New head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not again. Please. I thought the joint was awfully slow but after reading this, it must be dead. The dreaded "who would you like as coach?" followed by the most ridiculous posings imaginable. Kind of like that cable TV network that has a guest say something truly stupid, to be picked up by a legitimate network, then to be reported by the original network as, guess, what, news! Please god. Let GT never lose again to anybody, ever. Then just maybe this will all go away.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
you are starting arguments over stuff I never said in my original post. I never denied that some kids don't pan out, I actually know there are a ton of them that don't, and there is also some low ranked kids who turn out to be super stars. you name all these other schools to show me that recruiting can be just as good in their area yet none of them have won a national championship recently except Ohio state, but teams from the south have. Not to mention half the teams you mentioned play very easy schedules and some have horrible defenses, offense isn't everything. All I'm saying is in the SOUTH I never said southeast, there is more quality talent then anywhere else, I'm not saying there are not great players elsewhere, but I'm talking about the number of recruits. To say recruiting doesn't matter is crazy, yes while a lot don't pan out most of them do at the college level, and I am aware that there are tons of guys that were low ranked recruits that turn out to be super stars. Answer me this though if there aren't more high quality recruits here why are the teams in the south continually playing for a national championship? Tell Alabama recruiting doesn't matter. You named a ton of good teams, I'm not doubting that, but they still aren't competeing year in and year out. And for the record I wasn't doing this thread to say we could or would get the big time recruits I was simply stating chip would have them interested because of his name and while there are a lot that couldnt get into GT there are a lot that could get into GT. Its a pointless argument anyways because I like cpj and I'm glad he's here at tech. So maybe you don't need to chill, but please start reading things in context, because you took what I said and started making an argument out of stuff I wasn't even talking about.

Your original post basically said to imagine CK with recruits from the South. You said that he never had access to great recruits in Oregon.

I have been arguing that the recruiting services are basically worthless. I don't understand how else you are trying to claim that the South has the best recruits. However, even using the recruiting services, CK always had top 15 recruiting classes at Oregon. I doubt he would have even one top 15 rated class at GT. In the last 15 years, GT has only had one top 15 rated class.

So from your original post, I dispute that CK would get great recruiting classes at GT, even being in what you believe to be the best recruiting area. I also dispute that CK didn't have good recruits at Oregon.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Your original post basically said to imagine CK with recruits from the South. You said that he never had access to great recruits in Oregon.

I have been arguing that the recruiting services are basically worthless. I don't understand how else you are trying to claim that the South has the best recruits. However, even using the recruiting services, CK always had top 15 recruiting classes at Oregon. I doubt he would have even one top 15 rated class at GT. In the last 15 years, GT has only had one top 15 rated class.

So from your original post, I dispute that CK would get great recruiting classes at GT, even being in what you believe to be the best recruiting area. I also dispute that CK didn't have good recruits at Oregon.
You might want to read what I said in my first post then, I said he never had the recruits there like he would here. Never did I say he didn't have access to good recruits. Make sure not to twist things to your own thinking. I also never said he would have a top 15 recruiting class here I said that recruits would want to play for him because of his big name. So maybe your right and his offense wouldn't be any better here because he wouldn't have a top 15 recruiting class, but still what you are arguing about is stuff I never said. And yes while star ranking aren't everything you can't argue the fact that the teams that are winning national championships and competing year in and year out and mostly in the south and are getting the big time recruits. Those aren't my opinions just facts, which you keep trying to debunk. I understand that other areas have good recruits, but the FACTS still point to the south as being the best overall area for recruiting. I also never said he would have great recruiting classes I said I think kids would want to play for him, once again you keep taking what I said out of context, and saying stuff I never said. Also my point was not to argue about this but to say I thibk he would be able to do good here that's just my opinion, but regardless of that I want to keep cpj here so all this is pointless.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You might want to read what I said in my first post then, I said he never had the recruits there like he would here. Never did I say he didn't have access to good recruits. Make sure not to twist things to your own thinking.

