New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
All the North Carolina teams got each other as permanent rivals creating some of the cushiest road schedules in the ACC.

Exactly. Guess who will be seeing more road trips to the west coast. Since the NC schools will only be rotating 5 new conference games each year their California trips will come less often for them. Since GT and Louisville have no permanents, they will rotate their ACC schedules more often and they will see Cal, Stanford, and SMU more often.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding something about this situation.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are making way too much out of the term “protected rival”. We will still play Clemson just not every year. Or we could if they handle their business and we handle ours- that game would be in Charlotte.

JBatt knows we have to win games for anything positive to happen whether it’s make the ACCCG (based on win percentage), get into an expanded playoff, or change conferences. None of those things happen by being a tough and competitive 7-5 team (remember the Gailey years). Those things CAN happen going 9-3. The difference in money and perception from 7 wins to 9 wins in a beauty pageant sport for playoff spots is HUGE. JBatt just removed a hurdle in our path.

I’d much rather play Clemson or FSU in the ACCCG on national tv than play them in the regular season on the CW which would allow a VT or UNC to get that ACCCG slot just because we want to beat our chest about a “protected rivalry”.

My protected rival is whoever we play next because I want to win freaking games which allows us to get better future players which allows us to win more future games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Guess who will be seeing more road trips to the west coast. Since the NC schools will only be rotating 5 new conference games each year their California trips will come less often for them. Since GT and Louisville have no permanents, they will rotate their ACC schedules more often and they will see Cal, Stanford, and SMU more often.

I don't think any of the current ACC teams see more trips to west coast.

The approved format will continue to have each member institution play eight conference games per season, with all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road. The current 14 conference teams will play a total of three times each in California over the seven years and none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If he views Clemson as a loss 70% of the time (and it’s been worse than that for a while), are you going to fight for that game?
By that logic, Tech should have stopped playing them in 1907, when the record was 1-7 against Clemson.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think any of the current ACC teams see more trips to west coast.

The approved format will continue to have each member institution play eight conference games per season, with all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road. The current 14 conference teams will play a total of three times each in California over the seven years and none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

Two big constraints there
all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons
And
none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

All true which is why we need to leave this joke of a Carolina mafia conference. But, I’m looking forward to the California games and the players, most of whom probably have never been to Cali or Texas, will get up for those games so it may end up being a good deal. And the travel isn’t an issue these days. And perhaps it expands our recruiting a little when the Cali 4 stars see us up close and want to visit the ATL.

slugboy

Staff member
By that logic, Tech should have stopped playing them in 1907, when the record was 1-7 against Clemson.

I think you missed the point—we have an uneven revenue distribution based on performance. The situation has changed from 2 years ago. We will make less money if we don’t go bowling, so postseason goals are a bigger factor

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think you missed the point—we have an uneven revenue distribution based on performance. The situation has changed from 2 years ago. We will make less money if we don’t go bowling, so postseason goals are a bigger factor
And who says we can't beat Clemson? We have a good shot at beating them this year. They're 4-4. Beat crummy little teams and go to crummy little bowl games. Is that what we aspire to?
Get little and stay little, so we can go to the weed eater bowl. Ugh.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Long-term (how long is the question) the protected ACC “rivals“ won’t matter this sh!t is all going to get blown up

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The fact that the Tobacco road mafia all got 3 rivals (even though one of them wants to leave the ACC) just irritates the everliving hell out of me! All the other schools should 100% refuse to go along with this.
All of the other schools were involved in the discussions and agreed to it. It wasn't announced to the schools and athletic associations yesterday, they have been aware of it. It was announced to the fans yesterday, after all of the schools agreed to it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts.

GT didn't ask for any protected rivals so it didn't receive any.
That also meant that it was likely to have the most games against other conference teams with fewer protected rivals.

ACC is not going to pay any attention to who teams play on their OOC schedule when they set up the conference schedules. Their primary goal is to set up the conference schedule in a way that meets all the protected rivals and also to limit cross country travel for all schools. It is up to the individual schools to set up their OOC schedules.

This doesn't show ND but I suspect before next year we will see a schedule with ND that shows how that is going to run for the next 7 years.

Fans are way too down on the ACC as a conference - it isn't going anywhere. It is going to exist in 2036 and likely beyond. There may be schools that leave by 2036 (and for all we know GT could be one of them) but the conference will survive - that was part of the reason for the expansion. It has easily the 3rd best contract in college football and the future revenue projections for the conferences show the Big 2 expanding their annual revenue numbers over other conferences, but the ACC's annual revenues continue to expand faster than the B12. ACC hasn't lost a school since 2012.

The NC mafia has less power going forward than it is has in the past. With the new additions it will take 5 schools to stop anything that the other schools want to do. Going forward the 4 schools that tried to stop the expansion initially would no longer have the power to do that going forward.

