NCAAT Bubble and Looking to Next Year

GT_EE78

Banned
Random question, who do you guys see transferring from the roster after the season is up?
one of the AJC articles suggested that Ogbondo and Phillips would be 5th year RS seniors next year (and presumably will have graduated) so if that's true then they would get immediate eligibility if they chose to go somewhere else maybe to get more playing time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There's no doubt the "I was told 5 yrs when I was hired" was a public statement for TStan.

He should have added, "I wasn't given 7 yrs and double the money for staff."

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
There's no doubt the "I was told 5 yrs when I was hired" was a public statement for TStan.

He should have added, "I wasn't given 7 yrs and double the money for staff."
I get why it sounds that way, but if he feels it is necessary/beneficial to communicate with Stansbury through public statements the GTAA has major problems.

Also, my impression was that he was given substantially more resources for staff than Gregory had, but I have no actual information on that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That isn't to Stansbury. It is to the fans. Trying to keep whatever interest he can from the general fan base.

Both Stansbury and CJP know that GT just shot their financial wad hiring the new FB coaching staff and short of a "for cause" issue CJP isn't going anywhere anytime soon

GT_EE78

Banned
That isn't to Stansbury. It is to the fans. Trying to keep whatever interest he can from the general fan base.

Both Stansbury and CJP know that GT just shot their financial wad hiring the new FB coaching staff and short of a "for cause" issue CJP isn't going anywhere anytime soon
fanbase is likely but the comments could also be targeted toward some potential recruit or even our own core guys who he can't afford to see transferring out.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
giphy.gif

GT_EE78

Banned
Of course we'll make to the NCAAT next year :) I'm sure that my expectations for Sholund,CJP's and most of the swarm are that he's gonna have a huge growth spurt that leads to elite athleticism and long curly locks so that next year he's looking and playing like Larry Bird.

Deleted member 2897

On a side note, some people had a lot of butt hurt that we didn't go after Bryce Drew for coach when we had the chance. He just went 0-18 in the SEC, one of the weaker conferences in the country. 0-18! And got fired.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Those people are ill informed, as he was coming until a man in a hounds tooth suit showed up with a suitcase full of cash.

Also, losing your burger boy point guard four games into the season never helps.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My two biggest concerns with CJP are ...
#1) His basic decision making is questionable, to not only befriend a guy with Ron Bell's reputation (so I have read), but to allow him total access into the front door of our program
#2) Recruiting, I think Memphis pretty much recruited itself with home grown talent and with the above, CJP has lost alot of credibility on the recruiting trails
I'm also not crazy about some of the things he says in post-game interviews, he seems to be full of excuses and has really leaned heavily on this "I was given 5-yrs to make the tournament" line ...

Deleted member 2897

My two biggest concerns with CJP are ...
#1) His basic decision making is questionable, to not only befriend a guy with Ron Bell's reputation (so I have read), but to allow him total access into the front door of our program
#2) Recruiting, I think Memphis pretty much recruited itself with home grown talent and with the above, CJP has lost alot of credibility on the recruiting trails
I'm also not crazy about some of the things he says in post-game interviews, he seems to be full of excuses and has really leaned heavily on this "I was given 5-yrs to make the tournament" line ...

If you look at our team this year, with injuries last year to Alvardo and so on, we were basically a first year team of players. Unlike years past, and by a mile of difference, our top 4 scorers are all returning. And for the first time in a long time, we'll have 4 guys rated in the top 125 nationally on the team. And on next year's team, Banks will be the only Senior, so we'll getting most everyone back yet again. And as far as I can tell, Ron Bell was not given access to the program once it was realized what delusional delinquent he was. I'm not going to hold that against CJP. I think all of these things are easy to Monday morning quarterback, but I can also see why people would have a different opinion than me...and I think those are reasonable thoughts and opinions to have too.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
If you look at our team this year, with injuries last year to Alvardo and so on, we were basically a first year team of players. Unlike years past, and by a mile of difference, our top 4 scorers are all returning. And for the first time in a long time, we'll have 4 guys rated in the top 125 nationally on the team. And on next year's team, Banks will be the only Senior, so we'll getting most everyone back yet again. And as far as I can tell, Ron Bell was not given access to the program once it was realized what delusional delinquent he was. I'm not going to hold that against CJP. I think all of these things are easy to Monday morning quarterback, but I can also see why people would have a different opinion than me...and I think those are reasonable thoughts and opinions to have too.

