New recruit Petty $800,000 per year NIL

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Is the amount varied as true? My first thought was that cited amount is possibly planted info from some rival/s to sow envy, discord and a demand money baseline among current and future coveted recruiting targets in an effort to curb GT's rise as a viable destination for highly desired recruits in the area. If it is true, and with rosters expanding to 100 players, then I hope GT plans for at least a $100Million/year in the NIL war chest going forward.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Can't complain that GT is cheap, then complain that GT shouldn't pay big money to players. Can't have it both ways.

We've entered into the NIL era. Expect these numbers to get bigger as the years go by. Just be grateful GT and donors are stepping up so we can compete for these elite level recruits.
It’s the NFL with no salary cap. This has a bad ending IMO for college football.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s the NFL with no salary cap. This has a bad ending IMO for college football.
It hasn’t been “college” football in decades. Maybe this will finally disgust enough people to open their eyes that a lot of players in football, basketball, and baseball should have never been accepted as a student. I love that the tipping point has finally been reached where the players have taken over. Maybe it will bring sanity back if the fans stop the money flow. But as a fan, I’m fine with watching a bunch of mercenaries wearing my schools uniform willingly destroy their bodies all so I can be entertained.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It hasn’t been “college” football in decades. Maybe this will finally disgust enough people to open their eyes that a lot of players in football, basketball, and baseball should have never been accepted as a student. I love that the tipping point has finally been reached where the players have taken over. Maybe it will bring sanity back if the fans stop the money flow. But as a fan, I’m fine with watching a bunch of mercenaries wearing my schools uniform willingly destroy their bodies all so I can be entertained.
My cynical view is that it won’t be curbed or regulated until Blue Blood programs start losing players to smaller schools on a regular basis because of NIL. If, for example, a georgie recruiting class gets picked apart by schools like GT, UVA, TCU, etc. then I wouldn’t be surprised if there were suddenly limits on NIL by the end of the subsequent season to prevent the precious premier programs from ever being victimized again.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
My cynical view is that it won’t be curbed or regulated until Blue Blood programs start losing players to smaller schools on a regular basis because of NIL. If, for example, a georgie recruiting class gets picked apart by schools like GT, UVA, TCU, etc. then I wouldn’t be surprised if there were suddenly limits on NIL by the end of the subsequent season to prevent the precious premier programs from ever being victimized again.
While possible, it's not as simple as getting the NCAA to pass a new rule. The Blue Bloods will need to lobby Congress to get legislation passed. Currently, any restrictions are illegal unless agreed upon via collective bargaining.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Everyone on the team already knew that some players were making tons, whether at GT or at other places.

I take all the reported numbers with a grain of salt and I assume most of the top performers are getting taken care of already, so if anything it should just reduce the incentive to transfer out of GT to get paid if you show out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My question is how in the world do you keep the rest of the team happy when they know two or three guys are making hundreds of thousands of dollars and they are not?
From what I have heard, Key is open, honest, and upfront with players. You keep players happy by setting expectations, living up to those expectations, and having your program live up to those expectations.

From what I have seen, the $800k number came from an FSU blogger/Twitter person. I don't know if it is accurate or not. Much of the reporting about NIL contracts is nowhere near accurate. However, starting in 2025, each P4 school will be required to pay more than $20 million to athletes directly. Unless something changes, collaboratives can still provide more NIL money. The $20 million at GT would be roughly $50k per scholarship athlete in all sports. Many of the sports will likely not get paid anything. $800k for a top rated football player would be above the average for the entire team, but not so far out of line that it is certain to sew discord.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I decided to re-read the AJC article that I posted.

After reading it a second time — a bit more slowly and carefully this time — it appears that the AJC’s GT Sports beat writer, Mr. Chad Bishop, gives only one source for the $800K figure, and it’s something called On3.

I’m not criticizing Mr. Bishop, but who is On3? Anyone know?

Also — seems to me another source (a second source) might be helpful to confirm it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I decided to re-read the AJC article that I posted.

After reading it a second time — a bit more slowly and carefully this time — it appears that the AJC’s GT Sports beat writer, Mr. Chad Bishop, gives only one source for the $800K figure, and it’s something called On3.

I’m not criticizing Mr. Bishop, but who is On3? Anyone know?

Also — seems to me another source (a second source) might be helpful to confirm it.
On3 is a sports media / recruiting media company. I have never been to their website. Their headlines and Twitter posts seem to be clickbait, or at least sensationalistic. I believe the one source was the On3 guy who covers FSU.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t have an issue with the money… but if you’re going to pay that much, I’d rather us spend it on a known commodity. Even if we have to overpay for a transfer, there is a high degree of certainty the player is worth it. With a high school recruit, there is the unknown of how fast they will develop and contribute. He’s probably not going to be the best player on the offensive line day one. How are the other players going to react if he doesn’t earn a starting spot as a freshman?

Last edited: