No UVA ATL chart yet?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I figured it does relate to depth.

I have some questions about Caralla as our S&C coach. First off, he seems to be very well respected and mentioned often as one of the better S&C coaches in college football. However, I feel like every year we seem to get to get decimated by injuries. I understand that injuries happen to every team but the last few years with Caralla as the S&C coach it seems like our injury numbers are disproportionately high. A major part of S&C coaching is working on attributes like flexibility and such that are designed to minimize injuries.

I am not trying to throw Caralla under the bus cause I like the guy. I am just genuinely curious what other people's thoughts are on this. Are our injury numbers actually that high or is it just we don't have the depth so every injury seems more impactful? If they are high, what other explanations are there (like just dumb luck)?
What kind of injury do you think S&C can eliminate?

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I figured it does relate to depth.

I have some questions about Caralla as our S&C coach. First off, he seems to be very well respected and mentioned often as one of the better S&C coaches in college football. However, I feel like every year we seem to get to get decimated by injuries. I understand that injuries happen to every team but the last few years with Caralla as the S&C coach it seems like our injury numbers are disproportionately high. A major part of S&C coaching is working on attributes like flexibility and such that are designed to minimize injuries.

I am not trying to throw Caralla under the bus cause I like the guy. I am just genuinely curious what other people's thoughts are on this. Are our injury numbers actually that high or is it just we don't have the depth so every injury seems more impactful? If they are high, what other explanations are there (like just dumb luck)?

I'm not arguing your point at all but it doesn't seem to me that our injuries this year are as bad as in most previously - certainly not as bad as 2015. Can someone please name those players who have missed more than one game to injury. And what has happened to Clayton?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
They have said, and continued to say that our base Defense is the 425.

CAT had said repeatedly he doesn’t think the 335 offers any magical benefit to us over the 425 but my guess is we stayed it in because we are short DTs and like playing an extra LB with Charlie dropping wood on folks lately.

We have more, and better, options at LB than DT for filling out the platoon style rotation we use so it fits we would be in it more often.

The “effort based” thing is a cheesy times infinity, and I dislike it strongly. It makes me feel like we are a middle school church camp team, but I just ignore it like I do the money down. Not my cup o tea, but I’ve got plenty of bourbon and they look the same in a glass. 🫖🥃

Sorry if it was brought up before. ( really)

But two things, first aren't we now running a 3-3-5? And why is only the D effort based?

I don't care about the hype, just want the results to back it up.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The “effort based” thing is a cheesy times infinity, and I dislike it strongly. It makes me feel like we are a middle school church camp team, but I just ignore it like I do the money down. Not my cup o tea, but I’ve got plenty of bourbon and they look the same in a glass. 🫖🥃
You got the right idea. Just put the bourbon in your teacup and pretend...

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
What kind of injury do you think S&C can eliminate?

As mentioned in the article, it is important to build muscle the right way to prevent injuries. In addition, a part of the S&C is working on flexibility which helps too. It is not going to stop all injuries like when a player gets rolled up on but it will help in stabilizing joints to limit knee injuries and minimize pulling muscles like hamstrings.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not arguing your point at all but it doesn't seem to me that our injuries this year are as bad as in most previously - certainly not as bad as 2015. Can someone please name those players who have missed more than one game to injury. And what has happened to Clayton?
Part of my post is even questioning if it is actually a lot of injuries or if it is just me. I know 2015 was especially bad but it just feels like to me that the last 3 years under Caralla have been worse than most. Kenny Cooper has had issues staying healthy, Jalen Camp missed most of a season. TK missed a good bit of time these last few years. Blackstrain had a season ending injury before the season started. Simms was out for a few games. We just lost Dylan Leonard for the rest of the season. There are plenty more but those are just some of the ones I can think of from the last 3 years off the top of my head.

Also, some of it is not just missing games but players playing injured too. Thacker mentioned that we were pulling guys out of the medical tent to get on the field cause we were losing so many to injuries. In addition, there have been a lot of issues with players on both OL and DL.

I know not all of those injuries are preventable even with the best S&C coach but it still seems like above average numbers.

slugboy

Staff member
Part of my post is even questioning if it is actually a lot of injuries or if it is just me. I know 2015 was especially bad but it just feels like to me that the last 3 years under Caralla have been worse than most. Kenny Cooper has had issues staying healthy, Jalen Camp missed most of a season. TK missed a good bit of time these last few years. Blackstrain had a season ending injury before the season started. Simms was out for a few games. We just lost Dylan Leonard for the rest of the season. There are plenty more but those are just some of the ones I can think of from the last 3 years off the top of my head.

Also, some of it is not just missing games but players playing injured too. Thacker mentioned that we were pulling guys out of the medical tent to get on the field cause we were losing so many to injuries. In addition, there have been a lot of issues with players on both OL and DL.

