Next up: Ga Southern

Fast balls were consistently in the low 90's. Pitching was good tonight. Defense was bad and base running was comical. The inning GSU only scored 1 run when they had us on the ropes was the game changer. Third base and center field had bad nights in the field. I believe all the runs GSU scored were unearned.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, with a little help from their error in 9, we got it done. Hopefully, we don't make Baltimore County that interesting.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
THE GOOD:

It is GREAT to start off 4-0. Nice way to build confidence moving forward and momentum.

LOVE the way these guys never give up. They didn't have the best talent last year but fought hard always. This game they were down to two strikes in the ninth, no one on, got a break with an error, then struck again with two strikes when Gonzo (player of the game imho) doubled deep to CF to tie the game. Way to keep fighting Joltin' Jackets!

The pitching is AWESOME! Look ay how many guys pitched and pitched well. In fact, I thought everyone (outside of Pitts) pitched extremely well last night. Five of the eight pitchers used were freshmen and all looked impressive to me. Gorst and Parr out of the 'pen were great also. Just cannot say how impressed I am with the early season pitching. Only 3 walks in 16 innings. Think about that for a second.

Two dingers, a key double to tie the game in the 9th. Jolting' Jackets indeed!

Welcome back to the lineup, Brandon Gold...game winning HR! You-hoo!

THE BAD & THE UGLY

Well, glad we won that game! I agree that the runs should have bene unearned, but home team scoring made 3 of their 5 earned. I certainly thought their first run was unearned, when Carport let a routine grounder go through his legs, then bowled the throw at third which would have been an out had he not bobbled it. They got one run that inning thanks to a monster throw from Gonzo to get a runner at home. Then I though the play in CF on their "triple" was a joke...let that one fall in front of you for a single and they never score that inning. I would have scored that single and a two base error. Overall, in my book at most 1 of the runs was earned. The defense, outside of Gonzo's monster throw, was.....needing improvement.

1 SB abd 3 CS. Seriously guys? Really?

Where was Zack Ryan? Now, I gotta believe something's wrong with him.....

OVERALL:

i thought we played poor fundamental baseball too often, but we still had the talent, especially on the mound, to eke out a win. But a Top Ten team doesn't make the defensive gaffes, and wins this game 3-1 in regulation. We have a ways to go to be a very good team, especially on defense.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hate people who second guess coaches, but here goes. We need to shake up the third base and outfield. Craport should be the DH. Gonzo or Gold should play third. Can Innis play CF . Work the Hell out of our guys on base running. Work with Kel on live pitching to get him more selective on his hitting, maybe use Pitts to show him what pitches not to swing at. Get all of our batters some live BP against lefties. It is crazy that our right hand batters can't hit left hand pitchers.
Our guys could not hit even though a weak GSU team used nine pitchers. All of those pitchers can't be outstanding. Ihope this is not s sign that the same offense that tanked late last year is the same this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hitting doesn't really worry me as much as the defense and base running did.

I am not yet sold that Kel is the monster hitter everyone thought he was early last season. The rest of the team will be OK on offense, but I doubt we'll be outstanding...which is why the base running blunders bother me.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
At this point, I think it is apparent that something is wrong with Ryan. Does anyone have any idea what? I believe he was dressed out last week end? Just our luck to have a pre-season All American closer unable to pitch.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point, I think it is apparent that something is wrong with Ryan. Does anyone have any idea what? I believe he was dressed out last week end? Just our luck to have a pre-season All American closer unable to pitch.
I believe there was some off the field issues arise in the last couple of weeks. Think he's expected back soon.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Comparing his last year to being "a little rough" at 0-6 with 6.90 ERA and the same number of walks as strikes is kind. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=cole-pitts

I was definitely being generous. Mostly because I feel like we may have rushed him back. The time table for Tommy John these days is over a year and we had him throwing game intensity innings after 9-10 months. I think he'll get one more mid-week start to show last year isn't what he is. But he may never get back to where he was. Everyone thinks of Tommy John as routine these days but more guys fail to bounce back then most realize.