Next year's expectations - wants/needs

Jmonty71

Banned
So, this year was, this year. It wasn't pretty. What are everyone's overall expectations, for next year?

Also (2 part question). What are the wants/needs, the team needs, next year, to be competitive?

I'll start.

I think overall, we SHOULD be better. However; due to a pretty brutal schedule, I foresee 4-5 wins.

As for wants/needs? I want Graham to work on his footwork and pass progressions. We need a better O line. I want P'nut to get more inventive in play calling. We need better overall team performance.

Let's discuss.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So, this year was, this year. It wasn't pretty. What are everyone's overall expectations, for next year?

Also (2 part question). What are the wants/needs, the team needs, next year, to be competitive?

I'll start.

I think overall, we SHOULD be better. However; due to a pretty brutal schedule, I foresee 4-5 wins.

As for wants/needs? I want Graham to work on his footwork and pass progressions. We need a better O line. I want P'nut to get more inventive in play calling. We need better overall team performance.

Let's discuss.[/]

1. As grown folks let’s quit the childish mocking of the OC. That’d be a solid start.

Jmonty71

Banned
I wasn't mocking. I was just merely stating a fact. I would like to see some new/inventive plays. As a grown adult, asking for such isn't mocking or being childish.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't mocking. I was just merely stating a fact. I would like to see some new/inventive plays. As a grown adult, asking for such isn't mocking or being childish.

i think calling him Pnut qualifies hoss. Thats what he was referring too. Not mocking more childish name calling likely is what he meant

needs. 4-5 OL to develop beyond the 2 we have that did ok

needs. A center.

needs, wr outside brown to show up more

needs. A lb. a true lb.

Needs graham or whoever to continue to raise the bar at qb

needs edge rusher

needs. A kicker

wants a 2nd reliable cb to balance swilling

wants harvin to lose 30 pounds not gain another 30

wants a better punt returner

wants more dt depth. Actually that position didn’t perform awful. A few young guys. We need depth but you could say needs here too. Just trying to put something under wants lol

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
This year is a foundation year. "Getting all creative with the playcalling" would be a retarded step backward from continuing to build the foundation that will take us to the top.

Graham needs to focus on his footwork, not trick plays and a huge playbook. We are who we are: a young developing team. We need to work on doing the fundamentals good and we can worry about getting creative later.

I would rather go from 3-8 to 11-0-1 than sneak out 5-7 with trick plays then go 8-4 because our fundamentals were lacking and we didnt develop and creative playcalling alone cant close the gap with our top opponents.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect that we’ll be better defensively.

Offensively, Patenaude better settle on a scheme real quick and drill the team on it all spring and fall. I’m still amazed that we were so bad offensively last year. Through the first 11 games of the season, the offense punted or turned the ball over on 75% of its possessions (the remaining 25% were TD’s and a handful of FG and ‘end of half’). I refuse to believe that we were that bad due to the transition from the 3O or because the players were “recruited to play the 3O”. My expectation for next year is that Patenaude makes the adjustments necessary to make the offense functional.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
To get everyone on this forum to join up (FREE & NO EXTRA MONEY ADDED TO YOUR ORDER!!!!!) on Amazon to help the GTAA.

This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification. Your charity, Georgia Tech Athletic Association, recently received a quarterly donation of $128.88 thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com.

To date, AmazonSmile has donated a total of:
  • $1,418.07 to Georgia Tech Athletic Association
  • $156,109,909.51 to all charities
Thank you for supporting Georgia Tech Athletic Association by shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can track your impact throughout the year at your My Impact page.

AmazonSmile is also available in the Amazon Shopping App on Android. See how to activate here.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
To get everyone on this forum to join up (FREE & NO EXTRA MONEY ADDED TO YOUR ORDER!!!!!) on Amazon to help the GTAA.

This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification. Your charity, Georgia Tech Athletic Association, recently received a quarterly donation of $128.88 thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.com.

To date, AmazonSmile has donated a total of:
  • $1,418.07 to Georgia Tech Athletic Association
  • $156,109,909.51 to all charities
Thank you for supporting Georgia Tech Athletic Association by shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can track your impact throughout the year at your My Impact page.

AmazonSmile is also available in the Amazon Shopping App on Android. See how to activate here.

this is great and had no idea about it

Mod's can you sticky this signup??? we could impact this alot if 200 people signed up.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
needs. A center.

Clarifying question: iiuc Kenny Cooper was able to redshirt and plans to return. Are you assuming he'll be gone? Or feel that he's not up to par? Or not expecting him to play center next year?

Also interested to see how William Lay continues to develop. I thought he did ok, pressed into service. I don't think it's impossible for him to be a late bloomer that develops into a solid center.

Definitely agree we need a lot more depth on the line. Personally, I was thinking center was our least concern on the Oline, if Cooper comes back; more a want than a need. Just curious on your thinking.

Jmonty71

Banned
i think calling him Pnut qualifies hoss. Thats what he was referring too. Not mocking more childish name calling likely is what he meant

needs. 4-5 OL to develop beyond the 2 we have that did ok

needs. A center.

needs, wr outside brown to show up more

needs. A lb. a true lb.

