New play

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This could be the result of bringing in some fresh ideas with an OC who's not from the Paul Johnson tree. I've been interested to see what wrinkles Cook brings to out offense

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This could be the result of bringing in some fresh ideas with an OC who's not from the Paul Johnson tree. I've been interested to see what wrinkles Cook brings to out offense

The idea is how to take care of over pursuit by the D. I saw one pitch where there were three NCS defenders to cover JT and the pitch man and knew they were over pursuing big time.

Almost any counter will work since all the defenders have left the backside. Good defenses like VT don't do that. I'll be surprised if Clemson over pursues too. I think they will rely more on overcoming individual blocks.

What I think will be open against ANY team is the jump passes or crossing routes to Smelter / Waller. The D can't cover everything, and the little DBs can't jump as high without interfering.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think that this year has probably been the best at highlighting CPJ's capabilities in game-planning and as a gameday coach/offensive play-caller.

To illustrate: think of any complaints you may have previously had in these areas and then try and compare your past complaints to similar situations, games, and play calls this year. It isn't that easy to lodge our past complaints right now is it? So why is that?

I think if you have an offensive line and entire offense that is executing their blocks and fulfilling their roles as individual parts of a complex scheme and then you have a QB running the scheme as confidently and assertively as is Thomas (plus his athletic gifts helping out at key moments) then an OC can look like an "offensive genius" and "master play-caller." I am not trying to give CPJ a back-handed compliment with that last remark. My point is that quality execution allows us to better see how the OC's mind is operating.

I can better grasp now how CPJ is already at the top of his own "coaching tree" (2 service academy head coaches) in his mid-fifties.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think that this year has probably been the best at highlighting CPJ's capabilities in game-planning and as a gameday coach/offensive play-caller.

To illustrate: think of any complaints you may have previously had in these areas and then try and compare your past complaints to similar situations, games, and play calls this year. It isn't that easy to lodge our past complaints right now is it? So why is that?

I think if you have an offensive line and entire offense that is executing their blocks and fulfilling their roles as individual parts of a complex scheme and then you have a QB running the scheme as confidently and assertively as is Thomas (plus his athletic gifts helping out at key moments) then an OC can look like an "offensive genius" and "master play-caller." I am not trying to give CPJ a back-handed compliment with that last remark. My point is that quality execution allows us to better see how the OC's mind is operating.

I can better grasp now how CPJ is already at the top of his own "coaching tree" (2 service academy head coaches) in his mid-fifties.
Like I said in another thread, he has more than 20% of his playbook to work with this year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, he has more than 20% of his playbook to work with this year.
But even compared to other years like under Tevin who really could run the base offense well and a slew of plays, or 2009 when the O had lots of highly skilled athletes at "skill" positions (never really sure why WR/RB are called skill positions?), I think that the overall unity in action/effort of the offense as a whole is markedly better and this allows the element of coaching decisions (game-planning and play-calling) to be better seen.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But even compared to other years like under Tevin who really could run a slew of plays from the base, or 2009 when the O had lots of highly skilled athletes at "skill" positions (never really sure why WR/RB are called skill positions?), I think that the overall unity in action/effort of the offense as a whole is markedly better and allows the element of coaching decisions (game-planning and play-calling) to be better seen.
I agree. This team really doesn't have a weak spot. We have capable players at every position. All FOUR options are viable. I'm not sure I could say that except for maybe 2oo9.