NL EAST 2021

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The Royals have announced a three-team deal to acquire outfielder Andrew Benintendi from the Red Sox. Outfielder Franchy Cordero is part of the return going to Boston, along with righty Josh Winckowski, who’ll come from the Mets. The Boston org also receives three players to be named later, two from Kansas City and one from New York. On their end, the Mets will add K.C. outfield prospect Khalil Lee.
Winckowski was one of the players acquired in the Matz trade to Toronto, and was the Mets 26th ranked prospect. Since there were 13 pitching prospects ranked ahead of him in our organization, we can give him up. Lee now slots in as the Mets 7th ranked prospect, being the #2 outfielder. Our top outfield prospect was drafted last year out of high school, and has not played a professional game yet. So definitely fills a need at the AAA level and above.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to see if Justin Turner ends up with the Mets?
He is going to sign, soon.
Definitely interesting. Started his career with the Mets and then they cut him after 4 years. The rest of his story is history, becoming an All Star and winning a World Series title with the Dodgers.

From the reports I've seen, the Mets are looking to upgrade over JD Davis at 3B, but I think it would take a lot more money to sign Turner away from LA than it's worth. Turner's getting up there in age baseball wise, and JD is a young player who has been moved around defensively with the Mets, from LF to 3B. When he was given a regular shot at 3B, which was his natural position, he played better defensively than many expected.

I say no to Turner, and give JD the shot to excel, which they didn't do with Turner the first time around.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Mets sign Kevin Pillar.

Who is ready for some Spring Training?
I'm ready for spring training! Just disappointed that I can't drive down to Miami this year to see the Jackets in an early season series against the Canes, while catching Mets spring training ball along the way.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
.....from the NL West: Padres extend Fernando Tatis, Jr.
Three thoughts; 1)This makes one think the Braves will do the same soon w/Freddie Freeman, 2)The Padres are building up a team to challenge LA Dodgers and the rest of us, 3)Those two clubs forementioned above are the elite of that division, while the East 1-5 might be the most balanced in MLB? Nats., Mets, Braves, Fish and the thrill Phils. could find themselves last even having talent like Realmuto.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Tatis, Jr. got 14 year extensio/340 m. with only 143 ML AB’s.
Now the Mets just have to lock up Lindor and Conforto. Lindor will be for higher dollars per year, but fewer years than Tatis, I suspect. Springer's deal will likely be a starting point for Conforto, with Conforto being 4 years younger and having Scott Boras as his agent...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
But it's spring training! And tomorrow is GT Baseball's opening day! Even though I won't be in the ATL for the start of the season tomorrow, I couldn't be more excited. Even with 6+ inches of snow on the ground here.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Timmy Tebow retired yesterday. I guess the Cohen led Mets don't need his Florida gates to keep them afloat. And I thought we didn't sign Springer or JBJ because we were saving that spot for Tebow...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From MLBTR....

8:14am: It’s a two-year, $20MM deal with a player option for a third season, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports (Twitter links). The deal, which is still pending a physical, will pay Walker $10MM in 2021 and $7MM in 2022. The player option is at a base of $6MM and can rise to $8.5MM via escalator clauses based on Walker’s performance. There’s a $3MM buyout on the option, should Walker decline, making for a total of $20MM in guarantees.

7:04am: The Mets and free-agent right-hander Taijuan Walker have agreed to terms on a contract, tweets SNY’s Andy Martino. The Excel Sports client will step into the rotation alongside Jacob deGrom, Carlos Carrasco, Marcus Stroman and David Peterson.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think this signing is also insurance for next year and beyond. This year likely pushes Peterson or Lucchesi to the 6 spot if Walker wins the job, then perhaps to the 6 & 7 spots if Syndergaard comes back and performs well. Stroman and Syndergaard are free agents after this year, so if both leave we still have deGrom, Carrasco, Walker, Peterson, Lucchesi, followed by a few others we've either signed or traded for to improve our depth. Always good to have pitchers you thought would would be starting for you either in the bullpen or AAA because of depth!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
  • José Martínez has a “twisted left knee” after colliding with an umpire during today’s Spring Training contest, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com was among those to report. He’ll likely go for an MRI tomorrow. The Mets signed the 32-year-old Martínez this winter after he struggled through a down 2020 season split between the Rays and Cubs. A significant injury would be a blow to his chances of earning a backup first base/corner outfield role this spring.
Not seeing much relevant info. on the Nats., Fred?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
  • José Martínez has a “twisted left knee” after colliding with an umpire during today’s Spring Training contest, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com was among those to report. He’ll likely go for an MRI tomorrow. The Mets signed the 32-year-old Martínez this winter after he struggled through a down 2020 season split between the Rays and Cubs. A significant injury would be a blow to his chances of earning a backup first base/corner outfield role this spring.
Not seeing much relevant info. on the Nats., Fred?
MRI apparently revealed a torn meniscus, which will require surgery and keep him out for 4 months. I didn't expect him to make the opening day roster, but 4 months for a torn meniscus seems like a long time. But I'm not a medical doctor, so what do I know???