Next....UCF

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think ESPN’s forecast has been updated yet, but it favors UCF more than it favored FSU:

UCF comes into the season as a playoff contender, if such a thing happens. If the Big10 stays out, their chances are even better.

Here’s the AAC preview with UCF. Josh Heupel is coaching there for his 3rd season. Last I checked, 10 players opted out because of COVID. Last year had their best SP+ analytics rating, and their AAC competition looks weaker this year, especially with Navy appearing to be down this year. McKenzie Milton, who I remember as Heisman-competing before his gruesome leg injury, should be back. They have a pass rush, but hopefully not as good as FSU’s.

The game will be on ABC. It’s at 3:30 PM.

They’re missing one of their best cornerbacks. They’ve been using the off week for more prep, and have noticed that conditioning and tackling have been problems for other teams. They feel “loaded” at QB.

Adding in Bill Connelly’s Twitter preview from August 5:

They’ve been really good the last 5-10 years:

They’ll get behind you and BURN you:

They’re good on defense:

They’d be favored over almost all of their home and away schedule, and should still be favored over us, even at home. Hey, looks like UNC dropped a top-25 from their easiest in the ACC schedule this season—funny how that happens:

Blake Bortles was their QB, and I completely forgot that. Also, trending up even after losing a coach to Nebraska:

Oh, yeah, this:

As for their school environment, they’re
  1. In Orlando
  2. Hot and humid and covered with Spanish moss
  3. A big commuter school (like 40k students but no on campus life to speak of)
And there’s more.
Athlon has them as the pre-season #22. Last year, their freshman QB threw for 3600 yards, 29 TDs, and just 7 interceptions. They have three really solid backs (sounds kinda familiar to me—guess we do, too). One of them (Otis Anderson—there’s a name for a back) is a speedster that lines up in the slot occasionally. They are loaded at receiver, even after their best receiver is sitting out to go pro.

Their line had 3/5ths of their OL starters back, plus a transfer from Tennessee. Their DL is young but deep. Their kicker went 15-17 on field goals (oh, that sounds soooo nice).

To me, the sound like the team FSU should have been. They’ve got more talent at QB, and their line should be better that FSU’s. They’ll have tons of team speed. We barely got that win over USF last year, and UCF would beat them like a rag doll.

On offense, they were the second-most prolific offense in college last year, behind LSU (thanks CFN preview!). They were 5th overall in scoring, but racked up 541 yards per game 😳. Their QB is 6’ and 185 pounds, but quick enough to run for 4 TDs last season. That ain’t a muscle bound kid, but he knows how to QB. Probably fits in the “sneaky athletic” “coach on the field” euphemisms. Their leading receiver averages 17 yards per catch. Their #3 receiver averages 24 yards per catch. Yikes.

Their OL is apparently better for run blocking than pass blocking.

Their offense is going to look like Louisville or App State—it’s a triple option with lots of passing. It’s not a flexbone, but it’s kind of like a hybrid of that and the RPO that’s all the rage these days. I didn’t see them last year, but they will run a triple option with a single back and a slot back pulling. They will run a lot. Anderson is possibly their best player, and a dual threat as a runner and receiver—so much so that they put him out at slot to run routes.

On defense, their secondary is their strength. Their defensive backfield is all NFL-hopeful types, and generally all-conference for the AAC. Their DL is fast. Their best DT tips the scales at 285, but can apparently move. They have an edge rusher who is fast and wreaks havoc. Our OL will need to prep even more this week than last.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

UCF has only played a full season once in the last 3 years. I won’t believe they have the guts to play us until I see them step on the field Saturday.

slugboy

Staff member
I had to split into another post because of media limits.

Here’s some highlights from their frog-stomping of Stanford last year:

They use the tight end effectively, and they’ve got speed on offense, defense, and special teams.

The UCF v USF highlights are a little more balanced. You can see the single back lined up as a wingback/halfback to the side of the QB. You can also see the weaknesses in the pocket. You can also see how USF got their coach Charlie Strong fired last year.

Here’s the 2019 UCF against Cincinnati:

In the other games, you can see UCF creating havoc in turnovers. The tables are turned here, and you see Cincinnati doing the same thing. It was one of UCF’s losses last year.

I think turnovers are the pillar of AAC defense.

Finally, another common opponent: Pitt—
(ACCN):

That’s probably the best set of highlights. Gabriel has a GUN for an arm, and Anderson is fast and dangerous with the ball.
Pitt beat them in the last minute with a little trickery and tough defense. That’s probably the same kind of game that we need to aim for.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
UCF has a few significant advantages over the current situation at FSU. Based on what I know, their culture is not toxic - at FSU, the new coaching staff is still trying to overcome the culture of "me first" that was allowed to develop before Jimbo left. UCF does play with a chip on their shoulder due to being overlooked at times, since they are not P5. Every time they compete with a P5 opponent, they want to win like it is a national championship game. And, they recruit well in their talent heavy state, and they have playmakers all over the place.

