NFL Triple Option

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Believe CGC has said we will adjust our O to our talent.

That does not mean running the TO. Our guys can do more than that.
1. Coaches always say that. Coach said it up at Temple. Then - remember what the Owl fans said - he turned around and ran the O he liked. Which - spoiler alert! - is what they usually do. What I'm hoping for is to be pleasantly surprised.

2. Never said that it did. Still, I'd run option plays in every game, just to keep the other side on their toes. Since we'll be running a shotgun spread, it'll be mostly double options, of course, but a few triples would be a good idea.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
1. Coaches always say that. Coach said it up at Temple. Then - remember what the Owl fans said - he turned around and ran the O he liked. Which - spoiler alert! - is what they usually do. What I'm hoping for is to be pleasantly surprised.

2. Never said that it did. Still, I'd run option plays in every game, just to keep the other side on their toes. Since we'll be running a shotgun spread, it'll be mostly double options, of course, but a few triples would be a good idea.

I'd like to see us run some of the Oregon slot triples with cottrell or brown in the slot. The Fritzkrieg offense at southern and the new offense at southern uses them often and they are great constraint plays. The play action off of these sets up a nice deep post to the reciever who has been blocking and you have a built in dump man over in the original pitch target. (you can even actually read the dive and turn it into an rpo.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Of course Owl fans don't know much about football. They set offensive records under CGC and Coach P and they still think they know better than the staff did. From what i saw of them their QBs sucked and their running attack was all they had going for them. Hopefully we have a better passing attack.

RespectAPA

Georgia Tech Fan
This looks more like the rpo every one runs and we are going to run.

This is not RPO, this is just shotgun triple option with the pitch guy out to the sideline. In a legal RPO, the pass has to come out quickly because your OL is run blocking, and would be ineligible receivers downfield if the throw doesn't occur immediately after the read. This is why several of those plays aren't RPO triple option, because 95% of the time if your third option is a forward pass to a receiver, your run-blocking OL will be far enough down field that it will be an illegal pass.

And yet it would appear that they don't get called, which is pretty much why I hate the RPO: it's an offense designed around the fact that the refs will never enforce the rules as they're written. The Chiefs had a guy 5 yards downfield on their play. The Eagles had a guy 4 yards downfield on their play. You're only allowed 1 yard downfield in the NFL. The Ole Miss play was probably illegal too but I can't blame them because it looks borderline with the liberal college rules. [3 yards]

Maybe with better education in an RPO world, the refs will start calling these violations better. I don't mind teams being able to pass the ball with run blocking, but whatever passes they throw need to come out quickly, and if the QB pulls the ball back in and then decides to throw it later, the refs should be trained to look for where the lineman were.

tl;dr all the plays shown are either illegal RPO [the ball is held too long and the blockers are downfield], or a variant on the shotgun triple option with the pitch man out close to the sideline.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Of course Owl fans don't know much about football. They set offensive records under CGC and Coach P and they still think they know better than the staff did. From what i saw of them their QBs sucked and their running attack was all they had going for them. Hopefully we have a better passing attack.
You have missed my point. I didn't say that the Owls didn't run a decent O under Coach. What I said is that he told them he'd run an offense that used the talents of the players he inherited then he didn't do it. This is SOP for new coaches, of course; talks cheap.

Again, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised and have us run an O where we use our QB candidates's running ability. I want Patenaude to be sitting on the sidelines thinking, "What would Bill Synder do in this situation? Hmmmmm …"

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You have missed my point. I didn't say that the Owls didn't run a decent O under Coach. What I said is that he told them he'd run an offense that used the talents of the players he inherited then he didn't do it. This is SOP for new coaches, of course; talks cheap.

Again, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised and have us run an O where we use our QB candidates's running ability. I want Patenaude to be sitting on the sidelines thinking, "What would Bill Synder do in this situation? Hmmmmm …"
My point though is why you think he didn’t run an offense suited to his players?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My point though is why you think he didn’t run an offense suited to his players?
Because the people who were familiar with the personnel he inherited said he didn't. They are a good deal more familiar with who the Owls had on hand then we are.

As I said, I'm not surprised. New coaches always say they are going to adapt to the players they have. Then they don't. I'm hoping Coach is serious about this.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Because the people who were familiar with the personnel he inherited said he didn't. They are a good deal more familiar with who the Owls had on hand then we are.

As I said, I'm not surprised. New coaches always say they are going to adapt to the players they have. Then they don't. I'm hoping Coach is serious about this.
I’d imagine the coaching staff knows what offense is best suited for his players; moreso than a bunch of fans.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d imagine the coaching staff knows what offense is best suited for his players; moreso than a bunch of fans.
Plus why would a coach/OC create an offense that fit his preferences rather than his personnel? He wouldn't be a coach/OC very long if he did.