New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Colorado might be my only road trip that year.
I’ll be there with family - but likely not tailgating. Be warned - CU fans may be worse than the leghumpers from uGA. Awful group of people to attend a game at their home stadium, in my experience. (Have been to 2 games, and they were poor sports at both - sore losers AND sore winners).

Still, I won’t miss the chance to see the game that should’ve been, 35 years late.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
For me, the joy of college football and what drives my interest is playing teams close in proximity. Losing Clemson every year is a shame. It was a game I looked forward to most every year.

Which schedule would you prefer?

2000: UCF, FSU, Navy, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia
2030: Boston College, Cal, SMU, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Syracuse, Georgia

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think any of the current ACC teams see more trips to west coast.

The approved format will continue to have each member institution play eight conference games per season, with all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road. The current 14 conference teams will play a total of three times each in California over the seven years and none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

Good information. Looks like the ACC did a pretty good job of balancing the travel. If my count is correct, GT will make 5 trips to the 3 new schools, while the NC schools will make 4. GT makes 2 trips to SMU during this 7-year period. This is likely due to the odd number of years and will balance out in the second 7 years if the ACC holds together.

Makes me feel a little better about the ACC's intention as far as GT is concerned. Still don't like the Clemson situation. GT has had difficulty establishing rivalry games since joining the ACC. In my mind Clemson and VT were the two more exciting and rival type games.

One of the stated goals of the ACC during this process was to preserve Meaningful Regional rivalries. Looks like many were preserved like the Northern ARC teams , North Carolina Teams, Florida Teams, and New Additions.

I will be disappointed if Batt was agreeable to the Clemson change. I hope we hear directly from him concerning this! I don't trust much of anything from ESPN.

All Mark Packer could talk about on ACC PM was how happy he was to see VT-Miami back as protected rivals.

My hope is that Key can build a Strong program and earn enough Respect that GT can have a little more influence in the ACC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For me, the joy of college football and what drives my interest is playing teams close in proximity. Losing Clemson every year is a shame. It was a game I looked forward to most every year.

2000: UCF, FSU, Navy, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia
2030: Boston College, Cal, SMU, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Syracuse, Georgia
What I like about 2000:

FSU, Navy, UNC, Clemson, GA. Indifferent to the others.

What I like about 2030:

Boston College, Cal, SMU, Miami, Stanford, GA

So I guess I like 2030 better if judged solely on number of interesting matchups.

But, a shame to lose UNC and Clemson.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What’s idiotic about it? You said just because of historical precedent (in the 50s & 60s) that it’s okay because it was normal back then. Those other things used to be normal too. Let’s bring ‘em back.
Is that really what I said? Strange, I don't remember saying any of those words.

I merely pointed out that what you were complaining about was not unusual and provided an example. Everything else is all your inference. Then, you decided to make it personal by insinuating I was dumb and proceeded to provide idiotic examples that weren't in any way relevant to the SEC and in-conference scheduling. I'm not sure why you turned the discussion that direction.

Personally, I hate that uga doesn't play Alabama home-and-home more often or that they've not traveled to Texas. But, that's nothing new for the SEC; it's been that way since it's inception. It was about money back then and it's about money today.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The truth is liek i said earlier Batt is positioning us for the future, Clemson is not long for the ACC also this model will go out of the window if notre dame actually joins.

For all we know we will actually have Notre Dame every year when they release where they sit. I could easily see notre dame going, we want to play GT Stanford, Miami and Two rotators. That gives them three games that have some meaning in GT Stanford and Miami and then they can rotate through the rest. If we have ND every year and we are doing home and homes that easily replaces the lost revenue from clemson.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, my initial reaction was "what the heck?" I know having permanent rival teams who are serious about football, like Clemson, makes your schedule tougher generally, but again, "what the heck?"

One thing a Clemson does do for GT? It provides another game that is almost assuredly going to sell out BDS. I realize that is because they bring a lot of fans, but that helps the bottom line.

Technically, since we dropped Auburn a LONG time ago, we really only had 2 rival games, UGAG and Clemson. I would rather it stay that way. The only other "rival" game I guess I would consider trading for Clemson would be VPISU, because they think they are a "TECH" school.

I will email Batt and request a public explanation. I hope he has some sound reasoning.

It was not many years ago that we played at Clemson two years in sequence so we would be able to bring Clemson into BDS when UGA was an away game. Reasoning at that time was to balance the schedule and the Budget by having a good close Rival each year rather than having both Clemson and UGA in the same year at home.

We will have FSU more often with the new arrangement, so that will help the attendance and the Budget to some degree!

stech81

Helluva Engineer

A 2000: UCF, FSU, Navy, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia
B 2030: Boston College, Cal, SMU, Wake Forest, Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Syracuse, Georgia
Alex: I'll take schedule A I could see us winning 9 of those games.
As for schedule B we would have to win them all to get 9 wins do to the fact there are only 9 games as we know we will mess up one game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The truth is liek i said earlier Batt is positioning us for the future, Clemson is not long for the ACC also this model will go out of the window if notre dame actually joins.
I am not sold on it being a fact that Clemson will leave soon. I don't think anyone will leave until around the next set of TV contracts for the SEC and the Big10. I don't think Clemson has anywhere to go to. I don't think they fit in the Big10. ESPN already has Clemson as content, and it would cost ESPN more to have Clemson in the SEC instead of the ACC. Add to that Clemson is down this year, and could be at the beginning of a slide back to a mid-level team.

ND might join a conference after 2024. Their TV contract is up after 2024. If they do join a conference, I am not convinced it will be the ACC. They have a GOR problem, but it doesn't include football. The Big10 might be content with having ND football, but not having ND basketball and Olympic sports. Even if ND joins, it won't cause a major disruption to the scheduling format. Make ND protected rivals with Cal and Stanford and you only have to find one additional game a year for them.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It is hilarious that so many are hung up the term “rivalry”. It’s an empty term regarding conference play. We have 1 rival and that’s UGA. We are playing UVA on Saturday. As far as I’m concerned they are a major rival. Miami-VT is no more important than our game with UVA. I love that Miami-VT will play every year. That will give one of them a loss which will bring a smile to my face. You don’t think ole Beamer didn’t love Johnson having to play Clemson every year?

Our players will love playing in Texas and California. If you were a player would you rather play in Winston-Salem or in Palo Alto? Would you rather play in Durham or Dallas? Let the Carolina players stay within an hour drive. Sounds like high school football.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

For all we know we will actually have Notre Dame every year when they release where they sit. I could easily see notre dame going, we want to play GT Stanford, Miami and Two rotators. That gives them three games that have some meaning in GT Stanford and Miami and then they can rotate through the rest. If we have ND every year and we are doing home and homes that easily replaces the lost revenue from clemson.
My approach is that I've tried to get comfortable with PURPOSEFUL change so things like this don't get on my nerves like they used to. Another thing is that I have absolutely zero control over it that I've just decided not to waste my time being bothered by it. I've found that I go to games when I can fit it in my schedule and with kids in sports for many years that made it nearly impossible to go. Now that neither of my kids are playing sports on the weekends, and one of them is now a student at GT, I am already going to be attending my third game of the year against Syracuse. So I'm less likely to look at the opponent and say "wow I am going to make sure I go to XYZ game" simply because of the opponent and more say "hey I have that Saturday free and GT is playing in a location I can get to so I'm going to make sure we go." And I can see going to some of the away games in Dallas, the Bay area, Colorado, and MAYBE Boston but I'm not sure trips to North Carolina and South Carolina move the needle much for me as purposeful away gatherings though those are more likely as away games I can get to because I'm available and friends are going.