New Stuff On D

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’m hoping we keep seeing more of Step Durham and he continues to improve. Outside of DJ, he seems to be about the only guy who can actually defend a pass with his hands without just relying on hitting a guy and hoping he drops the ball.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Ha. Shhhhhhh. It's really going to be this defense -- the "two-level," essentially a 5-5-1, the "1" being an ultra-deep safety 25+ yards back, in search-and-destroy mode. ;)

[Actually, a Canadian football coach, John Thomson, and American defensive guru Bill Arnsparger, wrote a book on this rarely-seen defense. Thomson developed it in the Canadian college ranks in the early 1980s, to counter the then-cutting edge run-and-shoot offenses.]

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
upload_2014-11-13_13-12-26.jpeg

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Ha. Shhhhhhh. It's really going to be this defense -- the "two-level," essentially a 5-5-1, the "1" being an ultra-deep safety 25+ yards back, in search-and-destroy mode. ;)

[Actually, a Canadian football coach, John Thomson, and American defensive guru Bill Arnsparger, wrote a book on this rarely-seen defense. Thomson developed it in the Canadian college ranks in the early 1980s, to counter the then-cutting edge run-and-shoot offenses.]
thats an interesting concept… might work in high school but i bet it would get torched at this level…but then again people said the same thing about this offense. :)

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Thinking in the abstract, shouldn't Tech's IE department be able to reasonably predict where the play is going or to whom the ball is going to? In the context of play calling, coordinators probably have a "feel" approach to selecting the play rather than a strict methodology. But, with only seconds to make a play call decision and having to continuously adjust to changing circumstances, plus the intense emotions of a football game, I'd expect that the coordinators are reverting to some sort of subconscious default or bias in their decision making?

If the answer is yes or even "kind of", couldn't we align our defense to bait a QB into making a certain read? e.g., if we can project a 40% chance of short-mesh play call, where receiver 1 is the QB's 1st option & the QB is trained to throw it to option 1 if the defense is playing x coverage, then could we show x coverage + add an unpredictable/unforeseen stunt by 1 individual player. For example, maybe the DE drops into coverage where reciever 1 will be thrown the ball instead of rushing the QB. If correct, the DE would be in a position to make a play on the ball or stop the ball carrier for no YAC.

Even if you guess wrong or the offense becomes aware of this tactic and adjusts in game, you're still buying time for your pass rush by delaying the QBs decision making. If you use this tactic effectively (assuming it's possible), perhaps you could thwart momentum, which seems like an a huge factor in most offenses' success.

Just a thought. If it's nonsense, feel free to remove. Would love to hear someone's thoughts though if you better understand the logic of what I'm trying to get at.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I heard the down low was that all us folks on this here board were posting stuff like we knew what the heck was going on, while in reality we ain't got no dead gum clue what we are cooking up on defense.