Nil-NCAA.com link

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
A lot of us forget that GA Tech just began to expand about 25 or so years ago. About the time the Olympic village became Tech dorms. We are still likely much smaller than our state U neighbors in the 50+ year old alumni range.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A very big question I have is how accurate is the data? NIL collectives are not not-for-profit organizations. I have not seen the financial information publicly available. I definitely have not seen a reporting mechanism to get all of the data. I have read journalists who say that the "reported" numbers that some players are getting paid is far over what they actually get. That the players, the companies involved, and the schools/collectives thru leaks inflate the numbers. That the players often times don't understand the numbers and are shocked when they don't get what they thought they would.

This website says that it uses NIL numbers are from an NIL "technology" company. Having large numbers looks good for them. Do they have actual information from organizations like The Tech Way? If so, is The Tech Way agreeable to share that information with the public? If not, where do they get their numbers from?

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Vt = 2xGt
Do Vt engineers make double Gt engineers?
I posted a whole back about my decision to contribute to The Tech Way, of course to help our programs, but also out of a sense of fairness to athletes who work non stop at sports+school and can’t do things like I did (co-op, internships) to have some money.

My post got responses like somebody remembering a high profile GT football player back in the 70s selling movie tickets or something to make money - as if recollections from ancient times were still relevant in today’s sports world. I’ve learned to never be surprised with some of our alums.

On a more positive note, anybody else going to this, before Syracuse game?
Tech Way Members!
Join the stars of the Georgia Tech Football Team Saturday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex for an exclusive event for member of The Tech Way!

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
A very big question I have is how accurate is the data? NIL collectives are not not-for-profit organizations. I have not seen the financial information publicly available. I definitely have not seen a reporting mechanism to get all of the data. I have read journalists who say that the "reported" numbers that some players are getting paid is far over what they actually get. That the players, the companies involved, and the schools/collectives thru leaks inflate the numbers. That the players often times don't understand the numbers and are shocked when they don't get what they thought they would.

This website says that it uses NIL numbers are from an NIL "technology" company. Having large numbers looks good for them. Do they have actual information from organizations like The Tech Way? If so, is The Tech Way agreeable to share that information with the public? If not, where do they get their numbers from?
100% agree with this take. Reading their methodology they'll admit these are assumptions. I give them credit for attempting this exercise, but I read their findings with a large grain of salt.

I now have more questions.
  1. Who is Opendorse? Is this a competitor to SANIL? I don't know, but curious on comments about this group.
  2. How are they getting information? Quote from report under the chart this group used in exercise:
    - "*Student-athletes in the corresponding subsections are projected to earn the cumulative amount indicated, based on anonymized transactions facilitated or disclosed through Opendorse between July 1, 2021, and June 5, 2023."
    - So these transactions are from which schools, and how many players? Lot of assumptions were made in this report.
  3. They list the NFLPA/Minn Vikings/Many Colleges as partners. How exactly are they partners? Vandy & Wake Forest, for example, are listed but they also uses SANIL. That's the same group we use for The Tech Way.
Different rabbit hole from point 3 above. I looked at SANIL back when the Tech Way started, and there are a lot less schools using them now. I 100% remember Alabama and Penn State, but there were more schools using them when I looked a while ago. When I went to fact check Bama and Penn State's collective info on On3's NIL page it appears they've built their own collective without the help of SANIL. The only other power 4 collectives I saw using SANIL now are Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Wake, Vandy, & Rutgers. That opens up a lot of other questions on SANIL's value, but I'm not going to pretend like I know the answer. Just making an observation.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They have double the alumni we have. It is a large state university.
Thats way better.

They have 2×number and give 2 times as much.

But since Gt engineers make more than Vt engineers, doesn't that mean they are more generous than Gt engineers.

Our solution is in creatively giving away what we may someday have to mobilize every alumni, side walk fan researchers, hill profs, employees, contractors, neighbors. Got to make it fun and visible.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
100% agree with this take. Reading their methodology they'll admit these are assumptions. I give them credit for attempting this exercise, but I read their findings with a large grain of salt.
From their methodology:
Unlike public Universities, virtually all NIL Collectives are privately controlled and have no obligation to publicly report information such as their annual fundraising or how funds are spent. Additionally, most NIL collectives are very protective of their funding.
Information not public. Organizations are "very protective" of the information. Sounds like an impossible task to actually tabulate accurate information.

Like you, I will give them credit for making an attempt. However, nobody should put any credibility to any of the information that they present. Not putting their credibility down, but they admit themselves that the real data is almost impossible to acquire.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Thats way better.

They have 2×number and give 2 times as much.

But since Gt engineers make more than Vt engineers, doesn't that mean they are more generous than Gt engineers.

Our solution is in creatively giving away what we may someday have to mobilize every alumni, side walk fan researchers, hill profs, employees, contractors, neighbors. Got to make it fun and visible.
They have more alumni and more sidewalk fans than we do. They probably give less per alumni, but who knows. The school's endowment is less than half of ours.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Appreciate the share. They are basing their by-school (and conference) numbers on assumptions based on existing contributor base. So if a school has $60M in contributions and another has $30M, the first school would have twice as much allocated to them.

The assumption is probably the best way to do it, but it would not catch situations where a single large donor or group of large donors make an "all-in" commitment to the NIL. So, these numbers are basically reinforced by the existing contribution profiles of all colleges. Here is the methodology page.

EDIT: I see that others have replied in a similar way. sorry for the repeat.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They have more alumni and more sidewalk fans than we do. They probably give less per alumni, but who knows. The school's endowment is less than half of ours.
The Gt Alumni Assoc has a list of Alumni.
Do they share thier info with Gtaa?
About 4 years ago the previous gtaa admin ast told me its not shared.

Anyway, shouldn't the Gtaa have access to ....?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
From their methodology:

Information not public. Organizations are "very protective" of the information. Sounds like an impossible task to actually tabulate accurate information.

Like you, I will give them credit for making an attempt. However, nobody should put any credibility to any of the information that they present. Not putting their credibility down, but they admit themselves that the real data is almost impossible to acquire.
Just to pile on here, they present 9-figure amounts down to the dollar. That provides a false impression of accuracy, despite them using multi-layered assumptions to arrive at their numbers. I got sucked in a little bit until I read their assumptions. Their data may have at best a vague resemblance to reality.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of us forget that GA Tech just began to expand about 25 or so years ago. About the time the Olympic village became Tech dorms. We are still likely much smaller than our state U neighbors in the 50+ year old alumni range.
Not quite 25 years ago - I was part of the first group of tech students to live in Olympic housing. It was the 07-08 school year, my second year.

17 years vs 25 may not feel significant, but you made me feel old for a second :)

And your point still stands. We're still a small undergrad population, even today.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
We suck at this
I'd be we're as consistent as anyone else when you normalize for fanbase size (if there were a way to do that). Basically, the average Tech fan is probably donating as much as the average CFB fan, but there are just so many more fans of other teams that they make more money.