Next DC

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After Jawja obliterated GT this season I ran into Big George Foster and we chopped it up. He wasn't even like boasting over the victory. Very matter of fact about it all. Anyway he straight up said; "if y'all ever put some serious money into the program, put it on defense. A good defense with that type of offense would make y'all tough to handle. The other team wouldn't have time to score. "

Water is wet, right. Anyway this comes from the enemy.
BTW App States offense was damn good too.

slugboy

Staff member
Well
1. I can’t believe I watched the Dollar General bowl
2. Even though Woody is the rumored hire, I’ve seen rumors blow up here. I feel like it’s a better than even shot to be true. It wouldn’t surprise me with CPJ having North Carolina roots and Stansbury coming from UCF a few years ago if multiple people have been watching him
3. I saw a lot of gang tackling and not many stupid penalties. Most of the time, the angles were good.
4. I’m tempted to read more into the UT and WF games. UT had much more talent, and AppSt played them even. They played them better on defense than we did. It looks like they played WF as well as we did.
5. Looking at the FEI, S&P, and other adjusted stats, if they mean anything, than App State is playing better defense than us, and has for a while. They’re top 30/40, and we haven’t sniffed to 40 in 10 years.
6. App State is getting better DL and LB play than we are. Is it the grind of classes here? Otherwise we should be better, and we had seniors on our DL.
7. They look to be having much more fun on defense.
8. If the new DC (and any other coaching changes) improves the defense, we still have to fix awful kickoff coverage, poor offensive passing, field goals, and problems with our run blocking
9. I think I saw App State’s punter handle a kickoff (maybe that was Army?). Have we even looked at that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned
Woody would make close to 250K next year at AppSt according to what he's been getting paid the last 4 years. He's at 223K now and he's gotten about a 20K bump each of the past 4 seasons. We have Pelton, Preston, and Speed all making more than that currently. I say throw 650K at him and let's make it happen.

#Woodyball2018. Announcement coming soon I'd think.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I do wonder when we will hear something officially? I am also curious how it has been such a strong rumor that is highly likely that Woody is the main target? I hope but just curious

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Woody would make close to 250K next year at AppSt according to what he's been getting paid the last 4 years. He's at 223K now and he's gotten about a 20K bump each of the past 4 seasons. We have Pelton, Preston, and Speed all making more than that currently. I say throw 650K at him and let's make it happen.

#Woodyball2018

That's why it makes sense to go to a school like App State to get a DC (or OC if CPJ wasn't our OC). An established DC on the P5 level isn't jumping ship unless he's either on the hot seat at his current school, in which he's not doing well so they're looking to replace him (see: Ted Roof), or another school is offering him such a large increase in his salary he almost has to say "yes".

Hate to say it, but right now GT is a lateral move at best for most P5 DCs. No one is leaving a job they know and doing well at for the same job with far less certainty. GT just missed a bowl, our HC is older, and he's going on his 4th DC in 10 years. That's not a good situation for an established coordinator at the P5 level to leave a job for, especially if GT can't offer that guy a substantial raise than what he's already making. GT can't offer that.

Someone outside the non P5 level would absolutely bite at a school like GT. It gives that candidate the opportunity to move up and coach at the highest levels, more resources to coach, and will probably more than double his current salary. $600-700K is a BIG raise for someone making $250K. For someone already making $750K+ (which is what a good, established P5 DC is making) a raise to $800-900K isn't as substantial to take the risk on a situation like GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Now that App State's bowl game is over, we should see some movement on whether or not Woody is the next guy. Let's hope he doesn't have an agent out actively shopping GT's offer (if one was made).

I'm talking to you, Bryce Drew.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://appstatesports.com/news/2017...toric-shutout-in-dollar-general-bowl-win.aspx

"As the end of the season came about, we talked in our last three games about playing our best football, and the guys did," App State defensive coordinator Nate Woody said. "We put more and more defense in, and they took it and ran with it. As you go into the bowl week, you've got exams, and that's stressful for those kids, and we're putting in more defensive schemes for them.

"They executed it so well tonight, and I was just so proud of them because you can sit in there and write down your assignment on a piece of paper, but to go out there and execute it is difficult. They did it."

After reading that, I'm not sure Woody would fit in at GT. Our coaches are only allowed to "simplify" their schemes as the season goes on...ahem...

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I was expecting this board to be all about Coach Woody's defense this morning. I am a big Ted Roof fan, but what I saw last night was everything our defense is not. Super aggressive and confusing to the offense. I really, really hope this isn't another empty internet rumor.
I couldn't agree more. Woody is the one I want to see at GT! We don't need another let down. Now let's rush to the podium and presser and make the announcement.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't agree more. Woody is the one I want to see at GT! We don't need another let down. Now let's rush to the podium and presser and make the announcement.

If Woody is the man, he's going to have to clear some administrative hurdles (back ground checks, approvals, etc.). Probably won't hear official word for another 2-3 days.