NIL, Transfers, and Stratospheric Salaries. What Is the Future of GT Football and College Football in General?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
i think separately NIL and the portal are good things but combined they create this mess that we’re in. i feel like they would solve the problem if you were ineligible for NIL until a year after your transfer. similar to how you used to be unable to play for a year
Agree. Also believe if the College Presidents and NCAA were to Reinstate the Freshman ineligibility rule and require the one-
year delay on Transfers, this would automatically place more emphasis on academics. If one only wants to play football and
be ready for the NFL in Three years, would you be willing to study and practice only for one year before being eligible to play.

As far as I know the Colleges and NCAA could enforce these two rules. I believe the Supreme Court only ruled on payment for NIL.
Correct me if I am wrong.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The stories of the shenanigans back in the Heisman era when CFB was barely more sophisticated than club sports teams are now leads me to say I'd prefer a return to that. I mean, ffs, $13m NIL for one player?!? I don't even think coaches are worth that much less a single player.

Blacksmith

Georgia Tech Fan
Good morning everyone. First time poster and long time reader of this board. Been a Tech fan since moving to Atlanta from Bluefield, West Virginia as a kid in 1977.

The questions to me are these: Can Georgia Tech find a niche in this talent market? Can it win these battles in a disciplined and intelligent manner?

I think Coach Key is showing us there is a place at the table for Georgia Tech in this Wild West competition that is the transfer portal. Every year the 4 and 5 stars hit the football factories. The next year a good portion of them will leave. Some of them will leave because of a poor fit with the school, while others will depart in search of more playing time. But there will also be a range of transfers, undergrads and graduates, who are seeking the kind of protection a strong degree can provide them.

Georgia Tech can offer the playing time with a major market spotlight and a P5 conference. But for the transfer who is looking long-term knowing they can do better academically as well as athletically, Tech has what no other FBS program competing in the transfer market possesses: the degree with the best return on investment.

Many of these players in the transfer portal will only be thinking about getting the kind of playing time NFL scouts notice. But there will be a segment of them who, having seen the other side of things at the colleges and universities where the athletic side is almost the only thing that matters, will want more from their new school than simply a showcase stage for their athletic talent.

From what I've seen, this coaching staff has done a good job getting the message regarding the strengths of Georgia Tech out to transfers who can come in and fill needed roles. While it is never going to be easy for a school that looks upon the concept of easy with contempt, there is nothing wrong with The Institute's football program that cannot be fixed by what is right with The Institute itself. Those who have done the best at Georgia Tech are those who are most comfortable with the school and what it is all about. I look forward to better days ahead, even in days of gridiron chaos at the collegiate level.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What would keep NIL and free transfers from happening in your academic league? Or keep the pro schools from picking off your best players year after year anyway? And how many schools in the BIG, SEC, etc do you think are gonna give up that sweet Conf TV money?
Simply do not allow it in any way shape or form.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, no NCAA in what I envision says hi.
Perhaps you do not understand the court's decision. It won't matter if it's another organization or group of schools that attempts to limit S-A's compensation. It will rule afoul of anti-trust/restraint of trade law. What do you envision that would work around this?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
NIL has nothing to do with the teams or the school. The Supreme Court ruled that a school cannot prevent an athlete from being compensated for their Name, Image, or Likeness. Being compensated for their Name, Image, or Likeness does not affect their amateur status. No school can do anything about NIL. They can't comment on it specifically or have anything to do with it. That would be a major NCAA infraction, not that they're enforcing anything now anyway. If the NCAA came at Tech for anything now, I'd tell the NCAA to get the hell off my property. I'd put that Orange Bowl trophy back in the trophy case right now.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I cannot fathom why having a conference with schools that opt out of the NIL madness for players being given scholarships and nothing else is a matter for courts.
What would the non-athlete version be? Lose your scholarship for taking an internship? Does the school have the right to prevent an adult student from entering in an otherwise legal contract like that?

slugboy

Staff member
The first section of https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...vernor-charlie-baker-save-college-sports/amp/ is a worthwhile read. Charlie Baker (new NCAA prez) has the unenviable task of overcoming the mess his predecessors left.

What would the non-athlete version be? Lose your scholarship for taking an internship? Does the school have the right to prevent an adult student from entering in an otherwise legal contract like that?
Some scholarships might, but that wouldn’t be normal.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The first section of https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...vernor-charlie-baker-save-college-sports/amp/ is a worthwhile read. Charlie Baker (new NCAA prez) has the unenviable task of overcoming the mess his predecessors left.

Some scholarships might, but that wouldn’t be normal.
Thanks - the article is an interesting take on the work the new NCAA Prez has facing him.

The author proposes an “easy fix” by placing some limits on NIL, with player eligibility penalties if the rules are broken. That’s a naïve view in my opinion because any league-wide restriction on NIL under current law runs afoul of anti-trust regulation, exactly why the Supreme Court recently ruled against the NCAA.

