New head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't think cpj will be fired after this season even if we don't win another game, nor do I think he should be fired at this point, but if he was who would you like to be a head coach for us? I know a lot of people don't understand him, but chip Kelly would do great at GT I think, imagine his offense but with the athletes down south. He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here even though they have great players out there. The south is just different, and with him being such a big name coach many kids here in the south would want to play for him. Sorry if my title was a little misleading are Yall thought we were getting a new head coach.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
How are you planning on getting the money together to hire a guy like that, much less CPJ's buyout? I'd love CK but that's not happening unfortunately.

Count me as one that wants CPJ back, at least for now. With our schedule next year we should win at least 9 games, maybe 10 or more.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of questions about Chip Kelly. I don't think he can come back to college coaching due to violations he incurred at Oregon. There are also a lot of african american players that consider him to be a racist. I think we are better off to steer clear of that dude.

Go Jackets!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't want Johnson to leave. I think your analysis of Kelly is flawed in a couple of ways. His current salary is about three times CPJ's salary. His recruiting rankings at Oregon were consistently between 10-20. His recruiting at Ga Tech would be severely limited by the academic requirements. Your analysis of the "athletes down south" sounds almost identical to the media's description of "SEC speed". FSU had an opportunity last year to show the "greatness" of kids from the South vs kids from the North West. How did that turn out?

Georgia Tech could not pay enough to get Kelly. The team at the moment is not well suited to run his offense. The school is not well suited to recruit the athletes to run his offense. If you did hire him, it would take 2-3 years to get athletes in place to run his system, if he was ever able to get them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
How are you planning on getting the money together to hire a guy like that, much less CPJ's buyout? I'd love CK but that's not happening unfortunately.

Count me as one that wants CPJ back, at least for now. With our schedule next year we should win at least 9 games, maybe 10 or more.
I'm not saying we would have the money this is just pure talk. I personally want cpj to stay.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't want Johnson to leave. I think your analysis of Kelly is flawed in a couple of ways. His current salary is about three times CPJ's salary. His recruiting rankings at Oregon were consistently between 10-20. His recruiting at Ga Tech would be severely limited by the academic requirements. Your analysis of the "athletes down south" sounds almost identical to the media's description of "SEC speed". FSU had an opportunity last year to show the "greatness" of kids from the South vs kids from the North West. How did that turn out?

Georgia Tech could not pay enough to get Kelly. The team at the moment is not well suited to run his offense. The school is not well suited to recruit the athletes to run his offense. If you did hire him, it would take 2-3 years to get athletes in place to run his system, if he was ever able to get them.
It's actaully a proven fact that there are more higher ranked recruits down south, sec speed is just speculation, but ok....... Calm down ppl I want cpj to stay. I was just saying I wouldn't mind having chip if cpj was not here, no where did I say it would even be possible. Some people on these site takes everything to serious.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It's actaully a proven fact that there are more higher ranked recruits down south, sec speed is just speculation, but ok....... Calm down ppl I want cpj to stay. I was just saying I wouldn't mind having chip if cpj was not here, no where did I say it would even be possible. Some people on these site takes everything to serious.

It is also proven that many of those "higher ranked recruits" do not turn out to be great college players. There are 5 star guys in Athens that never start. I know of at least one that started maybe four games his entire career. His freshman year there were stories about NFL scouts raving about his measurements. Ended up that he didn't perform well enough to be a starter, didn't get drafted, and never sniffed an NFL field. However, he helped UGA get the #4 rated recruiting class. Being a "higher ranked recruit" doesn't prove anything.

I'm not hyped up about anything so no need to calm down.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think cpj will be fired after this season even if we don't win another game, nor do I think he should be fired at this point, but if he was who would you like to be a head coach for us? I know a lot of people don't understand him, but chip Kelly would do great at GT I think, imagine his offense but with the athletes down south. He didn't have the recruits in his back yard when at Oregon like he would here even though they have great players out there. The south is just different, and with him being such a big name coach many kids here in the south would want to play for him. Sorry if my title was a little misleading are Yall thought we were getting a new head coach.
What's CPJ's contract? Something like $3 million a year for 6 or 7 years? We can't even buy out Gregory.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally? I can't think of anyone better than CPJ. Whether you want to admit it or not, given the recruiting competition GT has to deal with amidst academic restrictions, GT is more a service academy than an Alabama. We are a service academy with the ability to snag some good athletes suited for such an offense. Defense is different. We are ordinary in that sense, but so are most unless say Tenuta with the blitzkreig.

CPJ is the best at the service academy offense ergo I want him leading the team. I think his offense gets us better offensive skill position athletes than competing with the SECs of the world for that awesome prostyle QB or half back.

Gun to my head on another coach? Gimme Brian Bohannon or Niumtolo at Navy.

Coach with a different style? Gimme Chad Morris or bust. But again, he requires a stud QB. Not sure w could get it often enough at GT.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It is also proven that many of those "higher ranked recruits" do not turn out to be great college players. There are 5 star guys in Athens that never start. I know of at least one that started maybe four games his entire career. His freshman year there were stories about NFL scouts raving about his measurements. Ended up that he didn't perform well enough to be a starter, didn't get drafted, and never sniffed an NFL field. However, he helped UGA get the #4 rated recruiting class. Being a "higher ranked recruit" doesn't prove anything.

I'm not hyped up about anything so no need to calm down.
I understand there are more that just that one guy as well, but what you just said doesn't dissprove the fact that there is more talent in the south. Just look at the football teams here compared to other areas.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
With South Carolina and Southern California open (and likely Miami later), there are a lot of super nice coaching jobs available for guys looking to move up. Imagine if Mark Richt packs up for one of those and we have uga to compete for coaches with. I think even if we managed to get together the funding, we aren't a great enough job to get anyone who's worth firing CPJ over. Though, to humor OP, I would maybe say Tom Herman? Without doing much research, I feel like his offense would translate well to our personnel. He seems like a great recruiter and he's generating a lot of hype at Houston. And I'd also go with Niumatatolo, but I just don't think replacing CPJ with a disciple would lead to better results.

Point is, CPJ is a 3 time ACC Coach of the Year. We are a couple of good plays away from being 5-2 this year, so I don't think we should be discussing this just yet. I hate to sound like a dawg fan, but next year could be the year. Offense should take a large jump with Mikell Lands-Davis, Taquan Marshall, Qua Searcy, and AJ Green at A-Back. Marcus Marshall at B-Back. And a bigger, faster OL protecting a senior Justin Thomas. As for the defense, I don't know if they'll ever be good, but this team sure is fun to watch when the offense is near unstoppable.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We have the coach we need. One bad season here does not bring any merit to getting rid of him. Do we need work? Absolutely. Our D is atrocious. And like previously stated our academic requirements are our biggest hurdle. But there are other teams that are recruiting better than us right now and that is what we need to figure out.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Worst thread ever. Chip Kelly...really. No coach can change the academic requirement. This is a waste of time. I even feel like I wasted 2 minutes of my life for reading this and then posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.