New head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Let's play why we can't find DLmen? Because until we do, we are going to keep having the same discussion about the success of this program.

Oh, that one is easy. Because, more than any other position, about 90% of the elite D lineman cannot get into GT. So, we are essentially competing with every single other school for about 10% of the elite D lineman. That is not an easy task.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Last Friday I stopped in to Willy's for a burrito. A guy sitting a nearby table saw my Tech shirt and asked "Aren't you glad they signed Paul Johnson to an extension?" with a sarcastic tone.

"Yes I am. What is happening to the team this year is not entirely his fault, and firing him to bring in someone else is not going to fix anything short term anyway."

He didn't say anything else.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I understand there are more that just that one guy as well, but what you just said doesn't dissprove the fact that there is more talent in the south. Just look at the football teams here compared to other areas.

There are more than that one guy, but he is an example that ratings from websites of high school athletes is not effective and should not carry ANY weight. As far as "Just look at the football teams here compared to other areas", I guess you are overlooking Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I guess Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame from the MidWest don't count. I guess Utah, TCU, and Baylor from the SouthWest don't count. I guess the recruiting rankings from California and Texas don't count since they are not in the SouthEast. It is all subjective. People in the Pac-12 or the B1G can make arguments that they have very good athletes and strong conferences. There is no objective measure that cannot be disputed that clearly shows that teams in the SouthEast are considerably more athletic than teams in other areas.

Also, there are many good athletes that are not good students. GT cannot recruit them. Every student at GT has to pass calculus. GT has to recruit good STUDENTS who are good athletes. We have been able to recruit very good athletes who are also good students. We have not had to make this choice, but as a graduate, I would prefer that we have lesser athletes who are good students than great athletes who damage the academic reputation of the school. The academic integrity of the school is much more important than winning seasons in football.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I didn't want to post in this because I didn't want to help keep this think at the top of the board, but I'm just tired of hearing this when things aren't going our way. We've had 2 really great seasons under Paul. Probably the best 2 that we've had since I've been alive, minus 98 maybe, but I barely remember that. I don't want to go back to someone like Gailey. I think we have a great coach, but we are really young and really thin. I don't like our defensive coordinator hires, but a lot of that has to do with recruiting as well. I wish we could find a Defensive Line because that covers a lot of sins on defense. Hopefully we bring in quite a few with this class. Other than that, nothing is going to change. Maybe a new ST coach, but Paul isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't be going anywhere so let's try to be productive with our football talk.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
I think CPJs system is actually best for Tech (considering we can recruit by being CONSISTENTLY dominant in the ACC year to year).

If I had to come up with a name, it would be Kirby Smart (DC at Alabama). Knowing we have several special circumstances (academics, recruiting in a SEC world), we could use an SEC mindset. Mindset that has a National Championship as the main goal every year (not just settled with winning the division).

Kirby is a great defensive mind and we should still produce on offense (per the usual).

PLUS, his last name is Smart! Our marketing team could have a field day!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJs system is actually best for Tech (considering we can recruit by being CONSISTENTLY dominant in the ACC year to year).

If I had to come up with a name, it would be Kirby Smart (DC at Alabama). Knowing we have several special circumstances (academics, recruiting in a SEC world), we could use an SEC mindset. Mindset that has a National Championship as the main goal every year (not just settled with winning the division).

Kirby is a great defensive mind and we should still produce on offense (per the usual).

PLUS, his last name is Smart! Our marketing team could have a field day!
The fire Richt crowd all want Smart who is a former dawg. South Carolina is looking at him closely too this year.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
The only realistic hire we could get would be someone like TCU's OC or another OC. Maybe Godsey. I doubt we could get a big name coach.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
The only realistic hire we could get would be someone like TCU's OC or another OC. Maybe Godsey. I doubt we could get a big name coach.
Out of curiosity why do you think that is the case?....CPJ was a hot pick at the time...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I personally think that Kirby Smart is an expensive disaster waiting to happen for whoever gets him. It will be even worse if he goes to a non-factory like GT. When CPJ retires, I hope we go with an up and coming coach who built something at a smaller program.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There are more than that one guy, but he is an example that ratings from websites of high school athletes is not effective and should not carry ANY weight. As far as "Just look at the football teams here compared to other areas", I guess you are overlooking Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I guess Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame from the MidWest don't count. I guess Utah, TCU, and Baylor from the SouthWest don't count. I guess the recruiting rankings from California and Texas don't count since they are not in the SouthEast. It is all subjective. People in the Pac-12 or the B1G can make arguments that they have very good athletes and strong conferences. There is no objective measure that cannot be disputed that clearly shows that teams in the SouthEast are considerably more athletic than teams in other areas.

