New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
People aren't seeing the big picture here.

UGA is our protected rival. By extracting ourselves from protected rivalries in the ACC we are making ourselves more enticing to be poached by a Big Ten once we are winning again. Lousiville's protected Rival is Kentucky they see the SEC as a potential expansion if needed.

JBatt is positioning us to be a wild card that can leave if needed.
This occurred to me, also.

Easy to get out if there are no deep-seated rivalries.

From your lips to God's ears, as they say.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely agree with this. The folks who are upset should definitely let J Batt know. As I mentioned I don't have a real issue with not having those in-conference permanent rivals but with that said I would absolutely like to hear from J Batt why we chose this path. I think he owes that to everyone sooner rather than later. And I would hope that he and the rest of the GTAA are planning on addressing it without needing to be told that GT fans are upset.
J Batt is not going to come out 11 days before our game @Clemson and tell the fanbase we are trying to schedule easier wins to make the CFP.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, my initial reaction was "what the heck?" I know having permanent rival teams who are serious about football, like Clemson, makes your schedule tougher generally, but again, "what the heck?"

One thing a Clemson does do for GT? It provides another game that is almost assuredly going to sell out BDS. I realize that is because they bring a lot of fans, but that helps the bottom line.

Technically, since we dropped Auburn a LONG time ago, we really only had 2 rival games, UGAG and Clemson. I would rather it stay that way. The only other "rival" game I guess I would consider trading for Clemson would be VPISU, because they think they are a "TECH" school.

I will email Batt and request a public explanation. I hope he has some sound reasoning.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly - a rivalry has to be competitive to matter. You think UGA views GT as anything more than an annual easy win! They only care when we beat them which is extremely. Heck we rarely compete. They out number our fans in BDS. Not a real rivalry anymore regardless of how much GT fans dispise UGA.
Yes. Absolutely uga alum look at Georgia Tech as their biggest rival. Not even a question.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We will make less money if we don’t go bowling
I'll try and help by going bowling but I'm not very good at it, I have scored only a few times over 150. But that could have something to do with being able to drink beer and play.
(I just not sure how me going bowling will help Tech (Did they buy stock in some bowling alleys? )

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do we know that for a fact? Or did they ask, and we declined?
Unless the ACC has published something, I don’t think we know anything about how the sausage was actually made.
My guess… and its purely a guess… is that they asked the schools and you only got a rival if BOTH schools made the request. You know, the ole sorority bid system.
The only exception to this may be the CLEM/FSU matchup… betting ESPN got a vote in that one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Guess who will be seeing more road trips to the west coast. Since the NC schools will only be rotating 5 new conference games each year their California trips will come less often for them. Since GT and Louisville have no permanents, they will rotate their ACC schedules more often and they will see Cal, Stanford, and SMU more often.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding something about this situation.
Here's what you're misunderstanding because you didn't take the time to look at the numbers. First, I'll take a trip to Dallas from Atlanta (EST -> CST) to play SMU EVERY YEAR. They're by far the weakest tema in our conference right now. That can change, but right now, they wouldn't be favored against anyone in our league. Each of the 5 teams discussed (GT, Duke, UNC, NCST, and Louisville) have 3 away games on the West Coast. GT and Louisville travel to Dallas 2X while the three NC schools travel 1X.

AWAY SCHEDULES

GT: Standford (26, 30)
Cal (28)
SMU (27, 29)

Duke: Stanford (27)
Cal (25, 29)
SMU (30)

UNC: Stanford (27)
Cal: (25, 30)
SMU: (28)

NCST: Stanford (26)
Cal (24, 28)
SMU (29)

Louisville: Stanford (24, 29)
Cal (27)
SMU (26, 28)

Flight times:

Atlanta --> Dallas (2hr 25min)
Atlanta --> Boston (2hr 35min)
Atlanta --> Syracuse (2hr 05min)
Atlanta --> Miami (1hr 50min)

