North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This contract was about 14 years after the Hewitt contract, which was an automatic renewal every year with no opt out, only a buyout of the entire contract amount. We must have the worst lawyers and staff in the country. This contract and the hire are what got Stansbury fired, along with his fiscal mismanagement (needed a loan to pay off Oregon State buyout) and lack of public speaking skills.
As he deserved. It’s okay to feel like the rebuild will take a while and to expect that the head coach needs a fairly long leash to accomplish it. However, as the Athletic Director, he was the one who could make the decision to keep or fire the head coach, regardless of the contract. As was demonstrated, if the situation is dire enough that the President of the Institute is having to take matters into his own hands and fire the head coach against the wishes of the AD, then the contract disincentivizing the firing is only going to backfire on the AD and put his head on the chopping block too. If Stansbury had given Collins a standard contract and then fired him after 2021, there’s a good chance he would have gotten one more opportunity to get it right. Frankly, I think it’s working out for us in the long run as I am far more impressed with J Batt than I ever was with Stansbury.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Just crazy after what he did to our program that ANYONE would touch that. I could see some hard up DII school giving him a 1 year shot, but damn a P5 program. The UNC DC job is not a bad gig & there had to be other options. They about to get the death penalty from the NCAA?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We had zero leverage with TFG. There were not many coaches who would take the job of following a hall of fame coach with a roster ill fitted to run any offense except the flex option at the pay we were offering. It was going to take four years to transition the roster. I do not think seven years was a bad decision. The bad decision was hiring the MofBS.

I hear you, but a 7 year contract that was basically guaranteed? Outrageous. Could've gotten someone like Fritz who ran a more open option type offense and not taken the huge step back we did with MofBS. Anyone with any competence (so that would not be TFG or the former AD) would've realized you run a run based option type offense that is more wide open that what PJ ran. Not some wide open, quick play, throw the ball a lot and down field offense when we didn't have those players.

I'm sure after the hire of MofBS, Stansbury was getting spammed for any number of various scams just to see what he might bite on. Sad.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I hear you, but a 7 year contract that was basically guaranteed? Outrageous. Could've gotten someone like Fritz who ran a more open option type offense and not taken the huge step back we did with MofBS. Anyone with any competence (so that would not be TFG or the former AD) would've realized you run a run based option type offense that is more wide open that what PJ ran. Not some wide open, quick play, throw the ball a lot and down field offense when we didn't have those players.

I'm sure after the hire of MofBS, Stansbury was getting spammed for any number of various scams just to see what he might bite on. Sad.
Fritz was 16-23 at Tulane when Collins was hired. That would not fly

slugboy

Staff member

The big donors wanted to get away from option. They wanted to rip the bandaid off. They wanted a commitment to big time recruiting, pro style offense and defense, and being conventional. They wanted to be Michigan. They wanted to look just like a stereotypical SEC team. They wanted to look like every other team, and win 10 games a season. They would have fought against Fritz or anyone who wanted a gradual shift.

They wanted a commitment to that program. The contract is what a commitment looks like.

The contract wasn’t accidental. It wasn’t negligent. It was intentional. Collins wasn’t an accident—but Wisenhunt would have been exactly the coach for the offense they wanted. None of the things you’re saying “they could have done” were the things they wanted to do.

The problem was that the people writing the big checks wanted the wrong things. And, they got their way.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Fritz was 16-23 at Tulane when Collins was hired. That would not fly

Ok. But he had done well at Southern. Someone like him that would've incorporated something similar to what we are doing now with the players we had on campus and maybe you get 4-6 wins instead of 3. Just a disastrous decision from the very beginning, the hire, the offense, everything.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The big donors wanted to get away from option. They wanted to rip the bandaid off. They wanted a commitment to big time recruiting, pro style offense and defense, and being conventional. They wanted to be Michigan. They wanted to look like every other team, and win 10 games a season. They would have fought against Fritz or anyone who wanted a gradual shift.

They wanted a commitment to that program. The contract is what a commitment looks like.

The problem was that the people writing the big checks wanted the wrong things. And, they got their way.

Looks like they sort of got what they deserved if they all thought Collins was the answer. Karma is a b!tch. Too bad the b!tch went poo all over our football program.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ok. But he had done well at Southern. Someone like him that would've incorporated something similar to what we are doing now with the players we had on campus and maybe you get 4-6 wins instead of 3. Just a disastrous decision from the very beginning, the hire, the offense, everything.
So after Collins would you have been good with a G5 head coach with a 16-23 record at the G5 level? This board would have gone nuts, appropriately. Collins was a bad HC, period, The hiring was not as bad at the time as LNJ has said there were not many proven coaches interested. As others have said the Big Money guys didn't want an option based offense.

He may be a good DC at UNC. Hard to be worse. They have defensive talent.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We had the IT team change CBK's screensaver for when he gets back from vacation.

Happy So Excited GIF by The Roku Channel

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Desperate or stupid. I wouldn't want that guy within a hundred yards of my football team.
Morons with money can do some really bad things to your football program. They should have looked closely to what happened here, but they probably believe they are smarter than us plus they can recruit whoever it wants to their program unlike us.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Morons with money can do some really bad things to your football program. They should have looked closely to what happened here, but they probably believe they are smarter than us plus they can recruit whoever it wants to their program unlike us.
One of his guys, Suddes, is still at UNC in some capacity. He may have advocated for TFG. Chizick had a much better resume than TFG. They may have wanted a better recruiter and he was decent at that his first couple of years.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess is he will work extra hard vs Tech.Knows all our secrets. lol
Hahahahahaha! Chances are that by the time we play them, the only remnants from his staff still at Tech will be Key and Weinke. Key is no longer the OL coach, and Weinke is coaching players who weren’t around when MoBS was. You think G**** C****** has this game circled? Key probably hates MoBS with a burning passion for the laughingstock his Alma Mater became when the clown was at the helm.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in another site and will post it here as well because I think it is very true and shows how he was always at least 2 steps of our AD:

Becoming a DC at another school, as I suspected, was Collins' fall back for his coaching career for when he would be exposed and fired as a fraudulent P5 HC that he knew was inevitable. Was why Thacker was never relieved of his DC title because GC3 did not want to risk tainting his reputation as a DC under his own head coaching failures.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
We better do well against his D, gonna be real pissed if I see UNC have a better D than us next year

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We better do well against his D, gonna be real pissed if I see UNC have a better D than us next year

To be fair, Collins was actually was a fairly good to very good DC. You're not a 3 time Broyles nominee if you're not good at your job. I think if he focuses on football, UNC will have a good defense. They certainly have the athletes, and attract recruits.