NCAAT Bubble and Looking to Next Year

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Mark Fox and Jonas Hayes are pretty widely believed to be about as clean as it gets.

I doubt Crean put his fingers in the holes of the damn where Fox had his

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
How sad for you to be one of the biggest whiners on here, like all of us don't want a successful team and haven't been suffering also?
I try to be optimistic , kinda hard to be when we’ve had the kind of run we’ve had the last few years in b-ball ! I think the ones on here that are the most passionate & loyal are the ones who can be very emotional about their team , but It’s just easy for you to call people out I think , you strike me as a guy who likes to run his mouth on here but you wouldn’t in person

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I try to be optimistic , kinda hard to be when we’ve had the kind of run we’ve had the last few years in b-ball ! I think the ones on here that are the most passionate & loyal are the ones who can be very emotional about their team , but It’s just easy for you to call people out I think , you strike me as a guy who likes to run his mouth on here but you wouldn’t in person
:eek::eek::eek: following

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You don't have to like Pastner and you don't have to drink any Kool Aid, but try being critical of performance without being negative and then I'll try not calling you out for being a whiner. Try facing the realities of today's program, due to resource constraints, etc.

Claims of passion & loyalty are a subjective crutch leaned on as an excuse to be negative when things hit the skids.

You're not special. I'm not special. Nobody on this board is special. We're all suffering the same and have been for a long time.

Also, well done with the passive aggressive internet tough guy remark. Thanks for posting though, because I forgot about this post from 2.5 weeks ago.

Digressing to what we can all do about it:
1) Support the players, no matter what
2) Be critical & realistic of program performance while avoiding negativity
3) Cut checks to the GTAA in support of GT men's hoops

Maybe then we can begin to solve the disconnect between GT fans thinking they have some sort of right to demand better and GT fans actually earning the ability to demand better. Maybe then GT fans will show that they should "have nice things".

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to like Pastner and you don't have to drink any Kool Aid, but try being critical of performance without being negative and then I'll try not calling you out for being a whiner. Try facing the realities of today's program, due to resource constraints, etc.

Claims of passion & loyalty are a subjective crutch leaned on as an excuse to be negative when things hit the skids.

You're not special. I'm not special. Nobody on this board is special. We're all suffering the same and have been for a long time.

Also, well done with the passive aggressive internet tough guy remark. Thanks for posting though, because I forgot about this post from 2.5 weeks ago.

Maybe then we can begin to solve the disconnect between GT fans thinking they have some sort of right to demand better and GT fans actually earning the ability to demand better. Maybe then GT fans will show that they should "have nice things".

I dunno man....I’m pretty ****ing special...

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow

I wish there was a way to "like" this post a million times! Bravo!

GT11

GT Athlete

All the above is right on. Not supporting players and coaches is used against a program by other staffs. People should be critical, but not negative. Recruits see the negativity and it influences their decision. Negativity from supporters hurts programs more than people know

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You don't try to be optimistic in the slightest.

You aren't passionate. You cling to preconceived notions and refuse to acknowledge circumstance or in some cases facts. You have whined that we shouldn't considered making the NIT improvement despite us routinely missing any post season for most of two decades. You praised UGA and Crean while not even bothering to note he had a worse year at UGA than Pastner has ever had at GT. You thought it appropriate to joke about getting hit with sanctions when we don't even have good players (your words), and haven't acknowledged anything positive that has happened, such as landing a 4* transfer, returning Banks, or landing a 20 ppg scorer.

Just because you like to ***** doesn't mean your passionate and you sure as hell ain't loyal.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
With the post season moves where do we see ourselves landing in the ACC?

This is with the assumption that our transfers are immediately eligible, but for me I believe we could be a legit 8th seed.

We have plenty of talent at all 5 positions, although we are lacking depth at the 5, I believe this may be the best roster Pastner has had at Tech. Our rotation at the 1/2 spot should be solid between Alvarado, Devoe and Parham. All three have potential to have a great scoring night any night. While I see many saying we could see all three on the floor at the same time, I don't see that happening for the most part based on the lack of size we will have on the wings while we are in our zone.

I really like what Usher brings to the table, a big body who can stretch the floor, and finish around the cup. Not really an east west type of guy just north and south and I like it. Also having Khalid back him up is even more depth too. Also with Khalid I don't think we gave him enough credit for the positives that he brings to the court, he can slash, defend but what I really like about him is that he is a pretty good passer.

Wright and Banks should be a top tier front court in the ACC but of course the question mark for both of them is consistency. Wright's last few conference games of the season were enough to make me a believer we just need to see that same motor from start to finish next year. Banks needs to get stronger especially his hands strength, I can recall a lot of times where he would lose the ball due to weak hands. Also if he stops putting the ball down when he is underneath the basket and go straight up he will be significantly better. Dribbling underneath the basket allows for guards to swipe at the ball.

I really want Evan Cole to progress, he is a high energy guy who we need, to be honest I am really not even sure why we didn't play him more? I guess staff saw more potential in Sjo?

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Backcourt - having Parham allows Alvarado and Devoe to play less minutes - which I see as a plus. CJP has shown he will ride a hot hand, so if any of three are having a good night they will get more minutes and conversely if someone is having an off night, or foul trouble, they will get less minutes ... having what looks to be 3 solid options for the 1/2 spot is critical to consistency - how many games would we have won last couple of years if one of our limited options had just an average night (vs. the awful night they were having). Whomever starts is not really that relevant -my preference is to have the high energy person come in off bench (Parham?).
I do think we'll see all three on courts together at times - depends on matchup. Any given night one of them could play 30-35 minutes or about 20. I hope Phillips finds his game - but going into season he may get buried on the bench and unless one of the others gets injured we might not know.