There’s going to be a need for some creative “carrot and stick” thinking in order to rein in the free-for-all that exists now. As the article mentioned, the NCAA made things worse this year by removing their eligibility rule for first-time transfers, which had the effect of pouring gasoline on the fire.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks - the article is an interesting take on the work the new NCAA Prez has facing him.

The author proposes an “easy fix” by placing some limits on NIL, with player eligibility penalties if the rules are broken. That’s a naïve view in my opinion because any league-wide restriction on NIL under current law runs afoul of anti-trust regulation, exactly why the Supreme Court recently ruled against the NCAA.

There’s going to be a need for some creative “carrot and stick” thinking in order to rein in the free-for-all that exists now. As the article mentioned, the NCAA made things worse this year by removing their eligibility rule for first-time transfers, which had the effect of pouring gasoline on the fire.
It seems the way to go about it would be to limit NIL deals from being contingent upon enrollment/playing at a specific school. I don't know if the Supreme Court ruling gives any insight as to whether that would be allowed, but I would think it would be a relatively simple argument to state that if deals are contingent upon specific school then they inherently are compensating the NIL of the school itself and, therefore, are subject to NCAA jurisdiction.

I'd imagine the second a booster's NIL $ is going to a player on a rival team, the excess will dry up real quick.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It seems the way to go about it would be to limit NIL deals from being contingent upon enrollment/playing at a specific school. I don't know if the Supreme Court ruling gives any insight as to whether that would be allowed, but I would think it would be a relatively simple argument to state that if deals are contingent upon specific school then they inherently are compensating the NIL of the school itself and, therefore, are subject to NCAA jurisdiction.

I'd imagine the second a booster's NIL $ is going to a player on a rival team, the excess will dry up real quick.
That's already the rule, it just isn't enforced.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The ncaa can control its members and not the players or coaches = free country

Power 5 FOOTBALL
To put disincentive on large NIL, reduce raiding, we should penalize STOCK PILING OF TALENT 6-8 Schools whose TEAMS WHO DOMINATE THE PLAYOFFS.
Ncaa board of gov can change max allowed number of scholarships and can place restriction who participates in games .
They currently limit the total scholarships to 85 at start of season. They allow more players for scout teams 105 or more and scout team players are allowed to play.
A STARTING IDEA
- based on principal that money flees uncertainty.
1. Increase scholarship limit slightly to 88.
2. Only allow scholarship players to play.
3. In the following year schools in playoffs will receive a reduced scholarship limit associated with level of participation in playoff.
Examplec
The reduction will be spread over a 6 year period as selected by the school.

A starter ratio = make 12 team playoffs loose 3 scholarships, advance loose 3 more, advance loose 3 , advance loose 3.

Some sort of a ratio will make it more difficult to build a dynasty due to repeat success.

No need for congress, lawyers, all in house AND SPREADS the wealth, while making the paying or taking $$$ NIL higher risk ( lower value)

[ pro teams did something like this for long term competition leveling]

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure it is the rule. My understanding is that The Tech Way NIL deals are dependent upon enrollment at Tech.
If it is, then it would seem to be an issue with the current rules. As recently as last October the NCAA released some clarifications to their interim policies such that schools could now do things like cross-promotion with NIL entities, but as far as I know the rule against using enrollment as a condition (or vice-versa) remains in place. The actual wording from the NCAA publication:
"An NIL agreement between a SA and a booster/NIL entity may not be guaranteed or promised contingent on initial or continuing enrollment at a particular institution."

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The ncaa can control its members and not the players or coaches = free country

Power 5 FOOTBALL
To put disincentive on large NIL, reduce raiding, we should penalize STOCK PILING OF TALENT 6-8 Schools whose TEAMS WHO DOMINATE THE PLAYOFFS.
Ncaa board of gov can change max allowed number of scholarships and can place restriction who participates in games .
They currently limit the total scholarships to 85 at start of season. They allow more players for scout teams 105 or more and scout team players are allowed to play.
A STARTING IDEA
- based on principal that money flees uncertainty.
1. Increase scholarship limit slightly to 88.
2. Only allow scholarship players to play.
3. In the following year schools in playoffs will receive a reduced scholarship limit associated with level of participation in playoff.
Examplec
The reduction will be spread over a 6 year period as selected by the school.

A starter ratio = make 12 team playoffs loose 3 scholarships, advance loose 3 more, advance loose 3 , advance loose 3.

Some sort of a ratio will make it more difficult to build a dynasty due to repeat success.

No need for congress, lawyers, all in house AND SPREADS the wealth, while making the paying or taking $$$ NIL higher risk ( lower value)

[ pro teams did something like this for long term competition leveling]
I like your thinking on this. It's going to be very difficult to put rules in place that limit S-A compensation (or eligibility tied to it) going forward, but an arbitrary number of restrictions (or punishments) can be applied to member schools.
Things like scholarship count, team size, playoff eligibility, etc are fair game.