Nil-NCAA.com link

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Pressure?? Try going to college during the Vietnam War and if you fell behind in hours, then you got drafted. These kids can take as long as they want and the number of hours to graduate has been reduced. That was pressure.
You left out exam Do-overs and grade inflation.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Nil, NIL, NIL...... the ultimate key to a program's success for 2024 and beyond...... It appears that Damon is well funded since his incoming class is ranked in the Top 15, we may dancing next year...
Given Key’s new helicopter and that we’re in the mix for lots of 4* recruits, I’d say our football NIL is competitive too. GT admin is not naive, they see the ACC writing on the wall as much as anybody else. We need to invest and win now if we’re going to survive, and Key/Batt/Cabrera all seem aligned with that goal.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Given Key’s new helicopter and that we’re in the mix for lots of 4* recruits, I’d say our football NIL is competitive too. GT admin is not naive, they see the ACC writing on the wall as much as anybody else. We need to invest and win now if we’re going to survive, and Key/Batt/Cabrera all seem aligned with that goal.
Eric Singleton is driving a new Corvette around campus, so I think we’re doing ok in the NIL department

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Eric Singleton is driving a new Corvette around campus, so I think we’re doing ok in the NIL department
Believe it or not he turned down 1,000,000+ from 4 different schools.
We are doing enough to keep our guys here but not as much as the others that are trying to lure guys. Just need to keep winning and the NIL wars and conference realignment won’t be as scary as we see it now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are doing enough to keep our guys here but not as much as the others that are trying to lure guys. Just need to keep winning and the NIL wars and conference realignment won’t be as scary as we see it now.
This post speaks to the dilemma (imo) of managing the GTAA. I think the fans of the superpowers don't bat an eye about one of theirs making $1MM. But if I knew we had a player on the roster making $1MM it would be the end of my support for GT FB (or BB or whatever). I have to believe (perhaps falsely) that a large % of fans in my age group feel likewise. This demographic (I believe) is where most of the $upport of the program originates. But you need Jimmy's and Joe's if you want to play at the highest level. But adjusting your pay scale to the likes of Texas, OU, OSU, Uga, etc. dries up funding from the old guard (potentially). How will the GTAA handle this predicament??

I think one possible solution is to find (somehow) a "super" donor or 2 or 3 to provide the lion's share of the funding. Think the Nike guy at Oregon or the Pickens guy at Okie State to offset the loss of a bunch of smaller (although not insignificant) donors. Any other ideas?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This post speaks to the dilemma (imo) of managing the GTAA. I think the fans of the superpowers don't bat an eye about one of theirs making $1MM. But if I knew we had a player on the roster making $1MM it would be the end of my support for GT FB (or BB or whatever). I have to believe (perhaps falsely) that a large % of fans in my age group feel likewise. This demographic (I believe) is where most of the $upport of the program originates. But you need Jimmy's and Joe's if you want to play at the highest level. But adjusting your pay scale to the likes of Texas, OU, OSU, Uga, etc. dries up funding from the old guard (potentially). How will the GTAA handle this predicament??

I think one possible solution is to find (somehow) a "super" donor or 2 or 3 to provide the lion's share of the funding. Think the Nike guy at Oregon or the Pickens guy at Okie State to offset the loss of a bunch of smaller (although not insignificant) donors. Any other ideas?
I'm trying to reconcile your lack of support for the program if a player makes big bucks, but apparently have no issues with coaches making multiples of that (and getting contracts that potentially pay them millions not to coach)? Strict amateurism in D1 football is dead now, if it ever truly existed.
I'm one of the older alums and see the current pay-for-play situation with some trepidation, but also view it as market forces at work. I'm not a mega-donor, but I give to the Tech Way since I think that is a necessary price of admission to big-boy football.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

Then I’d have to say truthfully Your support might be coming to an end, depending on if you count someone making 1 million annually or total in their playing career here.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Then I’d have to say truthfully Your support might be coming to an end, depending on if you count someone making 1 million annually or total in their playing career here.
I have to say that your are most probably correct if I were being honest as well. However I have no issues with those who continue to support the team and program under the new landscape. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm trying to reconcile your lack of support for the program if a player makes big bucks, but apparently have no issues with coaches making multiples of that (and getting contracts that potentially pay them millions not to coach)?
You have made a logical inference I suppose but just bc I did not mention the salaries of coaches in my post doesn't mean what you have inferred.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
You have made a logical inference I suppose but just bc I did not mention the salaries of coaches in my post doesn't mean what you have inferred.
That's fair. I generally try to avoid making unsupported inferences, but didn't think that one through fully.

Regardless, I'd be sad to witness the loss of your support at a time when it's most critical.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
oh I def believe it I was worried we'd lose him this past offseason.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is what is really burning me up about this NIL stuff- schools bribing players to come play for them when they haven’t even entered the portal. If the NCAA could just do one thing right on NiL without the fear of being sued it should be to set some sting operation’s and bust Lane Kiffin and his ilk for this bullcrap.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pressure?? Try going to college during the Vietnam War and if you fell behind in hours, then you got drafted. These kids can take as long as they want and the number of hours to graduate has been reduced. That was pressure.

You could always win the Draft Lottery. :rolleyes:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

First off, I'm so there with you. I hate the commercialization of college football in all its forms and varieties. I would go along with abandoning the P5 to get away from it. I don't want players to get millions and I sure as Hell don't want coaches to get the outrageous salaries they get today either. This whole business divorces college sports from the purposes of higher education and I really, REALLY don't like it.

Ok, it felt great to get that off my chest. Unfortunately, college football as a sports phenom could care less about my views on the subject (distressing how often that happens). If Tech wants to survive as a major college football/basketball/baseball program - and I sure do hope it can - then these matters must be faced. I feel (sorta; they're being paid for this) for the coaches when recruiting becomes a full time job for the whole year. I sympathize with the players who have seen their sport become a source of money instead of personal enjoyment. But … them's the breaks and Tech, like very other school, has to get above the waves to survive.

I bought my season tickets and my parking passes. I just got a new car so no big bucks for Tech this year. But I'm going to try to get more support their way going forward.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
First off, I'm so there with you. I hate the commercialization of college football in all its forms and varieties. I would go along with abandoning the P5 to get away from it. I don't want players to get millions and I sure as Hell don't want coaches to get the outrageous salaries they get today either. This whole business divorces college sports from the purposes of higher education and I really, REALLY don't like it.

Ok, it felt great to get that off my chest. Unfortunately, college football as a sports phenom could care less about my views on the subject (distressing how often that happens). If Tech wants to survive as a major college football/basketball/baseball program - and I sure do hope it can - then these matters must be faced. I feel (sorta; they're being paid for this) for the coaches when recruiting becomes a full time job for the whole year. I sympathize with the players who have seen their sport become a source of money instead of personal enjoyment. But … them's the breaks and Tech, like very other school, has to get above the waves to survive.

I bought my season tickets and my parking passes. I just got a new car so no big bucks for Tech this year. But I'm going to try to get more support their way going forward.We have a Lake Oconee Yellow Jacket group . Simit shah will be here Wednes to go over GT’s

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The "business" of college football is so distorted from where it has been that it's hard to get comprehension for me.Paying guys like they are pros while in school is so DIFFERENT.So then playing teams of guys who are REALLY pros is ludicrous if you don't do it also.I think that is where the split will come so the top 40? will compete and the rest won't.. Which side will we be on? Doesn't look good right now.