I believe we will have to play a game with much fewer penalties and hopefully no turnovers to beat them - they are well coached.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
UCF is better than FSU. They have not played yet so that may be to our advantage. With little or no home field advantage, this one will be a hard fought game. We will have to improve our play to win this game. We will probably be a 7 to 10 point underdog. We can win this one but again our defense will have to be stellar.

Go Jackets!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don’t think ESPN’s forecast has been updated yet, but it favors UCF more than it favored FSU:

UCF comes into the season as a playoff contender, if such a thing happens. If the Big10 stays out, their chances are even better.

Here’s the AAC preview with UCF. Josh Heupel is coaching there for his 3rd season. Last I checked, 10 players opted out because of COVID. Last year had their best SP+ analytics rating, and their AAC competition looks weaker this year, especially with Navy appearing to be down this year. McKenzie Milton, who I remember as Heisman-competing before his gruesome leg injury, should be back. They have a pass rush, but hopefully not as good as FSU’s.

They’re missing one of their best cornerbacks. They’ve been using the off week for more prep, and have noticed that conditioning and tackling have been problems for other teams. They feel “loaded” at QB.

They’re good on defense:

They’d be favored over almost all of their home and away schedule, and should still be favored over us, even at home. Hey, looks like UNC dropped a top-25 from their easiest in the ACC schedule this season—funny how that happens:

Blake Bortles was their QB, and I completely forgot that. Also, trending up even after losing a coach to Nebraska:

Oh, yeah, this:

1. In Orlando
And there’s more.
Athlon has them as the pre-season #22. Last year, their freshman QB threw for 3600 yards, 29 TDs, and just 7 interceptions. They have three really solid backs (sounds kinda familiar to me—guess we do, too). One of them (Otis Anderson—there’s a name for a back) is a speedster that lines up in the slot occasionally. They are loaded at receiver, even after their best receiver is sitting out to go pro.

Their line had 3/5ths of their OL starters back, plus a transfer from Tennessee. Their DL is young but deep. Their kicker went 15-17 on field goals (oh, that sounds soooo nice).

To me, the sound like the team FSU should have been. They’ve got more talent at QB, and their line should be better that FSU’s. They’ll have tons of team speed. We barely got that win over USF last year, and UCF would beat them like a rag doll.

On offense, they were the second-most prolific offense in college last year, behind LSU (thanks CFN preview!). They were 5th overall in scoring, but racked up 541 yards per game 😳. Their QB is 6’ and 185 pounds, but quick enough to run for 4 TDs last season. That ain’t a muscle bound kid, but he knows how to QB. Probably fits in the “sneaky athletic” “coach on the field” euphemisms. Their leading receiver averages 17 yards per catch. Their #3 receiver averages 24 yards per catch. Yikes.

Their offense is going to look like Louisville or App State—it’s a triple option with lots of passing. It’s not a flexbone, but it’s kind of like a hybrid of that and the RPO that’s all the rage these days. I didn’t see them last year, but they will run a triple option with a single back and a slot back pulling. They will run a lot. Anderson is possibly their best player, and a dual threat as a runner and receiver—so much so that they put him out at slot to run routes.

On defense, their secondary is their strength. Their defensive backfield is all NFL-hopeful types, and generally all-conference for the AAC. Their DL is fast. Their best DT tips the scales at 285, but can apparently move. They have an edge rusher who is fast and wreaks havoc. Our OL will need to prep even more this week than last.

Sounds like they should be ranked No.1 in the country.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This will be a shoot out. Their DL doesn’t scare me at all like FSU’s. What we need to worry about is they have a way way wayyy better QB. Their WR core looks like most across the country. What decides this game will be our DL, If continue to get pressure like last night we can really put them in a tough spot. Their RB room also isn’t very intimidating. This isn’t the undefeated UCF team. They are still better then 75% of the ACC I would say though. I’m expecting a 38-35 type of game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

They’re good on defense:

Oh, yeah, this:

1. In Orlando
And there’s more.

A great program that does a lot with a little. Their recruiting rankings for the past five years are eye popping. They are actually worse than ours. Somebody in Orlando knows what they are doing because UCF is absolutely getting all they can get out of what they have. Very impressive team. We will need to be ready to play a team that is far better than FSU. Perhaps not nearly as talented, if you put stock in recruiting rankings, but well coached, and balanced in running and passing. This will be a big challenge for our team. I am pretty sure UCF will be favored.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Their first game was postponed so this their opener. we have small edge in preparedness due to that.

True. It is a coaching truism (not sure if it is really accurate) that most teams improve the most during a season in the time from game one to game two. We will see if that holds true. Kicking extra points would be a good start. We had over 400 yards total offense against FSU but only 16 points to show for all that running around. We have to be more efficient against UCF. I think we can win but we have to run block better to give Mason, and company some holes. We cannot beat this team just throwing the ball.