Next domino in line: Arizona

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Agree with supersize but worry that if the margin is very close, AZ might not fall below us if we "edge" out a FSU team that "should have already lost to a number of so so teams"

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
To my mind, if AZ wins, they're in and the Ducks are out by default. No conference is getting two in. I think we'll jump whoever loses.

Agree with supersize but worry that if the margin is very close, AZ might not fall below us if we "edge" out a FSU team that "should have already lost to a number of so so teams"
You are probably right, but I just don't think a conference champion should be omitted simply because another team didn't lose badly. Also, if we "edge" out FSU, then they may still end up ranked higher than us, and that's not right either. So let's hope Oregon wins big and Tech wins BIG !!!

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
To my mind, if AZ wins, they're in and the Ducks are out by default. No conference is getting two in. I think we'll jump whoever loses.

I think PAC 12 may be the exception if Baylor, OSU, etc were to lose. A 2 loss Oregon team is probably going to go over a 2 loss Georgia Tech team

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The last 2 games we have simply beaten good teams against adversity ( Snoddy, smelter sec refs).

I hope we just play our best game of coaches time with us. Win going away!

If we do fate will be our friend.

Committee needs to have something to erase the duke , unc fiasco.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan

This is a long way from being categorically true. If say, there are 2 spots left and the choices are 11-1 Baylor, 11-1 TCU, and 11-2 Georgia Tech, we're never ever getting in. Baylor and TCU snap up both spots all day.

If there are 2 spots, and it's 11-2 Oregon, 11-2 Arizona, and 11-2 Georgia Tech, Arizona's a lock, and the Georgia Tech/Oregon comparison could go either way with margin of victory in the 2 conference championship games being a factor. Do we really want to count on the committee taking a 2-loss GT over a 2-loss Oregon though when they had a 1-loss Oregon over an undefeated Florida State? I think Oregon probably gets the spot about 75% of the time there. So while we COULD still get in with an Oregon loss tonight, our chances are about 4x better if they win. So with all that said....

LET'S GO DUCKS!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This is a long way from being categorically true. If say, there are 2 spots left and the choices are 11-1 Baylor, 11-1 TCU, and 11-2 Georgia Tech, we're never ever getting in. Baylor and TCU snap up both spots all day.

If there are 2 spots, and it's 11-2 Oregon, 11-2 Arizona, and 11-2 Georgia Tech, Arizona's a lock, and the Georgia Tech/Oregon comparison could go either way with margin of victory in the 2 conference championship games being a factor. Do we really want to count on the committee taking a 2-loss GT over a 2-loss Oregon though when they had a 1-loss Oregon over an undefeated Florida State? I think Oregon probably gets the spot about 75% of the time there. So while we COULD still get in with an Oregon loss tonight, our chances are about 4x better if they win. So with all that said....

LET'S GO DUCKS!
Putting 2 in from the same conference will be the worst possible thing the committee could do. There will be no defense for that. They will be crucified in the media and public perception. No way they'll put 2 in from the same conference this year.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
You're just wrong. Even as a Georgia Tech fan, I would fully admit that we would have no argument whatsoever to be in ahead of an 11-1 TCU or an 11-1 Baylor if they both finished the season with the same record. And the committee's shown that they seem focused on putting the best team in each slot regardless of conference affiliation or the controversy it might cause. You're dreaming if you think all we need is an Ohio State loss to sail into the playoff.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
It is simple.

1. Oregon wins (taking out Arizona)
2. Kansas State wins (taking out Baylor)
3. TCU wins (sole Conference champ)
4. Wisconsin wins (takes out Ohio State)
5. GT beats FSU!

There will be several teams at 2 losses, but Tech and Wisconsin will be the only two conference winners. Tech is already ranked ahead of Wisconsin and Tech is playing a higher ranked team this week, so it seems logical to give Tech an edge just based on that.

Mississippi State, Michigan State, and Kansas State will also have two losses, but will have not have won their conferences and will not have strong enough resume to overcome that.

In addition, if Tech makes 4 seed, and projecting out to potential rankings next week; Tech will have beaten #5, #13, and #17 the last three weeks of the season. Nobody can say that. I don't think anybody can match those 3 wins in a season, much less last 3 weeks of season.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Kansas State would actually still be co-champions with TCU if TCU wins as both would be 8-1 in Big XII play. It was just sloppy writing from a bad journalist that ever gave anyone the impression we want TCU to win. What we need is:

1. Oregon wins (or gets blown out)
2. Kansas State OR Iowa State wins (also, hopefully K-State doesn't blow out Baylor so our sole possession conference title gives us the edge)
3. Alabama wins (or at least keeps it close enough that Mizzou doesn't pass us)
4. Wisconsin wins
5. GT beats FSU! (hopefully by a decent margin to smooth things out in potential close votes vs. Oregon, K-State and/or Missouri)

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You're just wrong. Even as a Georgia Tech fan, I would fully admit that we would have no argument whatsoever to be in ahead of an 11-1 TCU or an 11-1 Baylor if they both finished the season with the same record. And the committee's shown that they seem focused on putting the best team in each slot regardless of conference affiliation or the controversy it might cause. You're dreaming if you think all we need is an Ohio State loss to sail into the playoff.
Helloooo ... Mcflyyyyy... anybody home.... Think Mcfly, think.

Just kidding man, I think about Back to the Future everytime I see your handle.

I'm not saying we'll be selected, though I absolutely think we should, and the argument is here: http://www.littlewhitestatistics.com/the-case-for-georgia-tech-in-the-college-football-playoff/
I AM saying the committee would be off-the-charts looney to put in 2 teams from the same conference ... ESPECIALLY teams that have already played each other. If you're trying to find the best team in America by settling it on the field, why put in two teams who've already settled it on the field, you already know which team is better between them. America would HATE seeing two teams who've already played each other play again. The committee could do it, but they won't. I have a little more faith in the human race than that. I've been naive before.

We'll see.

Milwaukee

Banned
We need Oregon to handle business, Bama to handle business, and TCU to handle business.

The only two "upsets" we need are Sconnie and K-State.

If all that were to happen, I like our chances with the committee choosing between us and KState for the 4th spot. If we win (and all the other chips fall) we'll just be red hot to the committee. Nobody in the country has closed in a more impressive manner than beating Clemson, UGA, and FSU back to back to back.

Momentum is in our favor.

Go Sconnie and Go KState. The top 3 teams just need to handle business.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
We need Oregon to handle business, Bama to handle business, and TCU to handle business.

The only two "upsets" we need are Sconnie and K-State.

If all that were to happen, I like our chances with the committee choosing between us and KState for the 4th spot. If we win (and all the other chips fall) we'll just be red hot to the committee. Nobody in the country has closed in a more impressive manner than beating Clemson, UGA, and FSU back to back to back.

Momentum is in our favor.

Go Sconnie and Go KState. The top 3 teams just need to handle business.

Wisconsin winning wouldn't even be an upset. They're a 4 point favorite thanks to the Barrett injury. We actually only need one upset to get in (other than our own game of course).