NFL Draft results

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. Now we can get down to it. By the numbers:

1. You know this isn't true. I suspect that a majority of the recruits who consider Tech hope they will get into the league. Some may be right. I'm also sure that a lot of parents hope their sons will get into the league. But student athletes and, especially, their parents know very well what the chances are. That's why the coaches always push the education Tech offers.

2. I never said it was. There's a difference between telling parents that you will see that their sons get educated and keeping them on track (easy to do these days since the NCAA requires it) and an emphasis on winning football games. Our last few coaches - including Coach - have done both.

3. Tech's admission standards have been lowered for athletes for some time. If the academic standards had been lowered, why have the extensive tutoring system we now have? I know a number of Tech faculty and, while some wish all the athletes would concentrate more on their school work like some do, they most certainly don't lower their standards for them. Anecdotal evidence, but it's all dueling anecdotes here.

4. By who? If you mean the athletes, you may be right. Students come to schools for all kinds of crazy and irrelevant reasons. For the parents - who are always a main focus of recruiting - the education Tech offers is a major consideration. Why do you think Coach Key said, "… I have a better product to offer" when comparing us to the SEC schools? It wasn't the football program he was talking about.

1. Talk to the best football player and damn near any HS in America. Even when we haven’t recruited wel that’s still who we were getting. They think they are going to the league. They rarely compete against anyone better than them so it’s not a huge stretch to believe that. Their parents may care about education or may not.

2. I’m sure our coaching staff will push both. There are more than enough good football players that can make it through school with the hand-holding that you can get great football players.

3. I’ll leave this one to the former players to disprove as they have done multiple times on this very board.

4. Only 35% of Americans have bachelor degrees. To many that don’t there is no difference between a Georgia Tech, a UGA, and a Georgia State. I get the feeling you don’t spend a lot of time with the socioeconomic class that many of the parents of football recruits inhabit.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You speak as with authority on the subject. Yet, as we have discussed in previous thread a while back, you never competed as a SA at GT.

Go ask any 4 or 5 star athlete what their goal is after college. I will bet you almost anything that more than 99% will tell you to get to the NFL. These are the players we want at GT. This doesn’t mean we don’t want kids to take their education seriously, but it is by far number 2 at best on their list of desires when picking a school.

Now when we were pulling kids away from Wofford and the like, you might be right. They may have chosen us for academics. I would still argue that they chose us to play at an ACC school over our academic prestige.

We went back and forth on this a while back and I don’t really want to do it again, but I will say now what I said then. It’s not nearly as hard to “get out” of GT as an athlete as you like to insinuate that it is. It’s actually pretty easy if you put forth any effort. Which is why Collins says the “elite are excellent in everything they do” or STTE. Most of the top athletes know what it means to work hard. This will bode well when here. Athletes have first access to picking classes and know which professors are “player friendly” among many if the other benefits listed previously. I know this frustrates you and some others because you feel like it lessens your degree somehow, but it’s the truth.

I am glad our players have these advantages. Christ alone knows, they need every one of them in competing with players from some schools that are professional in everything except name including being paid for their "services".

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
77025050-05c9-40ec-8d95-653721823263-AP_Falcons_Rookie_Camp_Football.jpg

Taquon at mini camp this past Friday.
https://pro32.ap.org/post-gazette/article/lindstrom-mcgary-bring-instant-chemistry-falcons-line
Tech quarterback TaQuon Marshall is with the team on a tryout at wide receiver. "You like his makeup," Quinn said. "When you have a sense that you're going for it and you have something to prove, you get the best stuff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Lol, thanks professor.
Actually, "Here endeth the lesson" is what people say after they've read from the Epistles in a church service (in some churches, at least). I assumed that everybody would see that I was up in the pulpit and knew it. It's what I say when I know people will disagree with me.

Apparently not.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am tired of losing to UGA and Clemson. I am damn tired of losing to Duke and UNC. TC is right. We want football players who want to be elite. We want football players who can do the school work and understand the value of a Tech degree. But we want football players who also understand that football here is serious business especially when it comes to UGA. Coaches Choice and Coleman definitely get that whole "What's the Good Word?" deal.
I agree with all of this except:

2000 - 2018 Georgia Tech 14 wins UNC 5 wins. I'm not sure where your angst about Carolina is coming from.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of this except:

2000 - 2018 Georgia Tech 14 wins UNC 5 wins. I'm not sure where your angst about Carolina is coming from.
Nothing scientific about it more of a personal preference like there are some on this board who really cannot stand Miami and others that dislike Virginia Tech. I just hate em in the irrational sort of way that Florida fans divide their hate along generational lines: The older alumni especially just despise UGA the younger ones hate FSU. IIWII

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Nothing scientific about it more of a personal preference like there are some on this board who really cannot stand Miami and others that dislike Virginia Tech. I just hate em in the irrational sort of way that Florida fans divide their hate along generational lines: The older alumni especially just despise UGA the younger ones hate FSU. IIWII
Ah. The way I hate Duke. Understood.