NCAA tournament

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This Tennessee-Clemson game is giving me flashbacks of our 2019 game against Auburn. Except that Clemson was able to bat last and knew what they needed to get. Yes, I'm still salty about that rule 🤬

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
This Tennessee-Clemson game is giving me flashbacks of our 2019 game against Auburn. Except that Clemson was able to bat last and knew what they needed to get. Yes, I'm still salty about that rule 🤬
Incredible game. I was thinking the exact same thing...Clemson gets a chance to respond, whereas we didn't. I believe last at-bat is determined by coin flip, but IMO coin flip should always go the higher seed, not luck.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Incredible game. I was thinking the exact same thing...Clemson gets a chance to respond, whereas we didn't. I believe last at-bat is determined by coin flip, but IMO coin flip should always go the higher seed, not luck.
The higher seed should always be the home team until Omaha in my opinion. To me, that's why you play the regular season and determine seeds.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The higher seed should always be the home team until Omaha in my opinion. To me, that's why you play the regular season and determine seeds.
I couldn't find anything official, however, I did find this on an secrant page:

For the initial regional rounds of the tournament, the higher seeded team is always the home team. Once the initial regional round is completed, the NCAA uses the following three step process:

Step 1) The team has been the home team fewer times during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 2) If both teams were the home team the same number of times, count the number of times each team was the visiting team during the tournament. The team that was the visiting team more often during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 3) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams met previously during the tournament, the visitor in the immediately preceding game between the two teams becomes the home team.

Step 4) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, the team that was the visitor in its most recent, preceding game becomes the home team.

Step 5) If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times, the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, and both teams were the visitor (or home team) in their most recent, preceding game, then the home team is decided by a coin flip.

Last edited:

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Telling about the [lack of] popularity of college baseball? Wake is #1 overall seed & haven't filled up their stadium all year (or ever).

It really is the exception (not the rule) for big crowds to show up. 3800 is not that large either.

I'm curious how much TV/streaming of games has to do with that. When I first got to Tech as a grad student in 1995 (first baseball season spring of 1996), I recall the stadium being pretty full for games against teams like Clemson and FSU. Although I was coming from supporting a D3 baseball team that played their home games in the single A Oneonta Yankees stadium, which looked more like a high school park than an A ball stadium today like the St. Lucie Mets have. So perhaps that has something to do with my perspective at the time, but in those days your options were to listen on WREK or go to the game. There were little to no TV/streaming options, that I recall.

The popularity of college baseball has clearly exploded since then, with ESPN/ACC/SEC, etc. broadcasting games they never would have back in 1996. Most if not all conference tournaments, regionals & super regionals are now on TV or have a streaming option. I was disappointed with the turnout at the ACC tournament this year, even for night games like NC State and Duke in Durham. I thought that game would draw a lot more fans than it did. Again, is that due to these games being so easily available on TV that people just don't go to games anymore? It's much more convenient and cost effective to watch the game in your living room and go get a beer that you paid $1.50 for (or less, depending on what beer you drink...) out of your refrigerator than it is to use gas to drive to the stadium, pay $10 for parking, $10 to $25 or more for tickets, $$ for food...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have poked at Clemson a lot over the years... generally "underachieving" (lately) in my mind. I really don’t like Clemson baseball.

[For some reason I'm good (relatively) with their football program.]

But hats off to what they've done in 2023. They have overachieved to expectations this season & ... most critical... have SERIOUSLY improved as the season has progressed.

Does this mean fonts can no longer use them as an example of why we should not make a coaching change?
Clemson.... regressed to bad so quickly. Couldn't win their own regional. Not even in the deciding game. They are terrible. It's ridiculous.

Did I "analyze" that right?

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson.... regressed to bad so quickly. Couldn't win their own regional. Not even in the deciding game. They are terrible. It's ridiculous.

Did I "analyze" that right?
Georgia Tech... continually regressing for 20 years. Can't get in the tourney. Tastes like sour grapes.

