NCAA tournament

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What a total brain fart by O'Connor. They had their ace reliever warmed up and ready to pitch the 9th but instead allowed the guy who gave up a bomb in the 8th pitch the 9th. When he gave up a lead off blast to the first batter I figured the closer would certainly come in. Then he gives up another blast to tie the game and I figure there is no way they leave him in. But not only do the leave him in they allow him to pitch until he loads the bases AND THEN they pull him for the closer who then gives up a sac fly to end the game. No idea what their coach was thinking. I haven't looked at the UVA message board but they must be imploding. O'Connor must be the only person in the entire country who didn't know it was time to pull that guy. Just unbelievable.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What a total brain fart by O'Connor. They had their ace reliever warmed up and ready to pitch the 9th but instead allowed the guy who gave up a bomb in the 8th pitch the 9th. When he gave up a lead off blast to the first batter I figured the closer would certainly come in. Then he gives up another blast to tie the game and I figure there is no way they leave him in. But not only do the leave him in they allow him to pitch until he loads the bases AND THEN they pull him for the closer who then gives up a sac fly to end the game. No idea what their coach was thinking. I haven't looked at the UVA message board but they must be imploding. O'Connor must be the only person in the entire country who didn't know it was time to pull that guy. Just unbelievable.
I couldn’t believe the pitcher came out for the ninth. Then he gives up a bomb. I couldn’t believe he faced the next guy. He gives up a 450 foot moon shot. They keep him in again…next guy hits a single with a 117 mph exit velo. At this point I’m texting my dad that the uva coach must have dementia.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
well they didn't hold em to less than 4 runs... that was Nuts. Kyle Peterson was saying the guy has nothing left when he came out and continued to pitch....and he was only 46 or so pitches in.... come on.....

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
WF brought in their closer in the 9th & surprise, he closed it out. Guess WF's coach didn't read the same book uva's coach did.
It wasn’t even just that UVA wasn’t bringing in the closer. The reliever was obviously tired, had given up a homer in in the previous inning, AND was the second time through the order. Any of those things would be worth not even letting him trot out into the ninth. How the coach left him in after the first tank baffles me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not perfect fit for this thread but I love it...

Screenshot_20230618_222348.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Saved the game for WF. They are giving the credit to the 3B (Brock Wilken) in the tweet, but the play by the catcher was even more impressive to me.
It was just a great defensive play on both ends. That was one of the best college baseball games I have seen. Of course, cheering for WF made it the more enjoyable.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm neutral about who wins, and have no problem if WF does. But dang, LSU's pitcher was getting hosed by the ump last night. You can look at back at the pitch chart and see how many easy strikes were called balls.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm neutral about who wins, and have no problem if WF does. But dang, LSU's pitcher was getting hosed by the ump last night. You can look at back at the pitch chart and see how many easy strikes were called balls.
I gotta agree with that even though i am no LSU fan. Also, gotta state I didn’t see the early innings so not sure why zone was established, but in previous games they were giving a big zone.