From your original post:
"but chip Kelly would do great at GT I think, imagine his offense but with the athletes down south. He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here even though they have great players out there. The south is just different"

I am not twisting things. This is an exact quote from your original post in which you state that he didn't have access to recruits at Oregon like he would here. Maybe you should read what you said in your first post again.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT will NEVER, EVER get guys like Chip Kelly, Nick sa(t)an, or even Les Miles. These guys are the highest paid mercenaries, and we are not that program. PJ is perfect for Tech, but I do admit that recruiting will continue to be the deciding factor, and at Tech, and with the academics and the system he runs, it will continue to be XTRA tough. We are a STEM school, and STEM schools, other than us, don't try to participate in big boy football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And yes while star ranking aren't everything you can't argue the fact that the teams that are winning national championships and competing year in and year out and mostly in the south and are getting the big time recruits. Those aren't my opinions just facts, which you keep trying to debunk.

Since 2000 Oklahoma, USC(twice), and Ohio State(twice) have won the mythical national championship. In the BCS era, the SEC won the championship 9 out of 16 times. However, the BCS was heavily skewed toward the SEC. "Reputation" and "Those aren't my opinions just facts" attitudes factored heavily in deciding who the top 2 teams were. Now, those attitudes factor heavily into deciding who the top four teams are. Had we still been in the BCS era in 2014, Alabama would have played FSU in the BCS title game. Ohio State would not have had the opportunity to prove they were the best team. Had more teams been involved in the 16 BCS years, I don't believe that the South would have fared as well as it did. FBS football is the ONLY sports division in the NCAA in which the "national champion"(mythical in the case of FBS) is not decided by playing games. In FBS it is decided by the "eye test" without regard for what actually happens on the field.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
From your original post:
"but chip Kelly would do great at GT I think, imagine his offense but with the athletes down south. He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here even though they have great players out there. The south is just different"

I am not twisting things. This is an exact quote from your original post in which you state that he didn't have access to recruits at Oregon like he would here. Maybe you should read what you said in your first post again.
I'm talking about your last post that says i said kelly never had accses to great recruits. You just told on yourself because in your highlighted part of my comment it clearly states THEY HAVE GREAT PLAYERS OUT THERE. Go back and read what you said in your first paragraph where you state I said he NEVER had great recruits there and then show me where I said that. and for the record I don't believe he would have the NUMBERS There as in high quality guys as he would in the south. So yes I did say that but your comment says something totally different. That would be considered twisting someone's words.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about head coach cause CPJ ain't going nowhere, but I'd like Derek Mason as DC. I'm not feeling Roof and never did.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm talking about your last post that says i said kelly never had accses to great recruits. You just told on yourself because in your highlighted part of my comment it clearly states THEY HAVE GREAT PLAYERS OUT THERE. Go back and read what you said in your first paragraph where you state I said he NEVER had great recruits there and then show me where I said that. and for the record I don't believe he would have the NUMBERS There as in high quality guys as he would in the south. So yes I did say that but your comment says something totally different. That would be considered twisting someone's words.
"THEY HAVE GREAT PLAYERS OUT THERE", they just aren't like the players that we have here. "The South is just different". So are you trying to say that the players in the South are better, or are you not trying to say that the players in the South are better. Your sentence kind of runs on and is hard to follow, but I take it to say that "He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here". That would mean that he didn't have access to the best recruits there. If my use of the word "never" offended you, then I apologize.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Since 2000 Oklahoma, USC(twice), and Ohio State(twice) have won the mythical national championship. In the BCS era, the SEC won the championship 9 out of 16 times. However, the BCS was heavily skewed toward the SEC. "Reputation" and "Those aren't my opinions just facts" attitudes factored heavily in deciding who the top 2 teams were. Now, those attitudes factor heavily into deciding who the top four teams are. Had we still been in the BCS era in 2014, Alabama would have played FSU in the BCS title game. Ohio State would not have had the opportunity to prove they were the best team. Had more teams been involved in the 16 BCS years, I don't believe that the South would have fared as well as it did. FBS football is the ONLY sports division in the NCAA in which the "national champion"(mythical in the case of FBS) is not decided by playing games. In FBS it is decided by the "eye test" without regard for what actually happens on the field.
So since 2000 10 teams from the south have won the national championships and only
Four in other places, you are just proving my point. I agree that the FBS is decided by the eye test, but that doesn't mean the south hasn't been better. Historically there has been more teams from the south that were solid teams than anywhere else. This is not an opinion of mine but it shows in the records and national championships, and while I agree about the eye test to some extent, these teams that win it all are always ranked among the top teams on offense and defense in the nation.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
"THEY HAVE GREAT PLAYERS OUT THERE", they just aren't like the players that we have here. "The South is just different". So are you trying to say that the players in the South are better, or are you not trying to say that the players in the South are better. Your sentence kind of runs on and is hard to follow, but I take it to say that "He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here". That would mean that he didn't have access to the best recruits there. If my use of the word "never" offended you, then I apologize.
I have already said that there are MORE quality players in the south. Sorry I thought that was understood by the multiple times I said it. If I said it wrong in my first comment I appologize, but what I'm trying to get across is the fact that there are more higly recruited kids here that he could talk with than there. Honestly though I'm done arguing, it doesn't even matter. I'm glad we have cpj and don't even think we would have a chance at chip, I was just saying I think he would do good here.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So since 2000 10 teams from the south have won the national championships and only
Four in other places, you are just proving my point. I agree that the FBS is decided by the eye test, but that doesn't mean the south hasn't been better. Historically there has been more teams from the south that were solid teams than anywhere else. This is not an opinion of mine but it shows in the records and national championships, and while I agree about the eye test to some extent, these teams that win it all are always ranked among the top teams on offense and defense in the nation.

