New Stuff On D

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I just want to see blitzes from all areas including the corner and safety positions, not just the 3-4 DL and linebackers. I also want to see us shut down the run and contain watson, don't fly by him like a chicken with your head cut off. It would be nice to see the secondary play solid on every play by knowing their assignment, I mean if you get beat you get beat, but don't have a complete meltdown and leave a wheel route wide open. Other than that it doesn't matter what formation we use.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, I love this pic. It says a million words to me.

1618436.jpg

PJ'S repsonse as DaBo begs to PJ "please let us win one time at Bobby Dodd Stadium"

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Thinking in the abstract, shouldn't Tech's IE department be able to reasonably predict where the play is going or to whom the ball is going to? In the context of play calling, coordinators probably have a "feel" approach to selecting the play rather than a strict methodology. But, with only seconds to make a play call decision and having to continuously adjust to changing circumstances, plus the intense emotions of a football game, I'd expect that the coordinators are reverting to some sort of subconscious default or bias in their decision making?

If the answer is yes or even "kind of", couldn't we align our defense to bait a QB into making a certain read? e.g., if we can project a 40% chance of short-mesh play call, where receiver 1 is the QB's 1st option & the QB is trained to throw it to option 1 if the defense is playing x coverage, then could we show x coverage + add an unpredictable/unforeseen stunt by 1 individual player. For example, maybe the DE drops into coverage where reciever 1 will be thrown the ball instead of rushing the QB. If correct, the DE would be in a position to make a play on the ball or stop the ball carrier for no YAC.

Even if you guess wrong or the offense becomes aware of this tactic and adjusts in game, you're still buying time for your pass rush by delaying the QBs decision making. If you use this tactic effectively (assuming it's possible), perhaps you could thwart momentum, which seems like an a huge factor in most offenses' success.

Just a thought. If it's nonsense, feel free to remove. Would love to hear someone's thoughts though if you better understand the logic of what I'm trying to get at.

Tendencies are already analyzed and cut ups are already made in line with what you are suggesting.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gotta come with some corner blitzes too. Both Milton and White are pretty darned fast. Sometimes that is what it takes.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
i personally hope we see more of the three man front to minimize our depth shortage at those positions, then i hope we tee off PJ and marcordes and bring 5+ almost every play to try and rattle watson. Our only hope is to get him running around with his eyes down, he's a magnificently efficient passer and their skill positions could potentially have a field day on our secondary.