Next DC

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Correct! By my count GT has had 9 defensive recruits sign in 2017 and 2018 classes that were rated 4 star by some rating service. Nice foundation to build a defense around.
Which raises the question, do you start experience or talent?

I looked at App. St's recruiting over the past four seasons, 95% of their players are 2 star with recruiting rankings averaging in the 100's. I am very excited to see what Coach Woody can do with our players!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I feel like you and some others are actively rooting for Tech to fail.

Hope the “I told you so” is worth it to want your team to suck.

I don't want gt to suck. I want some fans to get their heads out of their backsides about who should be blamed for 10 years of mediocre at best defenses. A new dc didn't fix things last time or the time before that. But I'm sure this time will be different lol.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't want gt to suck. I want some fans to get their heads out of their backsides about who should be blamed for 10 years of mediocre at best defenses. A new dc didn't fix things last time or the time before that. But I'm sure this time will be different lol.
The issue is, you are completely ignoring the fact that who you say is the consistent issue has not been given free ability to hire who he wanted to because of funds. The consistent issue has been above CPJ.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If we hire Woody, I believe it will be different. Perhaps I am a fool, it wouldn't be the first time, it won't be the last.

I just happen to believe there is a Synergy that occurs between Paul Johnson's offense and an ultra aggressive defense. Paul Johnson's offense makes it harder for the other offense to get a rhythm and what his defense seems determined to prevent the other team from getting in a rhythm.

The two go logically together to me.

I'm not saying I expect Georgia Tech to suddenly turn into Alabama, but I do expect to see an improved defense the next two years if Woody is the hire.

A marginally improved defense would have been worth 3 wins this year.

slugboy

Staff member
If we hire Woody, I believe it will be different. Perhaps I am a fool, it wouldn't be the first time, it won't be the last.

I'm not saying I expect Georgia Tech to suddenly turn into Alabama, but I do expect to see an improved defense the next two years if Woody is the hire.

Special teams would have helped too; in FEI we ranked 125th out of 130 teams ranked in special teams.
We had one of our best years on defense, ranking 66th. On offense, we were 23rd.
We have more than one problem to solve, but getting defense into the top 50 would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I just happen to believe there is a Synergy that occurs between Paul Johnson's offense and an ultra aggressive defense. Paul Johnson's offense makes it harder for the other offense to get a rhythm and what his defense seems determined to prevent the other team from getting in a rhythm.

The two go logically together to me.

Since groh I have been saying , early in the year defense needs to be ultra aggressive so the offense gets the ball multiple times in as short a time period. Our Defense learns how to be aggressive and most importantly the offense gets reps to wear out the opponents defense. If it works great, then sub in the reserves.
At start of season teams are not as coached up on blitz and our offense as mid season. By mid season dial back.
Maybe onc year we can intentionally coach as if we are good going to great.
Early in the year Playing soft defense and conservative offense (we run the ball) lets end of season opponents document our weak points.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the App State has a guy saying that a reliable source of his states this has been a done deal for about a month. Again, TIFWIW...

I haven’t had time to watch what this guy does, but if what everyone is saying about his aggressive style is true, then I’m super excited. I like Roof, and I don’t think he’s a bad D coordinator...I just think it’s hard to be good in that style of defense unless you have an incredible amount of talent...which has always been an issue for us. In the past we’ve looked better with defenses that are always attacking. It lends itself to surrendering big plays, for sure, but hell I’ll take that over letting teams just march down the field on us in 10 yard chunks.