NFL Triple Option

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Whoever thinks this is an affirmation of cpj is dead wrong. If anything it’s the opposite. If he ever ran the chiefs and eagles plays shown (only 2 I looked at) he would still be here. That is what the fan base has been asking about and screaming for for years. Too stubborn!

For all the hype Saban gets, no one really focuses on how much he adapts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Whoever thinks this is an affirmation of cpj is dead wrong. If anything it’s the opposite. If he ever ran the chiefs and eagles plays shown (only 2 I looked at) he would still be here. That is what the fan base has been asking about and screaming for for years. Too stubborn!

For all the hype Saban gets, no one really focuses on how much he adapts.

Long time member (2013) but seldom poster (44) speaks. Will the gang that is "set apart" for cjc s memory. (with way over 20,000 posts ) attack him for his heresy.?

Coach gave us many great memories while playing a smash mouthed option offense. That was then and cgc is now.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
This looks more like the rpo every one runs and we are going to run.

Ol = NOT IN 3 point stance
QB = NOT under center.

Not really an RPO. There is no pass option. In a true RPO the QBs isn’t really running. It’s either a handoff or a quick throw, with the option read being on a linebacker or safety

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not really an RPO. There is no pass option. In a true RPO the QBs isn’t really running. It’s either a handoff or a quick throw, with the option read being on a linebacker or safety

If the defense had been differently , would they run the this play option that featured the run?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

The original RPO was also ran from the I and was more of a presnap read. (Favre did this alot) basically it was do we run the stretch or do i throw a backside slant, and it was based on line backer and corner alignment.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
If the defense had been differently , would they run the this play option that featured the run?

In this play it is a run either way, there is no pass. QB runs are a last resort for the rpo, you really don’t want your qb running, which is why you don’t need a mobile qb to make it successful. A lot of our fans seem think the rpo has the qb attacking the edge and then throwing downfield; that’s rarely the case. Auburn has done that a times, and Arizona tried to, but it’s a rare wrinkle than I doubt we see much here.

For the most part the rpo you see is either a handoff, or very quick slant to the side with vacated numbers. The eagles run it a ton in the NFL, folds was great at it.

Here’s a good video:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In this play it is a run either way, there is no pass. QB runs are a last resort for the rpo, you really don’t want your qb running, which is why you don’t need a mobile qb to make it successful. A lot of our fans seem think the rpo has the qb attacking the edge and then throwing downfield; that’s rarely the case. Auburn has done that a times, and Arizona tried to, but it’s a rare wrinkle than I doubt we see much here.

For the most part the rpo you see is either a handoff, or very quick slant to the side with vacated numbers. The eagles run it a ton in the NFL, folds was great at it.

Here’s a good video:

Until i talk to my hs coaching son, I will accept your statement that its a run all the way - regardless of defensive alignment or player group.

When asked about why he uses rpo, he ssys they have easy check downs for qb to read the lb. Also he says he cant get hs ol kids to learn the details of the blocking tree for TO.

He also says one of the check down pass plays is what u described. Because he always has a weak link in blocking, its a quick pass to slot if space by lb or to wr if cb is giving ground.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It’s the same false equivalency that we will now run the same offense as everyone else now.
Well, we'll see about that. Personally, I'd like to see us run an O like UVA or Kansas State. That would increase use of our QB running the ball. Something they can all do very well indeed.

But will we end up adapting our O to our talent? Or will we end up running the O Coach ran at Temple? Oh, the suspense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, we'll see about that. Personally, I'd like to see us run an O like UVA or Kansas State. That would increase use of our QB running the ball. Something they can all do very well indeed.

But will we end up adapting our O to our talent? Or will we end up running the O Coach ran at Temple? Oh, the suspense.
I think we will have packages for the qb s that are ATL which are more run heavy.

Graham's is a great athlete.
Also TO is excelling at the summer workouts. These 2 will be on field even if lj has the 1 st spot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Here’s a good video:

Great vid, thanks for posting!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we will have packages for the qb s that are ATL which are more run heavy.

Graham's is a great athlete.
Also TO is excelling at the summer workouts. These 2 will be on field even if lj has the 1 st spot.
Where do you suppose those guys will see the field when not playing qb? Just curious where you see them fitting in. I know it's hard to predict when we don't have a real clue what our O will look like.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where do you suppose those guys will see the field when not playing qb? Just curious where you see them fitting in. I know it's hard to predict when we don't have a real clue what our O will look like.
Per the coach, they will play qb.
They will be practicing a series of plays and will sub in to run them.

Qb LJ will get great majority of plays., but we are going to build depth.

If cgc is innovative has graham or TO run plays that look like the old scheme, will the cpj saints call it blasphemy? I would love to see TO run the sweep like he did in usf.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Per the coach, they will play qb.
They will be practicing a series of plays and will sub in to run them.

Qb LJ will get great majority of plays., but we are going to build depth.

If cgc is innovative has graham or TO run plays that look like the old scheme, will the cpj saints call it blasphemy? I would love to see TO run the sweep like he did in usf.

Highlight doubt we run any COJ TO; Collins is set on changing the optics of the program by changing everything about the program to fit a vision he can sell.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Highlight doubt we run any COJ TO; Collins is set on changing the optics of the program by changing everything about the program to fit a vision he can sell.
I think he us definitely set on changing the " optics" of our passive defense that has been embarrassing.

Last few years we have run a lot of called plays on offense. The T Oliver end run and pitch option to bb is a standard play in rpo. We still have linemen and wr that can block in space.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Believe CGC has said we will adjust our O to our talent.

That does not mean running the TO. Our guys can do more than that.