NFL prospects on this Team

I would think Mr.Mason could easily move to center. He's a really low center gravity guy that happens to have power. Waller could be a TE but he needs to at least put on 20-30 lbs. Smelter is the easiest of anyone. We all know what a good WR looks like. Days will get a chance but he needs to showcase some blocking skills that doesn't require "cutting someone".

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You can't win without 4 or 5 star high school athletes. Oh, wait, never mind. :rolleyes:

You can win without 4/5 * guys but based on a rather limited sample size, having just 1 4 or 5 star athlete in this system and inserting him at the QB position will boost your wins from approx. 7 per year to roughly 11. So, I'd like to recruit at least 1 per recruiting cycle going forward!;)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Waller is a good blocker, i think WR's coming from us most likely have a good reputation for that and it's a valuable skill to have in the NFL

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I was looking at a mock draft and they had Golden going 4th round to the Bears

This year or next? I'd think dj white projects as more nfl ready. Having him and golden come back next year is important. With "just" the loss of Johnson our secondary will be on of the best in the acc next year.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
If I had to guess from an NFL prospective....

Early Rounds - None

Mid rounds: Isaiah Johnson

Late Rounds: Darren Waller, Deandre Smelter

UDFA: Synjin Days, Shaq Mason, Quayshawn Neely, Zach Laskey

Comments - I don't think Mason gets drafted on the sole basis of pass protection stigma and because a fair number of OT's get drafted then moved inside if necessary. I think without the combine, Deandre is either 7th round or UDFA just based on not being on all-conference lists, having eye-popping stats ect. Could see ZL as a fullback/core special teams player (think Kevin Cone) based on size and the quality of his hands (does not fumble). Could see Days as a 3rd down back/special teams. I think Neely will be an interesting one because of all the takeaways he produced, but seeming like he disappeared for portions of games. I have some concern with Waller being compared to Stephen Hill and that hurting his draft stock.

None of this is meant to disparage our players and how well they played for us. I just think this is how it will shake out from the NFL scouts and teams.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
This year or next? I'd think dj white projects as more nfl ready. Having him and golden come back next year is important. With "just" the loss of Johnson our secondary will be on of the best in the acc next year.
And can we just plug AJ Gray into Johnson's spot? Is he ready to start as a freshman? Secondary could be amazing next year.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
And can we just plug AJ Gray into Johnson's spot? Is he ready to start as a freshman? Secondary could be amazing next year.

Well he passes the eye test. I'm unreasonably excited about aj gray. I should temper my expectations.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Waller is going to wind up the best pro out of all the guys, imo. He's already 6-5, 24olbs and plays WR in our offense.. So he's a proficient and willing blocker and he's got enough speed to run with CB's deep. Which means there are probably not 5 lbs in the NFL fast enough to run with him. He's going to have to do some work on his short space quickness and change of direction but that's true for all big men with long strides. He will get drafted as a new age Tight end and put on another 1-=15 lbs and be a monster!!. He is finally growing into his body and has had great.. not good.. but great hands this year. He hasn't dropped a pass all year and has consistently gotten not just one, but two feet down on his sideline routes.. Not to mention the catch he made against Georgia Southern right before the half, when it looked like the ball was over his head and he elevated and those arms just kept going until he plucked the ball out of the air. If he went to a system like NO's, the Pats or the Eagles that know how to coach offense and use of the TE.. He will make at least one pro bowl..

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
It was this year, I was surprised when I saw it

CamBam

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Shaq is our most nationally acclaimed player, and definitely deserves a mid round pick and the opportunity to develop in an offense. Days and Waller don't receive enough attention, but will surely be late rounders that will find time in the NFL. I think most overlook Laskeys potential as a power back in an NFL system, as he has played solid b-back as a power rusher here.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I really think Waller will open some scouts' eyes at the NFL Combine. His size isn't changing and I think he will run a faster 40 than most think. Really stinks Smelter won't be able to show off his talent there.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Is there a chance Smelter could get invited to the combine and participate in a couple things? He should be able to do the bench and interview with scouts.

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Smelter will be drafted in Round 3-4 if he heals properly. I remember that at this stage in 2009/10 people were saying that Demaryius Thomas would be a 5th rounder (and Dwyer a 1st rounder). If you have talent the NFL scouts will almost always find you!