CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Talent composite rankings
> making me think that taking the points is a smart bet
15 FSU
30 GT
61 UCF
Due to injuries, age (frosh) and other factors, only 7 or so of our top 20 played against FSU and are likely to play vs UCF.

Clayton and Gibbs are our top 2.

slugboy

Staff member
So was FSU :)
OK, first—Ha!

Second, F$U was supposed to be a ton better, and I think they’re just a lot better. Their offensive line was much better than last year. When all 5 of their starters were in, they got a lot more yardage and were much better in pass protection. They just have a steep drop off after the first 5. (We felt that last year, but think our depth is much better now compared to last year, and I’m glad to see William Lay is over 300’ now and ATL).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Are you expecting Gibbs to still be a no-go then? Because if he is a "go", that would at least get us to 8.
Don't know. I'm waiting to find out Saturday like most. Just pointing out that our top 2 didn't play vs. FSU, and most of our composite top 20 is unlikely to make a meaningful contribution.

Good news is I'll be covering Saturday's game, so I'll be able to see warm-ups and who is truly in pads, before the TV broadcast. Will post observations in Swarm Chat.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Don't know. I'm waiting to find out Saturday like most. Just pointing out that our top 2 didn't play vs. FSU, and most of our composite top 20 is unlikely to make a meaningful contribution.

Good news is I'll be covering Saturday's game, so I'll be able to see warm-ups and who is truly in pads, before the TV broadcast. Will post observations in Swarm Chat.
Appreciate the insight

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Thanks for that advance. I'll be sure to watch chat. I don't know what to expect from either team tomorrow. So just enjoy and leave the room before any ST play.:mad: We'd be better to fair catch the ball inside the 10-15 on KOs!!!!!! And only kick FGs if we can sneak Buttkicker back. :p Two point conversions look good if we get the running game going.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that advance. I'll be sure to watch chat. I don't know what to expect from either team tomorrow. So just enjoy and leave the room before any ST play.:mad: We'd be better to fair catch the ball inside the 10-15 on KOs!!!!!! And only kick FGs if we can sneak Buttkicker back. :p Two point conversions look good if we get the running game going.
Based on what I saw, 2 of the blocked kicks were line break-downs, not the kicker. I'm pretty sure that will be fixed. One kick might have been low. So, of 5 kicks, 1 bad one from a True Freshman kicker. Not great, but I can live with that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our kickoff coverage only looked bad on 1 kick that I saw.
2nd half kickoff = touchback
10-7 = return to 34 (missed tackle at about
13-13 = return to ??
16 - 13 = return to 18

Don't know about the 3rd kick-off as it was part of the shortened game. I'd take 2 of those 3 kick-off coverages any day, all day. Lefty kicked the first 3, Kelley kicked the last one.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Due to injuries, age (frosh) and other factors, only 7 or so of our top 20 played against FSU and are likely to play vs UCF.

Clayton and Gibbs are our top 2.
What if we take out the 10 guys on UCF who opted out of the season?
Two starters on defense, and 3 OL

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
OK, first—Ha!

Second, F$U was supposed to be a ton better, and I think they’re just a lot better. Their offensive line was much better than last year. When all 5 of their starters were in, they got a lot more yardage and were much better in pass protection. They just have a steep drop off after the first 5. (We felt that last year, but think our depth is much better now compared to last year, and I’m glad to see William Lay is over 300’ now and ATL).
I rewatched the full FSU game this morning while @stech81 was starting drinking :) It's very evident on a rewatch that our defense got a LOT better as they lost OL starters. I didn't notice it in the heat of the moment as much, but it is causing me to rethink how good the defense might be. As we started to get pressure against their second string our DBs got a lot better as well. Now, we are missing key DL starters too, but we won't have them back today so I'm pulling back my optimism a tad and think we'll only win by 3 :)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Am I over-hyping this game in my head, or is this the program’s biggest game since Tennessee in 2017? This is a huge chance to capitalize on the momentum from last week on another national stage, and I can’t remember the last time we’ve had a legitimate opportunity similar to this.
You’re absolutely correct. We’re in a different era where things that happened a year, 2 years ago, etc ago don’t mean as much as the present. The amount of interest in the program will rise substantially with a win. This would be huge for recruiting, coach’s reputation, etc.

slugboy

Staff member
I rewatched the full FSU game this morning while @stech81 was starting drinking :) It's very evident on a rewatch that our defense got a LOT better as they lost OL starters. I didn't notice it in the heat of the moment as much, but it is causing me to rethink how good the defense might be. As we started to get pressure against their second string our DBs got a lot better as well. Now, we are missing key DL starters too, but we won't have them back today so I'm pulling back my optimism a tad and think we'll only win by 3 :)
On FSU’s defensive side, they didn’t get pressure on us (but disrupted the run pretty well)

On FSU’s offensive side, FSU lost nearly HALF their yards per play when any OL starter was out:

If playing through depth issues and injuries is not part of the game, though, then we should retroactively get a much better record for last year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I thought FSU stopped our inside runs pretty well but we started getting to the edge in the second half. There is doubt that the OL is better this year in pass protection. Now let's show it again today.