Next UP - Clemson, Tuesday, February 23

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we have a super high SOS and our RPI and power rankings are very high considering our record. IMO ETSU is bad, but alot of bubble teams have one of those types of games. We also beat ND, UVA, VCU and a few p5 out of conf victories.

If we take care of business IMO we deserve a NCAA bid; especially considering the committee takes into account peaking teams at the end of the year, a strong SOS and strong RPI and power rankings. Does that mean we have to beat Louisville....probably. Either in the regular season or game 2 of the ACC tourney....So...I think we need to get to 20 wins....if we have 19 and played well....its too distant IMO

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Arkansas is trying their hardest to make that look like a good win for us. Beat LSU last night to put their record at 14-14. They should be better. Great backcourt trio and Kingsley is a MAN. Hopefully they finish strong.

I thought early the Duquesne win would look better but they are currently 9th in the A10.

We have some work left to do but we have to make sure we don't do something stupid like lose to BC. For whatever reason that game is always terribly ugly. They don't have Hanlan but they do have Florida Transfer Eli Carter who can really score the ball. They also just took a serious shot to the guts and the pride by getting rolled by Wake who was without Devin Thomas and Cornelius Hudson. They are also 0-Season in conference. They don't want to end the season like that, you can bet your behind.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
If we get to 20 wins we will be firmly on the bubble - as others have noted, the losses to ETSU and VT at home really hurt. But getting to 20 means wins vs. ND, UVA, VCU, and @FSU, and either @UL or our second round game in the ACCT (vs. UM, UNC, Duke, UVA). Those are really quality wins, and with our strength of schedule should be enough to get us in the discussion (20 wins, # of quality wins, SOS, top 50 RPI, etc.)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Posted this already the NIT thread...

Looking ahead to the ACC tournament, we'll go in hoping for at least 1 win, but preferably 2 before an inevitable exit. So which seed gives Georgia Tech (or any bubble-level team) the best shot at 2 tourney wins?

Well now that Louisville is out, the seeds to root for are #5 and #11.
•The #5 gets the winner of the 12vs13 play-in game, then a winnable matchup vs #4.
•The #11 gets an easy play-in followed by a beatable #6 opponent.

All other obtainable seeds set up a guaranteed loss in their 2nd game (or anything worse than 11 is too low to matter). Normally the #10 provides the best shot (play-in followed by #7) but Louisville's ban has cut that leg off the bracket.

•So to climb to #5 we need to win-out while hoping Notre Dame, Pitt, Clemson, & Syracuse lose all their games.
•GT is currently sitting at that sweet #11 spot, but in order to hold that seed while winning down the stretch, we'll need wins from FSU, VT, and one from Syracuse, and that still might not be enough to avoid #10 depending on a FSU tiebreaker.

be5ca650e49a1bd7f0380453a5ef5161.jpg

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
We have ACC basketball again! These games usually produce nothing but dread and despair. Now I really believe we can win. I know GT giveth and taketh away, but I'm enjoying it for now

One thing I will say is no matter how you feel about CBG, if he gets credits for the losses, he gets credits for the wins too. I don't care if his gameplan is give MGH the ball and see who can stop him. I'm torn on whether I want this to save his job, but I can't hope for selfish losses here. I hope this team beats some @$$ before all is said and done
Haha to bad he couldnt come up with that game plan 3 months earlier.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
We have ACC basketball again! These games usually produce nothing but dread and despair. Now I really believe we can win. I know GT giveth and taketh away, but I'm enjoying it for now

One thing I will say is no matter how you feel about CBG, if he gets credits for the losses, he gets credits for the wins too. I don't care if his gameplan is give MGH the ball and see who can stop him. I'm torn on whether I want this to save his job, but I can't hope for selfish losses here. I hope this team beats some @$$ before all is said and done

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Had CBG stuck with MGH at PG after the UVA game, we would be in the tournament for sure IMO. He kept going back to Heath and Jorgy who are not ACC caliber PGs. MGH is a threat to shoot and put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. This is where coaching should have recognized his talent and played to the right scheme. I hope we can still get in the tournament with a strong run here at the end.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
if we were to win out. not saying we will. how many acc teams could say they had a 6-7 game conference winning streak? our sos is very good. we seem to be peaking at the right time.

time after time after time i have seen a team with a decent record overlooked for a team that has a winning streak going on by the committee. didnt uga get invited to the dance one year with a losing conference record?

one game at a time. if we win out i like our chances. besides a match up against dayton would be so typically ncaa. heh.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Posted this already the NIT thread...

Looking ahead to the ACC tournament, we'll go in hoping for at least 1 win, but preferably 2 before an inevitable exit. So which seed gives Georgia Tech (or any bubble-level team) the best shot at 2 tourney wins?

Well now that Louisville is out, the seeds to root for are #5 and #11.
•The #5 gets the winner of the 12vs13 play-in game, then a winnable matchup vs #4.
•The #11 gets an easy play-in followed by a beatable #6 opponent.

All other obtainable seeds set up a guaranteed loss in their 2nd game (or anything worse than 11 is too low to matter). Normally the #10 provides the best shot (play-in followed by #7) but Louisville's ban has cut that leg off the bracket.

•So to climb to #5 we need to win-out while hoping Notre Dame, Pitt, Clemson, & Syracuse lose all their games.
•GT is currently sitting at that sweet #11 spot, but in order to hold that seed while winning down the stretch, we'll need wins from FSU, VT, and one from Syracuse, and that still might not be enough to avoid #10 depending on a FSU tiebreaker.

be5ca650e49a1bd7f0380453a5ef5161.jpg
#11 would be far better just to have an extra game to play to improved win total.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last 3 games... Rotation choices improving. Bench decreasing, wins increasing. It's causation, not just correlation.

Surprise for me is Q... First time he's played 30+ min was the last three games. He's shooting 41% overall / 39% from 3... that's solid. But the real surprise is 7 rebounds and a block in all 3 games. He's starting to maximize his potential.

Agreed.. the crazy thing about it, Q missed at least 3 or 4 wide open, beautiful looks. He knocks those down and his numbers look even better. MGH and Adam are our constants, and we can usually count on our big rotation to produce. The biggest reason for our recent good play is find a third option on the perimeter.

That has allowed MGH and Adam to find room to operate. Between Q and Tadric, we have gotten some really good play from that role. Tadric not so much offensively, but he is playing within the offense and making good passes, and last night, he played some excellent defense. Get past BC on Saturday, and we have a hellva lot to play for against Louisville.

If we were to pull that one out, I don't think that the basketball odds would give us an L on MGH's Senior Day with a potential trip to tournament on the line!! LOL

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Had CBG stuck with MGH at PG after the UVA game, we would be in the tournament for sure IMO. He kept going back to Heath and Jorgy who are not ACC caliber PGs. MGH is a threat to shoot and put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. This is where coaching should have recognized his talent and played to the right scheme. I hope we can still get in the tournament with a strong run here at the end.

Had more to do with our guys not stepping up. Moving MGH made it more difficult for him to find his points. When guys like Q and Tadric and even Adam hit a rough spell, having MGH play PG, made it more difficult for us to score. Thus, BG was essentially hoping that Travis or Josh might spark the team. Also known as throwing it against the wall hoping something sticks.

Now that our other guys are stepping up (and MGH is playing out of his mind), we are winning these games and this line-up looks great.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Again, talking Pink Unicorn status here, but if we were to somehow win out and we landed in one of the play-in games.. That could help us generate a lot of good press.

We would have to be one of the hottest teams in the country in order for that to occur, and those play-in games have all of the fans hungry for March Madness watching them.

A man can still dream can't he?