I know not all of those injuries are preventable even with the best S&C coach but it still seems like above average numbers.
For a while, Stanford had a mobility-centered approach with what seemed like a lower injury rate and good performance. The Falcons had an S&C coach out of that philosophy, then they fired him and were hit by injuries the next season.

(Kenny Cooper has dealt with injuries pre-Collins. Lightning does strike in the same place twice, unfortunately.)

I did do some googling. For one profiled “D1” team, the NIH researchers saw between 8-12 surgeries per year.

A quick scan gives me the impression that we’re probably average in how often we get injured. We’ve changed up a lot of positions, especially on the OL and at TE, and I think that magnifies the effect of any injuries.

7691F170-FEC3-4F9A-B785-F87D385F7643.png

Knee injuries are the most common football injury, in both games and practice.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For a while, Stanford had a mobility-centered approach with what seemed like a lower injury rate and good performance. The Falcons had an S&C coach out of that philosophy, then they fired him and were hit by injuries the next season.

(Kenny Cooper has dealt with injuries pre-Collins. Lightning does strike in the same place twice, unfortunately.)

I did do some googling. For one profiled “D1” team, the NIH researchers saw between 8-12 surgeries per year.

A quick scan gives me the impression that we’re probably average in how often we get injured. We’ve changed up a lot of positions, especially on the OL and at TE, and I think that magnifies the effect of any injuries.

View attachment 11472

Knee injuries are the most common football injury, in both games and practice.
Where it seems the injuries have been excessive is on the OL.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Proper S&C definitely can minimize soft tissue injuries
So have we had a lot of those? My point is what injuries did the poster think S&C is guilty of? Some injuries happen because of freak occurrences, some are do to poor technique or simply slipping on the turf. Hell, maybe we’re wearing the wrong shoes, that can cause problems. Blacks train landed wrong making an acrobatic catch, how do you “train” your body for that. You can’t just throw out S&C and injuries with no context. And yes I know it was a question, but it seems a rather pointed one.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
So have we had a lot of those? My point is what injuries did the poster think S&C is guilty of? Some injuries happen because of freak occurrences, some are do to poor technique or simply slipping on the turf. Hell, maybe we’re wearing the wrong shoes, that can cause problems. Blacks train landed wrong making an acrobatic catch, how do you “train” your body for that. You can’t just throw out S&C and injuries with no context. And yes I know it was a question, but it seems a rather pointed one.
My question is just to have a discussion. I am sorry you seem to have taken such a pointed stance against my question. I don't know the nature of most of the injuries as they tend not to release any of that information. Also good strength and conditioning could have helped in reducing the severity of an injury from coming down awkwardly like in Blackstrain. That being said I don't know any details of what happened with Blackstrain or if different S&C would have had any impact.

My original comment is that it appears to me that we have been plagued by injuries the last few year. It is also known that improper S&C can have an impact on injuries (see article I posted earlier and anecdotal evidence that slugboy mentioned with Stanford and Falcons). I really like Caralla and as I mentioned it seems like he is well respected in the industry so it is odd that (as it appears to me) we are having a lot of injuries. I posted it to see if other people think we are having above average injuries or if people have insights into what else may be happening.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
OL, DL, and DB are the most injured positions in NCAA football. On the OL, I think you just have to be able to go more than 2 deep.
most on the OL and DL are because of their size , the human body is not meant to be that size hence why most after their playing days want to lose weight .

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
OL, DL, and DB are the most injured positions in NCAA football. On the OL, I think you just have to be able to go more than 2 deep.
Our guys second up are just as injured unfortunately. Guys like Pendley, Kirby, Smith on the OL don’t appear to be available. Not sure if we are trying to save Franklin’s redshirt too.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My question is just to have a discussion. I am sorry you seem to have taken such a pointed stance against my question. I don't know the nature of most of the injuries as they tend not to release any of that information. Also good strength and conditioning could have helped in reducing the severity of an injury from coming down awkwardly like in Blackstrain. That being said I don't know any details of what happened with Blackstrain or if different S&C would have had any impact.

My original comment is that it appears to me that we have been plagued by injuries the last few year. It is also known that improper S&C can have an impact on injuries (see article I posted earlier and anecdotal evidence that slugboy mentioned with Stanford and Falcons). I really like Caralla and as I mentioned it seems like he is well respected in the industry so it is odd that (as it appears to me) we are having a lot of injuries. I posted it to see if other people think we are having above average injuries or if people have insights into what else may be happening.
I don’t think we have anymore injuries than anybody else. If you look at Georgia, they’ve actually had an insane amount of season ending injuries from both the preseason and into the season. It’s scary to think they could be much better than they are, but they’ve had at least 6-7 guys who missed the whole season or will miss the rest of the season with injuries.

Injuries just happen. I don’t think there is any correlation between Caralla and injuries