No one out for VT, TM will start

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ acts no differently than Saban, people just take it better from a winner. I'm a weird mix of agreeing with PJ and thinking why does he make such a deal about things that don't matter much.

Saban vs Johnson: Saban is more positive, in my opinion. Not by a wide margin, though.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say he is. Being financially independent plus having a nice golden parachute frees one up to say and do whatever he/she feels like.

This falls far short of having a positive impact on recruiting and fundraising. No reason, and no excuse for pissing on reporters
Rainbows and unicorns to the rescue.

You mean like Dabo- the guy who exudes positive messages, finds the good in his players, and has his team playing at a high level? Keep believing the coach does not affect the health of the program if you want to, but I believe this adage that you can catch more flies with ho ey than vinegar is applicable to CPJ.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This falls far short of having a positive impact on recruiting and fundraising. No reason, and no excuse for pissing on reporters

You mean like Dabo- the guy who exudes positive messages, finds the good in his players, and has his team playing at a high level? Keep believing the coach does not affect the health of the program if you want to, but I believe this adage that you can catch more flies with ho ey than vinegar is applicable to CPJ.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html
Find Clemson on the list. Then try to find GT on the list. I can give you tens of millions of reasons why Clemson is performing at a higher level than GT has in recent years.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You seem to miss the point. Does Dabo affect the perception of Clemson football? Money is clearly a factor and so is the coach.
I’m missing nothing. The Clemson program decided to put their money where there mouth is. Dabo and Saban are 100% different, yet their results are similar. One of the main similarities is the investment being made into the program and the support of their institutions.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You seem to miss the point. Does Dabo affect the perception of Clemson football? Money is clearly a factor and so is the coach.
I’ll say this again: If some competitor of mine in business is outspending me 4:1, I’ve got no chance of winning consistently. I don’t care how hard I work, how freaking amazingly creative & brilliant I am, how much employee *** I can kiss, etc the odds of me winning is so small you might as well buy a lottery ticket instead. In the real world overcoming that type of disparity is as rare as finding a golden unicorn. If you’re being outspent by the majority of the competition, well you had better like looking at buttholes because that’s the view when you’re not the lead dog.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What happens to a reporter at Alabama if he goes around the official channels of communications and starts asking scout team players about inside information? What happens to reporters who cover Apple if they go to lower level workers to try to get inside information about the company or products? In both of those cases, those reporters lose access to the "official" channels of communication.

Ken doesn't have to let the GTAA tell him how to cover them. However, IF Ken is snooping around scout team players to get "unofficial" information, then the GTAA could revoke his access to press conferences, players(at least in an official capacity), press areas for the games, etc. The GTAA should not tell a reporter that they have to make positive and glowing stories, but they can and should limit access to information that they consider confidential. If a reporter wants better stories and better access, then one way to get that access is to respect confidential information, not to seek it out and blast it to the public. If a reporter wants very little access, but an occasional bombshell, then the way Ken does it is the way to do it.

The mutt coach a few years ago basically told the press that they cannot release injury information until the head coach had issued a statement. They did that because a reporter tweeted an injury report from the practice field and the players parents learned about the injury from the press before the staff had an opportunity to inform them. The mutt press actually respected his wishes and stopped reporting about injuries until Richt announced it. Many of those same reporters also reported that Richt was a terrible coach and that the mutts should fire him. There are ways for a reporter to be independent, yet respectful.
Please don't tell me that Alabama is now your standard. The point remains unchanged: it ain't Johnson's job to tell a reporter what to report and when to report it. I am pretty sure they work for two different concerns with two different responsibilities. And if a reporter is so bad that he cannot report because he is "cut off" from "official channels" -- read some history about Saigon's 5 o'clock follies sometimes; hilarious except some truth there -- then he or she needs to find another line of work. Right now. You are confusing your boostership and fan loyalty to a reporter's job description. (I guess that is there: duty one: report.) GT has its own flack crew I am sure, and "reporting" "official news" -- is that not an oxymoron? -- is what they do.

If Johnson is unhappy, I am pretty sure the reporter doesn't lose any sleep over it. A football coach is the least of his concerns.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
61. Georgia Tech, $17.38 million
Paul Johnson uses the triple-option as a talent equalizer and it helps him deal with a financial inequality as well. Georgia Tech has the second-smallest athletic budget in the country, though it does devote a good chunk of it to football.

This quote is only for the P5 teams.

People can ***** and moan about CPJ and the offense all they want while keeping their pockets in their pants. Until GT decides to pay for big boy football, it does not matter who the coach is.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Please don't tell me that Alabama is now your standard. The point remains unchanged: it ain't Johnson's job to tell a reporter what to report and when to report it. I am pretty sure they work for two different concerns with two different responsibilities. And if a reporter is so bad that he cannot report because he is "cut off" from "official channels" -- read some history about Saigon's 5 o'clock follies sometimes; hilarious except some truth there -- then he or she needs to find another line of work. Right now. You are confusing your boostership and fan loyalty to a reporter's job description. (I guess that is there: duty one: report.) GT has its own flack crew I am sure, and "reporting" "official news" -- is that not an oxymoron? -- is what they do.

If Johnson is unhappy, I am pretty sure the reporter doesn't lose any sleep over it. A football coach is the least of his concerns.

