New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We’ve played them every year for over 4 decades I believe and they have been a rival for longer. I think we still lead the series by a good margin but I haven’t checked.

I’m trying to imagine uga giving up playing Florida or Auburn and I just can’t imagine it. Rivals build interest over generations of fandom.
You have to win to be a rival. We are currently not a rival to Clemson. That needs to change.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My personal opinion on no permanent rivals is that I just don't care. What I mean by that is that I don't care about any specific teams in the ACC. None of them mean anything to me anymore. I used to feel very differently but lately I've just stopped caring much who we play. I want to see us play a competitive schedule so when I say I don't care it doesn't mean I want us to play a ton of patsies. I just mean that Clemson doesn't mean that much to me other than "good football team up the road that wears orange and has a tiger paw on their helmets" and if there's another team we play instead of them that's fine with me.

I guess I've just gotten used to change being the only constant. I don't know if that's good or bad. It just is, for me. But I respect the opinions of those who do care and I'm sorry that we don't have the permanent rivals that DO mean something to you.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Taking our 2 best home games away from our actual stadium should be a criminal offence
Let’s see them do that to a Tobacco Road school and watch how quickly it would get changed back to actual home games….actually, they would never take their two best home games and make them neutral sites, especially not putting one on a different continent. I know we love to hate on the ACC, but I’m really glad they have had to realign conference schedules repeatedly over the past few years. It has given us multiple reminders of where we stand in the conference. If another offer comes around, all we would really need to do is look at what they have done to us these past three years and the decision becomes quite easy to make.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see them do that to a Tobacco Road school and watch how quickly it would get changed back to actual home games….actually, they would never take their two best home games and make them neutral sites, especially not putting one on a different continent. I know we love to hate on the ACC, but I’m really glad they have had to realign conference schedules repeatedly over the past few years. It has given us multiple reminders of where we stand in the conference. If another offer comes around, all we would really need to do is look at what they have done to us these past three years and the decision becomes quite easy to make.
Pretty sure the ACC had absolutely nothing to do with us playing FSU in Ireland or Notre Dame in MBS. Both of those were GT decisions and the ACC was not involved. The ACC has shafted Tech in different ways before, but neither of those 2 games are reasons to be disgruntled with the conference.

davidgray

Georgia Tech Fan
My personal opinion on no permanent rivals is that I just don't care. What I mean by that is that I don't care about any specific teams in the ACC. None of them mean anything to me anymore. I used to feel very differently but lately I've just stopped caring much who we play. I want to see us play a competitive schedule so when I say I don't care it doesn't mean I want us to play a ton of patsies. I just mean that Clemson doesn't mean that much to me other than "good football team up the road that wears orange and has a tiger paw on their helmets" and if there's another team we play instead of them that's fine with me.

I guess I've just gotten used to change being the only constant. I don't know if that's good or bad. It just is, for me. But I respect the opinions of those who do care and I'm sorry that we don't have the permanent rivals that DO mean something to you.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Pitt has been in the ACC since 2013 and 2028 will be the first road game for Wake vs. Pitt.
15 years to play a conference member home and home. What a league.

Texas A&M has been in the SEC since 2012 and has only played UGA once since then, and it was in Athens. There still isn’t even a game scheduled for College Station yet, and the SEC schedule is already set for 2024. UGA will go at least 14 seasons without a trip to a conference opponent’s place, and one of the better programs in the conference at that. Conferences over 12 teams are just way too big IMO. The disparity in schedules is too large, and teams in the same conference can go 6+ years without playing each other. Even in the NFL, a 32 team league, each team can only go 4 years MAX without seeing any one team in the regular season.

If a 4 year player can go their entire career and not face every team in their conference at least once, it’s a flawed system. Ideally every 4 year senior would get at least 1 home game and 1 away game for every other team in the conference. 2 divisions with 6 teams each was perfect to me. The new free-for-all scheduling with no divisional tie-in to the conference championship game is dumb to me. There’s a decent possibility with 17 teams that the 2 teams playing in the conference championship game won’t even have a singular shared opponent. That’s stupid.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC was trying to put together a scheduling model that really favored certain programs over others... wouldn't they want those teams to play each other the least often? That would increase the odds those teams have a path to meet in the ACCCG. This model makes it pretty unlikely more than one tobacco road team gets there any given year.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
We should have asked for Clemp and Free Shoes every year. Best chance of having 2 decent turnouts home and away.
When was the last time we had majority of our fans at home games with these two? would be a different mind set when we rebuild the GT fan base

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You have to win to be a rival. We are currently not a rival to Clemson. That needs to change.
You may not feel we are rivals but lots of Tech fans would disagree.

Long time Clemson fans very much think of us as rivals.

Tech leads series 51-32-2.

It’s stupid to ditch history when generations of families have a tradition of attending this game.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So we complain about how hard our schedule is with Clempson on it every year. Then we complain that we won't be playing them every year. Got it.

The way we are set up, J Batt is looking 10+ years down the road. We get to play all foes more regularly. It also gets us ready for jumping the ACC to another conference by starting to pump the brakes on our ACC "rivalries" rather than pull the emergency brake. I fully believe this is an easier path that gets us to Charlotte, which is goal number one. Win that game and we get to the 8 team playoff. All bets are off at that point.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With no ACC rivals will be interesting to see if that changes the view of out of conference games. My guess GT will continue to play a second Power 5 team home and home to boost attendance for those games. Teams such as Colorado and Alabama.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So we complain about how hard our schedule is with Clempson on it every year. Then we complain that we won't be playing them every year. Got it.
Those aren't the same people complaining. Some even want to drop Ugag.

Change is inevitable, and that's fine. "The more things change, the more they stay the same", as they say in France. But tradition is a very important part of college football, and I don't think it's wise to throw traditions, especially perennial rivalries right down the road, over so easily. We have so few of them left, and the current upheavals are destroying the few that remain.

We have now one left. If we stop playing Ugag, we'll have none.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Those aren't the same people complaining. Some even want to drop Ugag.

Change is inevitable, and that's fine. "The more things change, the more they stay the same", as they say in France. But tradition is a very important part of college football, and I don't think it's wise to throw traditions, especially perennial rivalries right down the road, over so easily. We have so few of them left, and the current upheavals are destroying the few that remain.

We have now one left. If we stop playing Ugag, we'll have none.
Exactly.

I think some fans were not complaining about playing uga and Clemson so much as saying if you automatically have them on the schedule every year it makes no sense to load up your out of conference schedule with additional powerhouses. You don’t have to have a schedule as soft as uga but don’t have to consistently have one of the hardest schedules in the country.

Rivalries are good for other teams. It’s stupid to think they are not good for us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Trading their fans for empty seats is not a good plan. When we build our fan base, we can trade them for our fans then.
When Tech beat uga 8 games in a row there were zero uga fans asking to drop the series. Neither did they complain about Tech fans taking over a stadium, ours or theirs.

Instead, year after year after year, they longed for when they might beat Tech again. When they did, they retired the jersey of the player who scored the winning touchdown. Kids need to google “the drought breaker.”

That’s what a rivalry is.