I made the Ron Bell comments based on a few articles I read surfing around the web, realizing you can't take stock in everything you read, it was pretty plain that Ron Bell's reputation was very questionable for a while. I think one article actually said he served jail-time for some scam years ago. Anyway, I'm not a CJP hater and hope he can turn it around ... I just have my doubts ??

Deleted member 2897

I made the Ron Bell comments based on a few articles I read surfing around the web, realizing you can't take stock in everything you read, it was pretty plain that Ron Bell's reputation was very questionable for a while. I think one article actually said he served jail-time for some scam years ago. Anyway, I'm not a CJP hater and hope he can turn it around ... I just have my doubts ??

Yep, that stuff is true. My perspective is until we have proof that anybody knew he had a criminal history, we shouldn't assume they knew. For example, did you read 2 more Georgia players were arrested yesterday? That's 6 in the last several weeks. So if we were to go watch practice, you and I would know that probably 70% of their team now has a criminal history and we would know that. :D But what about Kirby "Smart" himself? I mean, who knows. :D

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
And I suspect that a Google search would have found none of that history before Pastner started backing away from Bell, and Bell went nuclear. At what point in your relationship with someone do you perform a deep background check?

Was Pastner naive? Sure. He was taken in by someone who approached claiming an acquaintance from his college days, and who flattered him by telling him he had changed/saved his life. I’m not sure his naivety was outside the bounds of normal human experience, but I suspect he is much less so now.

That’s not to say that this episode won’t be a factor determining his success at Tech. I’m of the opinion that coaching tenures can be derailed by many things, sometimes large and sometimes an accumulation of small things. But I’m not holding this misjudgment against him.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I guess my last comment on this should be to admit I get a little edgy this time of year watching other teams participate in a Tournament we used to be regulars in ... I really enjoy watching the NCAAT, but was so despondent this year I didn't even fill-out a bracket !!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I get a little edgy this time of year watching other teams participate in a Tournament we used to be regulars in ...

Starting with Price & Salley's sophomore year, we've been to the NCAAT 15 times. We've also been to the NIT 7 times. We've missed the postseason entirely 14 times during that stretch. The part that sucks is when you look at a timeline

1984 - 1996 NCAA: 10 NIT: 2 Whiff: 1
1997 - 2010 NCAA: 5 NIT: 3 Whiff: 6
2011 - present NCAA: 0 NIT: 2 Whiff: 7

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While i still hold Ron Bell against him, most programs have not exactly savory type individuals hanging around them. We were just unlucky that Bell blew up in Pastner's face when he tried to get Bell to move away from the program.

The recruiting comment is just an opinion. i want to see what happens in the 2020 class before I say he has lost credibility on the trail.

Whether we as fans like it or nor he was told he would get 5 years to rebuild the program and his contract was structured in such a way to basically guarantee he would get those 5 years.

Year 4 is a big year for me. If he is sub .500 then I think we know all we need to know. If he gets to a Tourney he stays alive in my mind and we see how year 5 goes.

and its very frustrating, but from the moment Hewitt was fired and his buyout was made public I basically said it would be a lost decade unless we just got lucky. we have not gotten lucky.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO we'll know all we need to know before the end of year 4. If he doesn't secure the commitment of at least 1 or 2 big time players during the early signing period this coming fall he is toast. I don't see any way the current team as constructed is going to be tourney worthy or even on the bubble. He's got to sell hope to last another season or longer. To do that he better have some major talent coming in for year 5 and beyond.