NFL prospects on this Team

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
On the ticker last night I saw that only Waller and Johnson were listed as NFL prospects on our team.
To me, I feel like we've got a few more mid to late rounders on the squad. Just wanted everyone's take on it.

Early rounds: none
Mid rounds: Smelter- would be higher if could attend combine, Shaq Mason

Late rounds: Isaiah Johnson, Neely. Waller.

UDFA: Synjin the Engine,

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good question. The only guy I would say is an obvious pick, without the injury, would have been Smelter. No brainer. With the injury, I am not sure, maybe late round. Somebody will take a chance on Mason later on, I would guess. There are quite a few OLs that fit the NFL metric better than he does. Somebody mentioned the center position for him at the next level. That makes him a project. Beyond that I would guess UDFA for everybody else.

I don't mean to insult our kids but NFL talent isn't neccessarily what we are about. We have GOOD COLLEGE PLAYERS who are unselfish. Waller, Nealy, Johnson, and possibly Days will all get looks and a chance to go to a camp.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't mean to insult our kids but NFL talent isn't neccessarily what we are about. We have GOOD COLLEGE PLAYERS who are unselfish. Waller, Nealy, Johnson, and possibly Days will all get looks and a chance to go to a camp.

you can make a nice living these days by recruiting guys like Joe Hamilton, Shawn Jones,Ted Roof, Robert Lavette, Joe Anaoi, Sean Bedford, Paul Davis, etc. You don't need NFL caliber players to be successful at this level. Doesn't hurt to have the Calvin Johnson or Eddie Lee Ivery types but iirc not many of the guys on the '90 team made a living in the league.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
On the ticker last night I saw that only Waller and Johnson were listed as NFL prospects on our team.
To me, I feel like we've got a few more mid to late rounders on the squad. Just wanted everyone's take on it.

Early rounds: none
Mid rounds: Smelter- would be higher if could attend combine, Shaq Mason

Late rounds: Isaiah Johnson, Neely. Waller.

UDFA: Synjin the Engine,
To be sure, teams will take a flyer on most if not all of these guys BUT the cold fact is that none of them with the possible exception of Smelter is the "NFL prototype" for their position. I know it is ridiculous but that the way it is. Someone will throw the book out the window and take a chance on Shaq and get a fine offensive lineman. Johnson, Neely and Waller have some work to do. Just my opinion.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
this was posted on another thread (I am not sure how to link to it?):

takethepoints said:
Yes, I think Waller is a no-brainer for the pros. He's enormous, for one thing. Calvin enormous. He's fast; I can think of two people that size in the pros now who run like he does: Calvin and Bey-Bey. He has decent hands, as good as Smelter's. He won't go high, but someone will take him just to get his physique.

Agree with this 110%. Look at the teams that have drafted athletic, large basketball players with little to no football experience for the TE position. Out here Julius Thomas (not to be confused with BeyBey) has turned into an all pro in 2-3 years. He was drafted in a late round. He had very little football experience coming into the league. But his size, his hands, his speed, his athleticism crafted by a good coach has made him dangerous on the field (when he is healthy at least). Waller has all of these things, plus great football experience and a will to block (!), to bring to a team. I do see a team using a mid to late round draft pick on Waller with the idea they will try to develop a Julius Thomas like player out of him. Thanks Darren for all that you have done for the Jackets. It was fun watching you come into your own.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let's see Waller's 40 time after he's had a couple of months to train. He's not as fast as Hill, but I don't think he's slow. I could easily see Waller as a pass-receiving tight end in the pros, similar to Winslow Jr.