The staff still needs minimum of one more big. While Banks with Wright as backup is good enough - we are only on ankle roll from not having front court that can compete. Banks is solid at the 5 (needs to improve hands/consistent motor)- having additional 3 point threat will open things up more (for him to operate inside, plus others to drive/slash ... teams won't pack it in so quickly). Grad Transfer for backup minutes, or freshman (Bilaut?) that even if not ready to play at the ACC level could at least provide backup/emergency minutes inside ... ideally both.

The 3/4 spots are the most open. If Wright keeps playing close or at level he did last few games - he is lock to start at the 4. You have to assume there will be some improvement. Cole is hard to figure - too many injuries last year .... potential not has high as Wright, but does several things well and was more consistent until he got hurt.
Usher/Moore/Sjouland - I could see any two of the three getting significant minutes - at the 3 (all three) or 4 (Usher/Sjouland).
Will be looking hard early to see the development of Moore/Sjouland - players usually improve more from freshman to sophmore years than any other time - one could separate themselves or maybe not. I watched enough USC video to see Usher can definitely step in and play immediately- he is not a 'go to scorer' but already has shown he can play at this level. These three coupled with the three in backcourt - have me feeling better about the perimeter than I have in years.

I fully expect Price to be redshirted this year - develop and hopefully play a lot as R-So.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

All the above is right on. Not supporting players and coaches is used against a program by other staffs. People should be critical, but not negative. Recruits see the negativity and it influences their decision. Negativity from supporters hurts programs more than people know
This might land in #1 and #3 but buy season tickets and go to the ****ing games. I want recruits coming in, experiencing a sold out game with 115 dB crowds, and wondering how this program isn't big time.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
This might land in #1 and #3 but buy season tickets and go to the ****ing games. I want recruits coming in, experiencing a sold out game with 115 dB crowds, and wondering how this program isn't big time.

Agree, with a caveat. I've had season tix since 2002-03 season and have given money every year. Very very few sold out games during those 17 years and most of those are full due to visiting team fans (Duke, UNC, Maryland etc). Just showing up and/or giving money isn't the panacea some folks think it is.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree, with a caveat. I've had season tix since 2002-03 season and have given money every year. Very very few sold out games during those 17 years and most of those are full due to visiting team fans (Duke, UNC, Maryland etc). Just showing up and/or giving money isn't the panacea some folks think it is.

Money is not a panacea, but it pays for many things that may contribute to reaching such a state.

Gotta admit I'm surprised I've had season tickets longer than you have.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
With the post season moves where do we see ourselves landing in the ACC?

This is with the assumption that our transfers are immediately eligible, but for me I believe we could be a legit 8th seed.

We have plenty of talent at all 5 positions, although we are lacking depth at the 5, I believe this may be the best roster Pastner has had at Tech. Our rotation at the 1/2 spot should be solid between Alvarado, Devoe and Parham. All three have potential to have a great scoring night any night. While I see many saying we could see all three on the floor at the same time, I don't see that happening for the most part based on the lack of size we will have on the wings while we are in our zone.

I really like what Usher brings to the table, a big body who can stretch the floor, and finish around the cup. Not really an east west type of guy just north and south and I like it. Also having Khalid back him up is even more depth too. Also with Khalid I don't think we gave him enough credit for the positives that he brings to the court, he can slash, defend but what I really like about him is that he is a pretty good passer.

Wright and Banks should be a top tier front court in the ACC but of course the question mark for both of them is consistency. Wright's last few conference games of the season were enough to make me a believer we just need to see that same motor from start to finish next year. Banks needs to get stronger especially his hands strength, I can recall a lot of times where he would lose the ball due to weak hands. Also if he stops putting the ball down when he is underneath the basket and go straight up he will be significantly better. Dribbling underneath the basket allows for guards to swipe at the ball.

I really want Evan Cole to progress, he is a high energy guy who we need, to be honest I am really not even sure why we didn't play him more? I guess staff saw more potential in Sjo?
To keep it short and simple...and assuming everyone is healthy...I expect us to be in the Big Dance next year.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Gotta admit I'm surprised I've had season tickets longer than you have.

Got 'em a couple years after I moved here in spring '99. Went to single games during 99-00 thru 01-02. Snagged season tix when I found out how affordable they were.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

I’ve always supported the players , I bet I’ve been a fan longer than you , I remember our team going up against Pat Ewing in the Elite 8. You’re not a true fan if you’re happy with where we are now ! And constraints ?? Danny Hall not Geoff Collins have a problem recruiting . I give Pastner one more year & I think that’s very fair

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ve always supported the players , I bet I’ve been a fan longer than you , I remember our team going up against Pat Ewing in the Elite 8. You’re not a true fan if you’re happy with where we are now ! And constraints ?? Danny Hall not Geoff Collins have a problem recruiting . I give Pastner one more year & I think that’s very fair

Yes yes... I'm the poster boy for not being a true fan. Ask anyone here.

Do you know what digress means?

Very kind of you to bestow 1 more year to Pastner. I'm looking forward to hearing about the $5MM check you're cutting after next season.

If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to watching the Spring game.