Mack Brown should help to keep TFG reined in.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This isn't my area of practice, but I thought "a claw back " provision was pretty much the standard in the industry. Coach Collins certainly didn't have the leverage to omit this from the contract. This is absolutely pathetic- any lawyer advising Tech would have told our AD that the way things ended was certainly foreseeable. Unfortunately, this will probably cost Tech between 2-3 million dollars.
For senior vp at my company we had on ramps $ and off ramp negotiated. Off ramp $ had performance metrics

The AD put to big a rush on getting a coach and staff to keep the recruiting class.
He had just given CPJ a contract extension. When Cpj retired late in the season tstan was caught flat footted. With a limited budget to hire a guy to do the transition, he was in a weak position.

TFP played the fiddle and told him he had a team of Tech men ready to come.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys think Thacker will follow and go to UNC as well ?

No. I believe Thacker is smart enough to know he can’t work under one DC who set him up for complete failure at Tech and grow as coach.

slugboy

Staff member
For senior vp at my company we had on ramps $ and off ramp negotiated. Off ramp $ had performance metrics

The AD put to big a rush on getting a coach and staff to keep the recruiting class.
He had just given CPJ a contract extension. When Cpj retired late in the season tstan was caught flat footted. With a limited budget to hire a guy to do the transition, he was in a weak position.

TFP played the fiddle and told him he had a team of Tech men ready to come.
People keep talking about incompetence. Collins was the wrong coach.

Stansbury wasn’t in a weak bargaining position. The contract was expensive on purpose.

When Cortes prepared to fight Montezuma, he burned his ships so his soldiers couldn’t run away. They were committed to fight because they had no other options.

The contract was on purpose. It locked us into Collins. There were no escape clauses for a reason—so Collins couldn’t get fired. So he would have time to execute his plan for seven years—or close to it.

When people say “why didn’t our board or staff do these typical things to give us a way to get rid of Collins?”, they miss the entire point—we were never supposed to get rid of Collins. It was on purpose.

if you ask why there weren’t normal “outs”, it’s because they weren’t supposed to be there.

It’s simple