NCAAT Bubble and Looking to Next Year

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m not big on 1 year rentals through grad transfers. Especially when trying to build a program, ala BG but in this situation I think JP needs at least 2, a scorer and a big. We NEED to make the NCAA tournament next year to have any momentum for the 2020 class. Price would be a big get, look at some recruits decommiting due to coaching changes as would a transfer that has to sit next year out (play in 2020) We have no one to back up Banks next year and having a true FR at center in 2020 would be a big blow.
Next year is a must for the NCAAT or it’s time to go. NIT bid next year does nothing for the future of JP here. At least not in my opinion.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think Pastner has to make the NCAA next year. i do think he needs to make the NIT.
That would show good improvement with a roster that will mostly return.

His 2020 class will be put together without any help from on court play this season. I do think 2021 would be very hard to recruit without a NIT or better season next year.
i think the best case scenario (don't know the last time that happened with GT though) would be 2 grads - 1 big and 1 guard and 2 HS, also 1 big and 1 guard this spring and then have 4 schollies to use in 2020 with at least 2 going to Top 100 players.

I also watch UVA this Tourney and think GT should use Moses in a similar way to Diakite. they do not use him as a primary scorer and they don't have him hang around outside (though they do use him for screens but then send him down on them). They are very similar in build and athleticism. Both came into college at about 6'9, 205 and now as a R-JR (Diakite was yet another 4 star player Bennett redshirted as a fr - no one does that better than he does) is 6'9, 228. Moses was 6'9 221 as a true Soph and to me looks like he has a slightly wider frame so he could probably go to 230 or so without losing any athleticism.

They do need to find a 3rd guard so Jose doesn't have to play 40 min. He should be on the court no more than 35. He plays so hard, but isn't really big so he gets beat up a little. IMO Bolden would be ideal if they could convince him to come.
I wouldn't expect either Price or Edwards to play much as a FR if GT can land either. Price is 6'5, 170 and Edwards 6'11, 188. Both are going to need some serious S&C work, but both also have intriguing skillsets if you can give them a year or two to grow in college.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My two biggest concerns with CJP are ...
#1) His basic decision making is questionable, to not only befriend a guy with Ron Bell's reputation (so I have read), but to allow him total access into the front door of our program
#2) Recruiting, I think Memphis pretty much recruited itself with home grown talent and with the above, CJP has lost alot of credibility on the recruiting trails
I'm also not crazy about some of the things he says in post-game interviews, he seems to be full of excuses and has really leaned heavily on this "I was given 5-yrs to make the tournament" line ...

Neither of those two issues should concern you with on court performance next season. He is a better in game coach than we anticipated. He just couldn’t persuade a starving man to eat a prime rib.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I get so tired of the “it takes 3-5 years bs”, one recruiting class can make a huge difference immediately. I hate uga as much as anyone but I hated to see them hire crean , I’m afraid he’ll turn it around , & look at their recruiting class , they’ll be in tourney next year probably in creans 2nd year

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Pastner has to make the NCAA next year. i do think he needs to make the NIT.
That would show good improvement with a roster that will mostly return.

His 2020 class will be put together without any help from on court play this season. I do think 2021 would be very hard to recruit without a NIT or better season next year.
i think the best case scenario (don't know the last time that happened with GT though) would be 2 grads - 1 big and 1 guard and 2 HS, also 1 big and 1 guard this spring and then have 4 schollies to use in 2020 with at least 2 going to Top 100 players.

I also watch UVA this Tourney and think GT should use Moses in a similar way to Diakite. they do not use him as a primary scorer and they don't have him hang around outside (though they do use him for screens but then send him down on them). They are very similar in build and athleticism. Both came into college at about 6'9, 205 and now as a R-JR (Diakite was yet another 4 star player Bennett redshirted as a fr - no one does that better than he does) is 6'9, 228. Moses was 6'9 221 as a true Soph and to me looks like he has a slightly wider frame so he could probably go to 230 or so without losing any athleticism.

They do need to find a 3rd guard so Jose doesn't have to play 40 min. He should be on the court no more than 35. He plays so hard, but isn't really big so he gets beat up a little. IMO Bolden would be ideal if they could convince him to come.
I wouldn't expect either Price or Edwards to play much as a FR if GT can land either. Price is 6'5, 170 and Edwards 6'11, 188. Both are going to need some serious S&C work, but both also have intriguing skillsets if you can give them a year or two to grow in college.
That’s sad if we consider a coach to be improving our program & being on upswing by going to NIT

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah how sad for me to want my team to succeed lol

You want this to be Miss St, Texas Tech, Memphis. It’s not. Our acceptance rate is 23%. We invest all our money into football. We hire basketball coaches out of the $5 dvd bin at Walmart.

Embrace the misery

slugboy

Staff member
You want this to be Miss St, Texas Tech, Memphis. It’s not. Our acceptance rate is 23%. We invest all our money into football. We hire basketball coaches out of the $5 dvd bin at Walmart.

Embrace the misery

I totally feel this with you.

TStan made his first hire, probably a year earlier than he expected, and there’s excitement there. It was for football, and I think that was just timing. His focus is there now, and he’s bailing out that part of the ship, or at least attempting to.

He’s got a new hire to make in women’s basketball that I feel like wasn’t even on his radar. So far, that looks positive based on who he’s interviewing.

So, none of that looks promising for making a change in the men’s basketball program shortly. Even though football is the sport he came from, I think he’ll fix up each sport, one after the other. When he played here, Cremins had gotten started and he saw as a student athlete what a good basketball program could do for a school.

It stinks to wait though. We gotta fix the offense. I’d love to see the fire we have in football over in basketball. For that matter, I’d love to see it in track and field. We saw flickers of it in basketball, especially the first year, but Ron Bell and losing DLab dampened things. Hopefully we can rekindle some of that soon. I see some hope in the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I totally feel this with you.

TStan made his first hire, probably a year earlier than he expected, and there’s excitement there. It was for football, and I think that was just timing. His focus is there now, and he’s bailing out that part of the ship, or at least attempting to.

He’s got a new hire to make in women’s basketball that I feel like wasn’t even on his radar. So far, that looks positive based on who he’s interviewing.

So, none of that looks promising for making a change in the men’s basketball program shortly. Even though football is the sport he came from, I think he’ll fix up each sport, one after the other. When he played here, Cremins had gotten started and he saw as a student athlete what a good basketball program could do for a school.

It stinks to wait though. We gotta fix the offense. I’d love to see the fire we have in football over in basketball. For that matter, I’d love to see it in track and field. We saw flickers of it in basketball, especially the first year, but Ron Bell and losing DLab dampened things. Hopefully we can rekindle some of that soon. I see some hope in the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually Aileen Morales was his first hire, which I think was a good one.