Why are we complaining about the North Carolina schools? I like how it works out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All true which is why we need to leave this joke of a Carolina mafia conference. But, I’m looking forward to the California games and the players, most of whom probably have never been to Cali or Texas, will get up for those games so it may end up being a good deal. And the travel isn’t an issue these days. And perhaps it expands our recruiting a little when the Cali 4 stars see us up close and want to visit the ATL.
But it's not true. See above. SMU is a good thing for our schedule and is as close or nearly as close as others already in the conference.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly - a rivalry has to be competitive to matter. You think UGA views GT as anything more than an annual easy win! They only care when we beat them which is extremely. Heck we rarely compete. They out number our fans in BDS. Not a real rivalry anymore regardless of how much GT fans dispise UGA.
Uhm Kirby Smart does! He's said it many times

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take.

Georgia Tech was a chartered member and in the SEC for 31 seasons. In those 31 seasons we NEVER played Mississippi State and only played Ole Miss once (1946). Both of those schools were also chartered members of the SEC and conference foes the entire 31 seasons we were there. Like now, the reason was money.
We left the SEC after 1963, Tulane was still in the conference that year. The first conference championship game wouldn’t be played for another 29 years. There was no organization or standardization of schedules. The SEC had 12 teams. Some of them played as few as 5 conference games, others played as many as 8.

Comparing what happened in college football before we landed on the moon to now is pretty dumb. Teams also used to play multiple games in one week, play against high school teams, and against as many D2 and lower schools as they wanted. Should we bring that back too?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We left the SEC after 1963, Tulane was still in the conference that year. The first conference championship game wouldn’t be played for another 29 years. There was no organization or standardization of schedules. The SEC had 12 teams. Some of them played as few as 5 conference games, others played as many as 8.

Comparing what happened in college football before we landed on the moon to now is pretty dumb. Teams also used to play multiple games in one week, play against high school teams, and against as many D2 and lower schools as they wanted. Should we bring that back too?
Well, if you're going to have an idiotic point of view (2nd paragraph), there's no discussion to be had. There is a long history in college football of not necessarily playing all your conference opponents often, if at all. By all means, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well, if you're going to have an idiotic point of view (2nd paragraph), there's no discussion to be had. There is a long history in college football of not necessarily playing all your conference opponents often, if at all. By all means, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.
What’s idiotic about it? You said just because of historical precedent (in the 50s & 60s) that it’s okay because it was normal back then. Those other things used to be normal too. Let’s bring ‘em back.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were one of a couple of schools without a tripod in scheduling. I think Louisville was another. So we get rid of Clemson every year. Years with Clemson, ND, and UGA were brutal. Maybe now we want to keep Clemson????

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here's what you're misunderstanding because you didn't take the time to look at the numbers. First, I'll take a trip to Dallas from Atlanta (EST -> CST) to play SMU EVERY YEAR. They're by far the weakest tema in our conference right now. That can change, but right now, they wouldn't be favored against anyone in our league. Each of the 5 teams discussed (GT, Duke, UNC, NCST, and Louisville) have 3 away games on the West Coast. GT and Louisville travel to Dallas 2X while the three NC schools travel 1X.

AWAY SCHEDULES

GT: Standford (26, 30)
Cal (28)
SMU (27, 29)

Duke: Stanford (27)
Cal (25, 29)
SMU (30)

UNC: Stanford (27)
Cal: (25, 30)
SMU: (28)

NCST: Stanford (26)
Cal (24, 28)
SMU (29)

Louisville: Stanford (24, 29)
Cal (27)
SMU (26, 28)

Flight times:

Atlanta --> Dallas (2hr 25min)
Atlanta --> Boston (2hr 35min)
Atlanta --> Syracuse (2hr 05min)
Atlanta --> Miami (1hr 50min)

Why are we complaining about the North Carolina schools? I like how it works out.
Well, just looking at travel wear and tear on teams, it sure looked like some teams would have more rest time than others. I realize we won’t know for sure until the actual schedules come out and we see where teams fall on a schedule and when bye weeks fall but my first glimpse of UNC looked like they had a pretty sweet travel schedule. There schedule certainly got easier getting rid of us 😊

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Kirby Smart said Tech is their biggest rival.