I heard commentators discussing Boise State many years ago when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. One commentator in particular said that Boise needed to prove themselves for several more years to be in consideration for the BCS title game. The same commentator commented on Boise after they defeated Georgia in 2011. He stated that Boise was "old news" and that they should have made a move for the national championship earlier. In 1990, Colorado lost a game. They then won a game because the officials gave them five downs. They then won the Orange Bowl because the officials called a phantom penalty on a kick returned for a touch down. Even with the loss, and two wins given by officials, the AP voted them the number 1 team in the country. Until every conference champion is given a shot at proving themselves on the field, the FBS national champion is nothing more than a popularity contest. Great to win, but it doesn't PROVE that you are the best team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I heard commentators discussing Boise State many years ago when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. One commentator in particular said that Boise needed to prove themselves for several more years to be in consideration for the BCS title game. The same commentator commented on Boise after they defeated Georgia in 2011. He stated that Boise was "old news" and that they should have made a move for the national championship earlier. In 1990, Colorado lost a game. They then won a game because the officials gave them five downs. They then won the Orange Bowl because the officials called a phantom penalty on a kick returned for a touch down. Even with the loss, and two wins given by officials, the AP voted them the number 1 team in the country. Until every conference champion is given a shot at proving themselves on the field, the FBS national champion is nothing more than a popularity contest. Great to win, but it doesn't PROVE that you are the best team.
I wish they would go to an 8 team playoff with each power 5 confrence having at least one team represented in it.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I have changed my mind and say we should go after Saban. If we cant get him then we for sure should go after Jim Harbaugh. If either of these 2 should turn us down which I wouldn't know why they would then we go after Belichick cause he is itching to go to the college ranks.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I have changed my mind and say we should go after Saban. If we cant get him then we for sure should go after Jim Harbaugh. If either of these 2 should turn us down which I wouldn't know why they would then we go after Belichick cause he is itching to go to the college ranks.
Belichick is friends with cpj. I bet he will come DC for us cheap after he's bored with the NFL ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.