Did I say that Alabama is my standard? Where exactly did I say that? I don't like Alabama or Apple. Alabama will blacklist reporters if they go around official channels. I don't know of any instance where they have blacklisted a reporter for writing something that they don't like. Apple even blacklists reporters solely for writing bad reviews of Apple products. IF a reporter uses his official access to convince inside people to reveal inside information,(for example a freshman who sees said reporter at all of the official events), then that team or that company would be well within ethical standards to blacklist that reporter.

When did CPJ tell Ken what he could and could not report? He evaded the question and he said not to believe everything that is heard. Where did he tell Ken that he could or could not report anything? The one example I gave of a coach telling reporters what they could or could not report was Richt when he was at the mutts. If Richt gives reporters access to practices, and then the reporters use that access to publicly announce injuries before the parents of the athlete are able to be notified, then that reporter should not be given such access any more. I guess you totally missed my statement that some of the reporters who abided by the ban on reporting in practice injuries also wrote very negative reports about Richt. It wasn't about them towing the mutt's line, it was about doing things in a respectful manner.

I am definitely not confusing fan loyalty with a reporter's job description. You however are confusing the first amendment with access and respect. Reporters can report whatever they want to. They cannot however be guaranteed access to: closed practices, closed press conferences, closed areas of athletic events, press pass access to athletic competitions, etc. I don't know where Ken got the information. It could be that he overheard some players talking at JR Crickets. However, he has in the past specifically violated chain of communications protocols while on GTAA property. If he is indeed doing that again, then he should be banned from GTAA access.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
By the way, did all those who think CPJ is too nasty to the media, did ya'll see what Gundy at Okla State did after their game yesterday. He literally blew a raspberry at a reporter's question about criticism of one of his players on twitter. Said he did not give a rat's a@# about twitter comments, and then blew another raspberry. But, he just beat #6 Texas, so it's all good......(and by the way, I agree with his assessment of comments on twitter anyway.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Did I say that Alabama is my standard? ...However, he has in the past specifically violated chain of communications protocols while on GTAA property. If he is indeed doing that again, then he should be banned from GTAA access.
Well, now. You are the one who used Alabama as your example for news suppression, thus the standard.

As for the last part, wow. Communications protocols? GTAA property? You are still conflating a reporter's duties and your own anger that he by golly did not do what Johnson told him by golly and that by golly is just wrong and so ... Johnson can have all the protocols he wants to channel. He doesn't work for Johnson. The AJC presumably has its own "protocols", though I have never heard such referred to, and Johnson is not bound by them. Here's the nut of this silly argument: He is a reporter who made Johnson mad. Lots of reporters make Johnson mad. Always have. Too bad. You think Paul Johnson is the only football coach in the universe who goes off on reporters or wants to tell them how they can get their news? The reporter has his job and his only clients are the people who read him. Not the coaches who want to control him. All else is elephant dust. The banning from the property thing is a complicated bit of public access vs. authority but generally I'd say GTAA would lose that battle big time. (It is not the case of, say, a public school that limits access as it is under the authority of the principal. So it may be "public" but the public cannot tramp through the halls without permission.)

All else is elephant dust. Johnson got mad. The reporter stood his ground. Next game is in Chapel Hill.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I liked pockets since it made me think. And is somewhat appropriate.

What is being lost here (to me) is that Ken never revealed that TM wasn't practicing. Even after CPJ went curmudgeon. Ken only printed what was said.

What is being lost here (to me) is how CPJ’s response was so terrible. Did ken have some sort of breakdown afterward and cry on your shoulder?

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll say this again: If some competitor of mine in business is outspending me 4:1, I’ve got no chance of winning consistently. I don’t care how hard I work, how freaking amazingly creative & brilliant I am, how much employee *** I can kiss, etc the odds of me winning is so small you might as well buy a lottery ticket instead. In the real world overcoming that type of disparity is as rare as finding a golden unicorn. If you’re being outspent by the majority of the competition, well you had better like looking at buttholes because that’s the view when you’re not the lead dog.

If I understand you correctly, you feel that all fans concerned about CPJ's demeanor should, apparently, STFU because only money affects recruiting, media coverage, fan attitudes toward the team, season ticket sales, and more. Is that what you are saying?

LibertyTurns

Banned
If I understand you correctly, you feel that all fans concerned about CPJ's demeanor should, apparently, STFU because only money affects recruiting, media coverage, fan attitudes toward the team, season ticket sales, and more. Is that what you are saying?
No it’s not a singular problem and personally I do not care for some of his replies but I don’t care what kind of wonderful amazing human being you anoint as the new coach he will not be able to overcome the disparity in the arms race on a consistent basis when we’re being outspent 4:1. DabO did not elevate Clemp solely on the basis of his magnetic personality and if you think so I’m not sure what to tell you. Name me a single coach in the last 30 years in any major conference that ever consistently finished in the Top 10 that was underfunded at that level. Actually, don’t waste your time because that person does not exist.

O’Leary was able to crack the Top 25 4 years in a row in some of the polls if I recall correctly but that was before the advent of ESecPN. Try getting a GT 7-5 team ranked in the Top 25 now a days that beat zero Top 25 teams. Would never happen. You’d have 6-6 Sec teams ranked ahead of us and with the round robin losing in that conference they’d always stay ahead of a 7-5 ACC team.