New Roster is Out

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I’ve written this through the years several times, but it’s applicable so I’ll do it again. I had a good friend from high school that played basketball for the Mutts. He was 6’ 8” and always strong in HS. He went to college in June to start working out and getting on the nutrition plan, and when I visited him in Sept right before school started he was like a different person. He was down to some crazy level of body fat and was ripped.

Never underestimate what a dedicated period of time in a college sports weight/nutrition program can do for athletes in a short period of time.

With my hypo starting D there is a weight benefit of 129 pounds for 11 players or an avg weight benefit of 12 pounds per player. Weight benefit includes weight loss by Biggers and Lockett. With my hypo starting O there is a benefit of 91 pounds or an avg benefit of 8 pounds per player. However three O players had virtually no weight change so the avg of the 8 is 11 pounds per player. Impressive!

Weight benefits for Biggers and Lockett do distort the D numbers somewhat but that benefit may be the best benefit of all.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve written this through the years several times, but it’s applicable so I’ll do it again. I had a good friend from high school that played basketball for the Mutts. He was 6’ 8” and always strong in HS. He went to college in June to start working out and getting on the nutrition plan, and when I visited him in Sept right before school started he was like a different person. He was down to some crazy level of body fat and was ripped.

Never underestimate what a dedicated period of time in a college sports weight/nutrition program can do for athletes in a short period of time.
I graduated HS a year ahead of Leonard Pope, stud TE at uGA. In HS, he was skinny - by his senior year he was up to 220 lbs. After going to uGA, he started a nutrition and lifting program. By Christmas of his freshman year, he was up to 260-270 and it was all muscle. He gained muscle mass and cut fat - dude looked like a body builder.

Never under estimate how effective a comprehensive S&C program can be.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yup. After seeing that squat, it's reminding me of this:

Damn. As an aside, why do so many guys (at my gym anyways) skip leg day??? That's just not a good look imo. (disclaimer - I have the body type that likes like I too skip leg days. as well as upper body days too. on a positive note, everything is proportionally underdeveloped in a nice symmetrical sort of way!)

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I graduated HS a year ahead of Leonard Pope, stud TE at uGA. In HS, he was skinny - by his senior year he was up to 220 lbs. After going to uGA, he started a nutrition and lifting program. By Christmas of his freshman year, he was up to 260-270 and it was all muscle. He gained muscle mass and cut fat - dude looked like a body builder.

Never under estimate how effective a comprehensive S&C program can be.
S & C makes or breaks a good athletic program.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Damn. As an aside, why do so many guys (at my gym anyways) skip leg day??? That's just not a good look imo. (disclaimer - I have the body type that likes like I too skip leg days. as well as upper body days too. on a positive note, everything is proportionally underdeveloped in a nice symmetrical sort of way!)
Readers want to know... Does that mean you have the body type with built table muscle? Then again, maybe readers don't want to know.
😄

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Readers want to know... Does that mean you have the body type with built table muscle? Then again, maybe readers don't want to know.
😄
I still go to the gym 3-4 times a week just like I did back at Ma Tech going to the SAC (I think it was called). Back then I was built exactly like an engineer and/or an extra in the movie Revenge of the Nerds. 40 years later I still look the that, with the addition of an extra 15 lbs. Unlike Mr. Singleton who managed to add this weight to his legs, mine hovers below my pocket protector and above my SpongeBob boxer shorts.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I still go to the gym 3-4 times a week just like I did back at Ma Tech going to the SAC (I think it was called). Back then I was built exactly like an engineer and/or an extra in the movie Revenge of the Nerds. 40 years later I still look the that, with the addition of an extra 15 lbs. Unlike Mr. Singleton who managed to add this weight to his legs, mine hovers below my pocket protector and above my SpongeBob boxer shorts.
Me too! It's remarkable!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think two things are evident form the roster weights (if they are accurate).

First, Santucci told the DLs he wanted a lean mean fighting machine and he didn't want to see much in the way of a gut out there. This should pay dividends in terms of flexibility and endurance. Having Lockett and Biggers shed that extra weight can only help. And both of them are, the Lord knows, big enough.

Second, Wade told the OL that everybody was big enough and he didn't want to see anything but more muscle. This is a wise decision. During TFG's days we got bigger by getting fatter. No more.

And don't worry about Singleton. He's about the same size now that Snoddy was and just as fast. I see end arounds and toss sweeps in his future. Along with the usual, of course.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember seeing Scott Cochran (onetime Alabama S&C, later uGA S&C) saying that Nick Saban is the head coach for half the year, and Cochran is the head coach for half the year. I think there's a lot of truth to that. Games are won on the field, but just as much they are won in February through August. It's why we're investing so much in facilities to keep up with everyone else - better training, S&C, and nutrition are necessary if we want to win.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Impressive the way the team has responded to their off season S&C. Shows they are dedicated to improving as a team but each doing their part.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife just looked at me funny when I squealed 🤣

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think two things are evident form the roster weights (if they are accurate).

First, Santucci told the DLs he wanted a lean mean fighting machine and he didn't want to see much in the way of a gut out there. This should pay dividends in terms of flexibility and endurance. Having Lockett and Biggers shed that extra weight can only help. And both of them are, the Lord knows, big enough.

Second, Wade told the OL that everybody was big enough and he didn't want to see anything but more muscle. This is a wise decision. During TFG's days we got bigger by getting fatter. No more.

And don't worry about Singleton. He's about the same size now that Snoddy was and just as fast. I see end arounds and toss sweeps in his future. Along with the usual, of course.
Agree. Read somewhere that under Collins the training table got a little lax, almost eat what you like as long as it adds weight.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I still wasn't able to see the updated weights in the online roster. But I pulled the weights from the rosters in the media guides for 2023 and 2024. Only 56 players appear on both rosters - a lot of turnover. A lot more players are listed on the 2024 roster (122 vs 96), don't know if they didn't list all walk-ons last year or if we really have bigger numbers.

As noted by others, the biggest linemen lost weight. Everyone else, especially the younger guys, made gains.

List of changes for returning players:

1721861974896.png

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I still wasn't able to see the updated weights in the online roster. But I pulled the weights from the rosters in the media guides for 2023 and 2024. Only 56 players appear on both rosters - a lot of turnover. A lot more players are listed on the 2024 roster (122 vs 96), don't know if they didn't list all walk-ons last year or if we really have bigger numbers.

As noted by others, the biggest linemen lost weight. Everyone else, especially the younger guys, made gains.

List of changes for returning players:

View attachment 16416
The current online roster now has all the players (except Gee) and the post Spring Game roster had all the players except the 25 or so that just reported. Results from your lookup is similar but there are some differences. Conclusion is the same: IMPRESSIVE.