Also, there are many good athletes that are not good students. GT cannot recruit them. Every student at GT has to pass calculus. GT has to recruit good STUDENTS who are good athletes. We have been able to recruit very good athletes who are also good students. We have not had to make this choice, but as a graduate, I would prefer that we have lesser athletes who are good students than great athletes who damage the academic reputation of the school. The academic integrity of the school is much more important than winning seasons in football.
you are starting arguments over stuff I never said in my original post. I never denied that some kids don't pan out, I actually know there are a ton of them that don't, and there is also some low ranked kids who turn out to be super stars. you name all these other schools to show me that recruiting can be just as good in their area yet none of them have won a national championship recently except Ohio state, but teams from the south have. Not to mention half the teams you mentioned play very easy schedules and some have horrible defenses, offense isn't everything. All I'm saying is in the SOUTH I never said southeast, there is more quality talent then anywhere else, I'm not saying there are not great players elsewhere, but I'm talking about the number of recruits. To say recruiting doesn't matter is crazy, yes while a lot don't pan out most of them do at the college level, and I am aware that there are tons of guys that were low ranked recruits that turn out to be super stars. Answer me this though if there aren't more high quality recruits here why are the teams in the south continually playing for a national championship? Tell Alabama recruiting doesn't matter. You named a ton of good teams, I'm not doubting that, but they still aren't competeing year in and year out. And for the record I wasn't doing this thread to say we could or would get the big time recruits I was simply stating chip would have them interested because of his name and while there are a lot that couldnt get into GT there are a lot that could get into GT. Its a pointless argument anyways because I like cpj and I'm glad he's here at tech. So maybe you don't need to chill, but please start reading things in context, because you took what I said and started making an argument out of stuff I wasn't even talking about.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Would would anyone proclaiming to be a fan of GA Tech ever start a thread like this? TROLL.
I'm a huge GT fan, and I'm very glad we have cpj, I have seen a lot of ppl say he needs to be fired this year, but I am not one of those. I was simply seeing who others like as a coach. Chill buddy it's not that big of a deal.

PEOPLE CALM DOWN THIS IS NOT TO BASH ANY COACH. I WAS JUST SEEING WHO OTHER PEOPLE LIKED AS COACHES. GO BACK AND READ MY ORIGINAL POST I DONT THINK CPJ SHOULD BE FIRED. YALL TAKE THINGS WAY TO SERIOUS SOMETIMES.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket i created this thread, but wanted to see if you could lock it so it doesn't get out of hand anymore. It was not meant for what people are making it out to be. Thank you!

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity why do you think that is the case?....CPJ was a hot pick at the time...

GT isn't exactly a step up for most big name coaches. Ex: Charlie Strong, Steve Spurrier, Chip Kelly, people like that. I could see Todd Herman taking the job. I think he would get better offers though.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally? I can't think of anyone better than CPJ. Whether you want to admit it or not, given the recruiting competition GT has to deal with amidst academic restrictions, GT is more a service academy than an Alabama. We are a service academy with the ability to snag some good athletes suited for such an offense. Defense is different. We are ordinary in that sense, but so are most unless say Tenuta with the blitzkreig.

CPJ is the best at the service academy offense ergo I want him leading the team. I think his offense gets us better offensive skill position athletes than competing with the SECs of the world for that awesome prostyle QB or half back.

Gun to my head on another coach? Gimme Brian Bohannon or Niumtolo at Navy.

Coach with a different style? Gimme Chad Morris or bust. But again, he requires a stud QB. Not sure w could get it often enough at GT.

This ^ All things considered, CPJ is the best man for the job at Tech. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.