Some fans seem upset about the NC Schools getting protection. I'm not really worried about that. I am simply focused on seeing GT becoming the best version of itself. That's likely a program that can avg 8-8.5 wins over a 5-yr period with maybe 1 ACC Championship game appearance and maybe a CFP appearance once a decade.

FWIW, here are my priorities for GT.
1. See if we can help the ACC improve as a conference. This is easily the best option for GT Athletics. A strong ACC is good for GT as GT fits better in the ACC than any other power conference. Part of this is simply GT becoming a much better football program as GT has been one of the worst P5 programs over the last 5 years.
2. If B1G actually made an offer you likely have to take it but understand what you are likely doing. You are trading wins for money. Very few schools have moved up from a 'lower' conference to a 'higher' conference and done better on the field. You make more money than the schools you used to compete against - but they are no longer your competitors, your new conference teams are and they almost all make way more money than you do. - because it isn't the media contracts that make the big differences in revenue, it is all the other revenue streams - ticket sales, purchases at the events, etc. Ohio St's previous AD mentioned that they make over $100M in revenue each year on their home games. I would not expect any movement from the B1G until the end of the decade when their media rights are up and they see what they can get in a new contract.

There was an article that looked at all the schools that have changed from a G5 to P5 conference or P5 to P5 conference and almost all of them have worst overall records since the move than before. Have Miami and VT been better in the ACC than they were in the BE? MD hasn't won a single game in a decade in the B1G against a ranked B1G opponent. Look at how the G5 schools that have moved up to P5 conferences are performing.

Also, the last 12 months have shown their simply is not the money for programs to move to new P5 conferences and get large payouts right now. In 5 years that may be different, but right now there is not the money nor desire to pay full shares for teams to jump conferences.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.

I think some fans were not complaining about playing uga and Clemson so much as saying if you automatically have them on the schedule every year it makes no sense to load up your out of conference schedule with additional powerhouses. You don’t have to have a schedule as soft as uga but don’t have to consistently have one of the hardest schedules in the country.

Rivalries are good for other teams. It’s stupid to think they are not good for us.
Personally, I'd rather play Auburn and Tennessee due to proximity than Pitt, Louisville or BC. Road trip to Knoxville? Okay. Boston? Not so much.

But if we want to fill our stadium more frequently, then let's schedule Georgia State and Georgia Southern instead of Ole Miss and Bowling Green.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Clemson fans are pissed too.

If you think we got screwed, now is a good time to email J Batt and let him know how much he ****ed this up.
Absolutely agree with this. The folks who are upset should definitely let J Batt know. As I mentioned I don't have a real issue with not having those in-conference permanent rivals but with that said I would absolutely like to hear from J Batt why we chose this path. I think he owes that to everyone sooner rather than later. And I would hope that he and the rest of the GTAA are planning on addressing it without needing to be told that GT fans are upset.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd rather play Auburn and Tennessee due to proximity than Pitt, Louisville or BC. Road trip to Knoxville? Okay. Boston? Not so much.

But if we want to fill our stadium more frequently, then let's schedule Georgia State and Georgia Southern instead of Ole Miss and Bowling Green.
Strongly agree with all of this except for one thing. Boston is my absolutely favorite road trip in the eastern US.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
People aren't seeing the big picture here.

UGA is our protected rival. By extracting ourselves from protected rivalries in the ACC we are making ourselves more enticing to be poached by a Big Ten once we are winning again. Lousiville's protected Rival is Kentucky they see the SEC as a potential expansion if needed.

JBatt is positioning us to be a wild card that can leave if needed.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
When Tech beat uga 8 games in a row there were zero uga fans asking to drop the series. Neither did they complain about Tech fans taking over a stadium, ours or theirs.

Instead, year after year after year, they longed for when they might beat Tech again. When they did, they retired the jersey of the player who scored the winning touchdown. Kids need to google “the drought breaker.”

That’s what a rivalry is.
Yeah, I get all that.

But this is now, not then, and I think the transfer portal and NIL money have irrevocably altered the college football landscape. Smaller, academically-rigorous schools like Tech (and Wake, Duke, and Vanderbilt, etc.) are at a permanent, systemic disadvantage...the occasional break-out year notwithstanding.

Conference revenue sharing is supporting Vanderbilt and Northwestern...and I'm not sure the ACC can keep pace with those conferences for much longer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
People aren't seeing the big picture here.

UGA is our protected rival. By extracting ourselves from protected rivalries in the ACC we are making ourselves more enticing to be poached by a Big Ten once we are winning again. Lousiville's protected Rival is Kentucky they see the SEC as a potential expansion if needed.

JBatt is positioning us to be a wild card that can leave if needed.
Interesting take.