I know it's a little hyberbolic, and mommy says if you can't say anything nice, but I think some of us can just agree that we disagree and stop picking on each other's viewpoints.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Let's break this down...

Better season than us. Easily.

Danny has missed the tournament completely half the time the last 8 years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech... continually regressing for 20 years. Can't get in the tourney. Tastes like sour grapes.

I know it's a little hyberbolic, and mommy says if you can't say anything nice, but I think some of us can just agree that we disagree and stop picking on each other's viewpoints.
Totally fair. If I bothered anyone that much, I didn't mean it. It was certainly a troll job by me... but meant in 'fun' ... I try; but it is impossible to convey that in this 'environment' (i.e. no 'non-verbal' cues).

Re: Picking on others viewpoints. Perhaps I expect thicker skins in general (not accusing anyone specific). My ideas are often challenged directly or indirectly. I 'try' not to let it bother me.. and it rarely does... and when it does, it's never for long.

My assumption is... if I ran into ANYbody that posts on here... we'd get along great with a shared love of Ga Tech and GT baseball in particular. ...and at some point (about halfway through the 1st round of drinks) we could manage to discuss our disagreements with smiles on our faces.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Totally fair. If I bothered anyone that much, I didn't mean it. It was certainly a troll job by me... but meant in 'fun' ... I try; but it is impossible to convey that in this 'environment' (i.e. no 'non-verbal' cues).

Re: Picking on others viewpoints. Perhaps I expect thicker skins in general (not accusing anyone specific). My ideas are often challenged directly or indirectly. I 'try' not to let it bother me.. and it rarely does... and when it does, it's never for long.

My assumption is... if I ran into ANYbody that posts on here... we'd get along great with a shared love of Ga Tech and GT baseball in particular. ...and at some point (about halfway through the 1st round of drinks) we could manage to discuss our disagreements with smiles on our faces.
I thought I picked up on the absurdity of your post or maybe I just inferred something that was unintended. Otherwise, it was clearly stinky troll bait.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You got me on that fishhook! I agree, and I would love to share a few beers with you and other sometime. Go Jackets!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
So here we are with the big losers and those in progress:

#3 Arkansas- out
#4 Clemson- out
#6 Vandy- out
#8 Standford is tonight
#9 da U- out
#10 Coastal is on the ropes in 4th down 6-0
#11 OK st- out
#12 Kentucky is knotted up in 6th
#13 Aubarn- out

That's 6 of top 16 are out, 3 left to finish. It's possibe less than half the Top 16 are going home despite having home field advantage and a supposed easier schedule. SEC s the biggest loser with 3 home already, 1 more possible sitting home. They do have 4 advancing so far.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
So here we are with the big losers and those in progress:

#3 Arkansas- out
#4 Clemson- out
#6 Vandy- out
#8 Standford is tonight
#9 da U- out
#10 Coastal is on the ropes in 4th down 6-0
#11 OK st- out
#12 Kentucky is knotted up in 6th
#13 Aubarn- out

That's 6 of top 16 are out, 3 left to finish. It's possibe less than half the Top 16 are going home despite having home field advantage and a supposed easier schedule. SEC s the biggest loser with 3 home already, 1 more possible sitting home. They do have 4 advancing so far.
I think the ACC has two of the best teams left to try to win it all. Wake, who has played well all year and was dominant in their regional, and UVA who had a rough stretch mid season but turned it around to dominate their regional (as well as GT in the ACC tournament. Not a fun game to be at starting in the 5th, but still better than the Saturday game at VT...)

I like to see SEC losses, but not sure who I'm rooting for in the UK - IU matchup. Living in Cincinnati, I have friends that root for both schools. Although most of them don't know baseball exists, and football is, well... A friend of mine that I work with went to his first college baseball game this weekend, and that's because his daughter is dating a UK baseball player and he got a free ticket.