Nil-NCAA.com link

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
……
On a more positive note, anybody else going to thisw, before Syracuse game?
Tech Way Members!
Join the stars of the Georgia Tech Football Team Saturday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex for an exclusive event for member of The Tech Way!
I’ve tried to sign up for it several times but after filling out the information it takes me to a page telling me to create a Typeform. When I click on the link, it takes me to a website that just looks like an advertisement for whatever Typeform is. I have not gotten any confirmation that I successfully signed up for the event.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'd be we're as consistent as anyone else when you normalize for fanbase size (if there were a way to do that). Basically, the average Tech fan is probably donating as much as the average CFB fan, but there are just so many more fans of other teams that they make more money.
We are basically last in the ACC in NIL yet our undergrad student body size is middle of the pack and total enrollment is at the top of the ACC.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We are basically last in the ACC in NIL yet our undergrad student body size is middle of the pack and total enrollment is at the top of the ACC.
I think half of our enrollment is online MIS degree students who never go to campus.

Also, it has been established that the NIL figures are bogus. Someone made up some numbers based on some heuristics. They have no basis in reality.

Last edited:

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody knows how much NIL dollars are out there, because (1) collectives do t report anything, and (2) private schools don’t report anything publicly.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you're including all the online grad programs in CS as total enrollment, then you have no concept of what our real enrollment truly is. An online CS grad student from Dubai, Mumbai, Wuxi Jiangsu, or Nairobi will have nothing to do with our athletics program.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If you're including all the online grad programs in CS as total enrollment, then you have no concept of what our real enrollment truly is. An online CS grad student from Dubai, Mumbai, Wuxi Jiangsu, or Nairobi will have nothing to do with our athletics program.
You got me with Wuxi. Had to look it up

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Nobody knows how much NIL dollars are out there, because (1) collectives do t report anything, and (2) private schools don’t report anything publicly.
I read that UNC has a $5M NIL fund raiser being endorsed and promoted by Mac. Not sure how much the athletic programs can be involved according to NCAA but they seem to be toothless anyway.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I posted a whole back about my decision to contribute to The Tech Way, of course to help our programs, but also out of a sense of fairness to athletes who work non stop at sports+school and can’t do things like I did (co-op, internships) to have some money.

My post got responses like somebody remembering a high profile GT football player back in the 70s selling movie tickets or something to make money - as if recollections from ancient times were still relevant in today’s sports world. I’ve learned to never be surprised with some of our alums.

On a more positive note, anybody else going to this, before Syracuse game?
Tech Way Members!
Join the stars of the Georgia Tech Football Team Saturday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex for an exclusive event for member of The Tech Way!
Unlike you, the athletes don't pay for housing, food, tuition, books, academic support, or medical services, and plenty of them do internships. Btw, our alumni that you are never surprised at, value tradition and believe in the value of history. You may well do so too one day, as you get older and wiser :>). I agree though that the athletes work hard year round to earn their keep.
Congrats on your contributions and I believe more should do so.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Unlike you, the athletes don't pay for housing, food, tuition, books, academic support, or medical services, and plenty of them do internships. Btw, our alumni that you are never surprised at, value tradition and believe in the value of history. You may well do so too one day, as you get older and wiser :>). I agree though that the athletes work hard year round to earn their keep.
Congrats on your contributions and I believe more should do so.
I was at GT in the 70s, graduated summa in EE, my kid is there now - the school is a lot different and college sports could be any more different. Many if not most alums who graduated more than 25 years ago wouldn’t get in now. I love the tradition but my point was old alums arguing against nil based on how it was back in the good ole’ days at GT 50 years ago is the fast track to non P5 sports, and maybe that’s what we’ll get.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was at GT in the 70s, graduated summa in EE, my kid is there now - the school is a lot different and college sports could be any more different. Many if not most alums who graduated more than 25 years ago wouldn’t get in now. I love the tradition but my point was old alums arguing against nil based on how it was back in the good ole’ days at GT 50 years ago is the fast track to non P5 sports, and maybe that’s what we’ll get.
Pres Cabrera told me harder to get in Tech now but easier to get out. Retention is metric for ranking. They could have cared less when I graduated in 73 (also an EE).

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
NIL is not tradition, it's simply gimme gimme gimme because coaches and networks make a lot of money. Tradition is staying at a school more than a season, going to class with regular students, playing for pride, and getting/earning a free education (which should mean something to a mere 98% of players). Btw, comparing students at Tech 25 years ago is a lot like comparing athletes then and now....fraught with inaccuracies. Cabrera was right to say such to g0lftime. If it's easier to get out now than then, what does that say about the students who got in back in the day....Riiight.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
I have a work friend who is a big rams club supporter. He attended that fundraiser with Mack hosting and Eric Church as a guest. It definitely was a NIL fundraiser. Doesn’t seem to comply with any rules, but I guess nobody cares.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have a work friend who is a big rams club supporter. He attended that fundraiser with Mack hosting and Eric Church as a guest. It definitely was a NIL fundraiser. Doesn’t seem to comply with any rules, but I guess nobody cares.
Goal is $5M. So far Collins has not been very visible in the program. Waiting for him to appear.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Pres Cabrera told me harder to get in Tech now but easier to get out. Retention is metric for ranking. They could have cared less when I graduated in 73 (also an EE).
I retired early and finished my career as a FT prof at GT…definitely treat students better now and try to retain. But the kids are still under a ton of pressure. Remember that curve busting nerd, the one you could count on to make 90 on a test with a class average of 50? Whole room full of that talent now.
We’ve transitioned from a mostly undergrad school when we were there. I remember sitting in Stelson’s office circa 1989 and he had every PhD dissertation on his board room table, reviewing them all. McLaughlin would need a warehouse now.
Constant change, huge changes in athletics, nil, now Ivy League players unionizing. Life goes on, can’t live in the past.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I retired early and finished my career as a FT prof at GT…definitely treat students better now and try to retain. But the kids are still under a ton of pressure. Remember that curve busting nerd, the one you could count on to make 90 on a test with a class average of 50? Whole room full of that talent now.
We’ve transitioned from a mostly undergrad school when we were there. I remember sitting in Stelson’s office circa 1989 and he had every PhD dissertation on his board room table, reviewing them all. McLaughlin would need a warehouse now.
Constant change, huge changes in athletics, nil, now Ivy League players unionizing. Life goes on, can’t live in the past.
Pressure?? Try going to college during the Vietnam War and if you fell behind in hours, then you got drafted. These kids can take as long as they want and the number of hours to graduate has been reduced. That was pressure.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pressure?? Try going to college during the Vietnam War and if you fell behind in hours, then you got drafted. These kids can take as long as they want and the number of hours to graduate has been reduced. That was pressure.
Incentive more than pressure! :unsure:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually bigrabbit, life may not go on, IF we don't learn from the past. "Learning" is realizing the past was sometimes better than the present. CFB > cFB, bottled Coca-Cola in 50s/60s > canned Coke today, flunking kids in the past > PC passing em on today, fathers who stay home > than mothers alone today, imprisonment > catch and release today, crossing the aisle in politics > than straight line Party votes today, fist fights in the past > thugs with guns today, etc. etc. etc.