Needs graham or whoever to continue to raise the bar at qb

needs edge rusher

needs. A kicker

wants a 2nd reliable cb to balance swilling

wants harvin to lose 30 pounds not gain another 30

wants a better punt returner

wants more dt depth. Actually that position didn’t perform awful. A few young guys. We need depth but you could say needs here too. Just trying to put something under wants lol
I think overall size on the LOS is a must. Not going to happen overnight. But, as we increase, the win totally should go up. Luckily, we are in not the greatest division in college football. Heck, I just want to beat Duke. Doesn't seem like a tough ask.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My expectation is to see progress and growth.

I expect us to beat Gardner-Webb. I want us to be competitive in all our Coastal games, UCF and 'Cuse. Go at least .500 in those games. Show up against ND and ga. Not be in the bottom half of Clemson's victims by margin of victory. Some solid conference wins and a bowl would satisfy me. I'd put our line at +/- 5.5 wins.

We'll hit the over if:
A P5 above replacement level QB emerges - I believe Graham can be a top 5 QB in the ACC if he reaches his potential. In his best games, he was that good. If Yates or a Tr Fr beats him out, also great.
Our O-line stays healthy.
We have a 1,000 yard rusher. (Or carries are split too widely and our top RBs combine for 1,200+)
An impact LB emerges
We can pressure* the QB against average competition rushing 4. (* by which I mean, giving them a non-indefinite time to throw.)
We can confidently kick ordinary field goals

We'll fall to the under if:
We lose 2 or more players from either line to injury for the season
The Coastal isn't the worst division in P5 again
We have a glaring unforeseen weakness

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Expectations:

- We solidify a QB in fall camp and have a defined offensive presence going into the season.
- We establish Mason and Griffin as a 1-2 punch that makes our running game hard to deal with.
- We utterly destroy Gardner Webb. They are a 3-9 FCS program whose coach resigned in shame. If that game is even remotely competitive then there is a problem.
- We are competitive in every game except UGA and Clemson. We look like we belong out there.
- The defense improves with more time in the new system and hopefully a little less time on the field.
- We win at least 5 games. Less than that is a disappointment.

With the injured guys coming back, transfers coming in, and the great recruiting class, I don't think that is unreasonable even with a tougher schedule. Personally, I think if we really want to start building momentum for the future then we probably need to make a bowl game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I expect somewhere between 4-6 wins. Below 4 will be underachieving, more than 6 will be overachieving. I think there’s a possibility 10 out of 12 games are competitive, and there’s at least some possibility of winning going into the half. Notre Dame is notorious for playing to the level of their opponent, and in what should be a great atmosphere in the Benz, maybe have an outside shot at an upset.

Needs:
  • OLine performance and depth is a need that’s been harped on for months now.
  • Establishing a consistent pass rush
  • Figure out who the QB of the future is. It’s either Graham for 3 more, or it’s Yates/Gleason/Sims for 4. Establish who the guy is and roll with him.
  • Completing a high percentage of short to intermediate passes
  • Keeping the chains moving, so that even if the offense isn’t scoring it can at least flip the field consistently
  • Making field goals from inside 40 yards
Wants
  • Beat Duke
  • Have a better kick/punt return game
  • Create more turnovers
  • Provide enough “juice” to get fans excited again. Playing this schedule will let everyone know where GT football stands when it comes to competing nationally. Play within 2-3 scores of Clemp and UGAg, and 1-2 with ND, and that 3-9 team that lost to the Citadel suddenly becomes one to watch out for

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Expectations:

- We solidify a QB in fall camp and have a defined offensive presence going into the season.
- We establish Mason and Griffin as a 1-2 punch that makes our running game hard to deal with.
- We utterly destroy Gardner Webb. They are a 3-9 FCS program whose coach resigned in shame. If that game is even remotely competitive then there is a problem.
- We are competitive in every game except UGA and Clemson. We look like we belong out there.
- The defense improves with more time in the new system and hopefully a little less time on the field.
- We win at least 5 games. Less than that is a disappointment.

With the injured guys coming back, transfers coming in, and the great recruiting class, I don't think that is unreasonable even with a tougher schedule. Personally, I think if we really want to start building momentum for the future then we probably need to make a bowl game.
I sense a lot of upcoming whining from you about how GT is not meeting your expectations. Is there an ignore button on here? I dont want to subject myself to constant negativity.

For one, with two true freshmen in the mix, its very possible we will be thinking long term and not short term and experimenting with quarterbacks again.

For two, the oline is still very much a work in progress and to expect us to just run down peoples throats is ridiculous. UGA couldnt do that to decent teams with a veteran 4-5 star OLine and Hershell Walker the 8th (if I am counting correctly). They couldnt because if you cant keep the D honest with a passing game most any team can stop you. To have a passing game we still need to focus disproportionately on pass protection (at the expense of run practice). And we need the QBs to make major progress (again requiring a disproportionate amount of practice time at the expense of run practice). It'll pay off in 2021 of course, but I guess I need to prepare now for a year of whining about how we arent meeting expectations because we arent just running it down people's throats.