NCAA's Treatment of Women

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My point though was to compare this to the NCAA who has a mission to serve college athletics and college athletes. That mission should include some expectation in my opinion or treating athletes in the same division (D1, D2 etc) the same regardless of sex or marketability.
FWIW, the NCAA mission statement is “to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.”

I believe it is up to schools to decide what sports they want to support. Admittedly, conferences have some input and requirements as well.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the NCAA mission statement is “to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.”

I believe it is up to schools to decide what sports they want to support. Admittedly, conferences have some input and requirements as well.
This language and Title IX pretty much means equitable money everywhere, regardless of where the revenue is generated. Right or wrong, that's the way it's supposed to be.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This language and Title IX pretty much means equitable money everywhere, regardless of where the revenue is generated. Right or wrong, that's the way it's supposed to be.
I’m not sure I would reach that conclusion. “Equitable” may simply refer to equitable within a particular sport, with schools defining what that means.

Deleted member 2897

Translation: Consultants, tell us old white men how we should project that we are not old white men that run the college sports:

I believe 10 of the board of governors are women and 14 are men. Furthermore, 4 of those men are not white.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Well, they’re whiffing on most of those missions. To govern in a fair and equitable manner? Is that what bringing the hammer down on the GA Techs and Cleveland States while letting the blue bloods skate is? And making sure the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount? I don’t even know where to start on that one.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, they’re whiffing on most of those missions. To govern in a fair and equitable manner? Is that what bringing the hammer down on the GA Techs and Cleveland States while letting the blue bloods skate is? And making sure the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount? I don’t even know where to start on that one.
No way the NCAA could ever enforce that one. They’d have to give the death penalty to three-fourths of the SEC football programs.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
With the Elite Eight games going head to head, I wonder what the TV ratings are for the men's compared to the women's.

If it's all about equality then we should receive the same about of money the $EC gives it schools, that's just equal. Oh that won't happen because they have a "better" product compared to others. Hmmm it seems you have just proven the point.

Like it or not, at some point the grown-ups in the room have to say enough is enough. EVERYONE in this country is offered a "free" education until they are at least 17. Good school or bad school, if you do the work and pass, you graduate with a decent GPA to get into college. In high school, sports teams are using the same equipment all the time, but the coaches are given budgets and can use them how ever they want to. When I played HS ball, the girls team (coached by the AD) took 15 passenger vans while the guys took busses to away games. The girls had to wash their own practice and game uniforms, we had ours done by the managers. But they bought the girls food several times a year for the long trips, we never stopped or ate.

Look at individual colleges. UNC guys play in the Dean Dome (21,000 seats) while the gals play in Carmichael Auditorium (6,800 seats). Not equal. Kentucky guys play at Rupp Arena (20,000 seats) while the gals play at Memorial Coliseum (8,500 seats). Not equal. So until the individual schools start acting in an equal way, why should the NCAA?

The NCAA stepped in it big time with the weightroom disparities, no question about that. But since the NCAA does not receive Federal funding (their funding comes from the member institutions and TV deals) they are not subject to Title IX. Just the way it is. They (NCAA) see the writing on the wall (NIL) and are going to have to change or the Power Five will break off and form a new version at the end of the current TV deal, expiring in 2024.

slugboy

Staff member
Emmert had a call with some of the WBB coaches. The details got leaked, and from the quotes in the article it looks like the transcript or the recording got shared.
Fortner is quoted, and her position reads as “we can get ratings and make money, and I have evidence to show that, but you don’t even give us a chance”
The entire article is worth a read

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They (NCAA) see the writing on the wall (NIL) and are going to have to change or the Power Five will break off and form a new version at the end of the current TV deal, expiring in 2024.
I frankly think this *might* be the best overall solution. There are many, many schools where the student-athletes are just that. Where no sport is a real revenue bonanza. And where there is indeed a set of rules for amateur athletics in schools.

Then there is the SEC and its brethren in the Power Five.

Many schools (like GT, or say, Villanova) are somewhere in between and probably should be forced to make a choice...in or out of the professional sports game.

But trying to keep Alabama in the same grouping with Amherst just doesn't work.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Emmert had a call with some of the WBB coaches. The details got leaked, and from the quotes in the article it looks like the transcript or the recording got shared.
Fortner is quoted, and her position reads as “we can get ratings and make money, and I have evidence to show that, but you don’t even give us a chance”
The entire article is worth a read

“We’re a huge potential revenue stream,” Fortner said. “Our numbers bear that out on TV and they’ve done that without a lot of help other than just our coming along by ourselves, growing our own product within our institutions.

"According to ESPN, the 2018-19 NCAA Division I men's tournament had a budget of $28 million, nearly double the women's $14.5 million budget. On Friday, the NCAA provided information that showed the men's tournament brought in a total net income of $864.6 million that season, while the women's event lost $2.8 million."

I wonder if Fortner can define "huge". The economics are what they are. I suppose you could require viewers to watch WBB in order to be able to watch MBB.

GT_EE78

Banned
“We’re a huge potential revenue stream,” Fortner said. “Our numbers bear that out on TV and they’ve done that without a lot of help other than just our coming along by ourselves, growing our own product within our institutions.

"According to ESPN, the 2018-19 NCAA Division I men's tournament had a budget of $28 million, nearly double the women's $14.5 million budget. On Friday, the NCAA provided information that showed the men's tournament brought in a total net income of $864.6 million that season, while the women's event lost $2.8 million."

I wonder if Fortner can define "huge". The economics are what they are. I suppose you could require viewers to watch WBB in order to be able to watch MBB.
Nell must think this helps her recruiting. I don't think anyone would pay her as an economist.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Nell must think this helps her recruiting. I don't think anyone would pay her as an economist.
To be honest I view the NCAA’s financial disclosures the same way I look at claims from NFL or MLB owners claiming they lose money. Until they open up about how they apportion costs and revenues it’s just noise.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Basketball is really the only sport where this comparison can be made, so for the NCAA to screw up this badly just screams a lack of competence. Giving equitable treatment in all of the areas that have seen discrepancies wouldn't have cost that much.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m sure she’s passionate but damn at least come within nuclear weapons range of your target. This bomb landed in the wrong continent.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
With the Elite Eight games going head to head, I wonder what the TV ratings are for the men's compared to the women's.

If it's all about equality then we should receive the same about of money the $EC gives it schools, that's just equal. Oh that won't happen because they have a "better" product compared to others. Hmmm it seems you have just proven the point.

Like it or not, at some point the grown-ups in the room have to say enough is enough. EVERYONE in this country is offered a "free" education until they are at least 17. Good school or bad school, if you do the work and pass, you graduate with a decent GPA to get into college. In high school, sports teams are using the same equipment all the time, but the coaches are given budgets and can use them how ever they want to. When I played HS ball, the girls team (coached by the AD) took 15 passenger vans while the guys took busses to away games. The girls had to wash their own practice and game uniforms, we had ours done by the managers. But they bought the girls food several times a year for the long trips, we never stopped or ate.

Look at individual colleges. UNC guys play in the Dean Dome (21,000 seats) while the gals play in Carmichael Auditorium (6,800 seats). Not equal. Kentucky guys play at Rupp Arena (20,000 seats) while the gals play at Memorial Coliseum (8,500 seats). Not equal. So until the individual schools start acting in an equal way, why should the NCAA?

The NCAA stepped in it big time with the weightroom disparities, no question about that. But since the NCAA does not receive Federal funding (their funding comes from the member institutions and TV deals) they are not subject to Title IX. Just the way it is. They (NCAA) see the writing on the wall (NIL) and are going to have to change or the Power Five will break off and form a new version at the end of the current TV deal, expiring in 2024.