#4 Clemson- out
#6 Vandy- out
#8 Standford is tonight
#9 da U- out
#10 Coastal is on the ropes in 4th down 6-0
#11 OK st- out
#12 Kentucky is knotted up in 6th
#13 Aubarn- out

That's 6 of top 16 are out, 3 left to finish. It's possibe less than half the Top 16 are going home despite having home field advantage and a supposed easier schedule. SEC s the biggest loser with 3 home already, 1 more possible sitting home. They do have 4 advancing so far.
There is the difference that the hosts get to play at home, but if Stanford beats A&M the baseball tournament will be an exact duplicate of the basketball tournament this year. In the basketball tourney, 9 of the top 16 teams made the sweet 16, and so far in the baseball tourney 8 have made it with Stanford/A&M still TBD.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
It really stinks for the Indiana St. program that they are forced to travel after earning a super regional host. It seems all the hotel rooms in Terre Haute are booked for the Indiana Special Olympics competition, and there aren't sufficient personnel available on campus to allow the dorms to be used.

I was glad to see that the Tennessee/Southern Miss super will be played in Hattiesburg.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
In somewhat "casually" watching the Regionals over the weekend, it "seemed like" there were a "lot of teams" playing of Sunday and Monday that had Freshmen that had/were playing key roles in their success. I assume if the moniker says "FRESHMAN" it means true Freshman vs RS Freshmen. With the above somewhat subjective observation on my part, how would you say GT stacks up on True Freshmen making significant contributions? With such high recruiting rankings, you would assume that we would see some of that, although there are many variables including who makes it to campus and who is in front of them. Based on the below, over the last 4 years, with the exception of 2021 we haven't had much "major" freshman contributions.

Campbell (RS Freshman)
Schmolke (freshman, you can argue how much of a contribution was made. He was second on the team in IP, but had an 8+ ERA

None to speak of

Parada
Jenkins
Compton
Maxwell

COVID

Roedig

Please make additions or comments on who I may have forgotten.

So, based on the above, do you think we are where we should be or want to be on Freshman contributions? How about relative to our recruiting rankings? Or does it really matter?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
In somewhat "casually" watching the Regionals over the weekend, it "seemed like" there were a "lot of teams" playing of Sunday and Monday that had Freshmen that had/were playing key roles in their success. I assume if the moniker says "FRESHMAN" it means true Freshman vs RS Freshmen. With the above somewhat subjective observation on my part, how would you say GT stacks up on True Freshmen making significant contributions? With such high recruiting rankings, you would assume that we would see some of that, although there are many variables including who makes it to campus and who is in front of them. Based on the below, over the last 4 years, with the exception of 2021 we haven't had much "major" freshman contributions.

Campbell (RS Freshman)
Schmolke (freshman, you can argue how much of a contribution was made. He was second on the team in IP, but had an 8+ ERA

None to speak of

Parada
Jenkins
Compton
Maxwell

COVID

Roedig

Please make additions or comments on who I may have forgotten.

So, based on the above, do you think we are where we should be or want to be on Freshman contributions? How about relative to our recruiting rankings? Or does it really matter?
For 2023 add Tyler Minnick to the list. Technically he was supposed to still be in high school, which I consider to be impressive on his part.

For 2022 you could list Cody Carwile, Logan McGuire, and Aeden Finateri. Only Carwile was marginally effective, but all saw a decent amount of action.

For 2021 I would list Parada and also Jake DeLeo and Marquis Grissom all as positive contributors.

Jenkins, Compton, and Maxwell were all on the 2020 team cut short by Covid, so not true freshmen in 2021, but rather Covid freshmen. Steven Reid and Dalton Smith would also be included with them. This is the last class that had significant positive contributions as freshmen, IMO.

Prior to this we had Xzavion Curry and Brant Hurter on the pitching side, and it seemed that most seasons we had players like Tristin English, Luke Waddell, Joey Bart, Kyle McCann, etc who contributed as true freshmen.

In general it seems to me that we have been reluctant to use the true freshmen as much as we did in the past. Part of this is probably getting around the Covid backlog with guys getting the additional season(s) of eligibility. I think next season we will be past this aspect of roster management, correct? It also seems that we have been snake bitten with injuries to key true freshmen, with Riley Stanford, Kristian Campbell, even Marquis Grissom as examples of this in the last few years. Additionally, I felt, as some others also voiced on here, that we could have played some true freshmen this season more than we did, especially in the middle infield slots.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@gtbeak Don’t think we saw enough of McGuire. I believe he was working thru an injury. I thought Finateri was going to get it going at some point, same with Carwile.

I’m certainly no expert but it was hard to like how we managed our pitchers. There were a few instances where you’d think we needed a hook and the pitcher battled thru it, but for the most part it seemed like we kept them out there until they got hammered then went to the pen.

Something was not working, up to the new guy to fix it so we can win games. We scored enough, gotta keep those bases empty and stop allowing so many gopher balls.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
@gtbeak Don’t think we saw enough of McGuire. I believe he was working thru an injury. I thought Finateri was going to get it going at some point, same with Carwile.

I’m certainly no expert but it was hard to like how we managed our pitchers. There were a few instances where you’d think we needed a hook and the pitcher battled thru it, but for the most part it seemed like we kept them out there until they got hammered then went to the pen.

Something was not working, up to the new guy to fix it so we can win games. We scored enough, gotta keep those bases empty and stop allowing so many gopher balls.
Just to be clear, I was speaking to McGuire's (and Finateri's & Carwile's also) true freshman season in 2022, not this past season. Perhaps he was also injured in 2022 and I wasn't aware.

Agree with what you wrote in your post, BTW.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Logan, Aeden and Cody were not injured as True Freshman and got some work as True freshman (not as much as expected but got some....)

Aeden injury free again this season but velo way down. He's a baller!

I hope Logan's injury and only 9 IP this season gives him a medical redshirt. Dude is a STUD and was on trajectory to show it!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Logan, Aeden and Cody were not injured as True Freshman and got some work as True freshman (not as much as expected but got some....)

Aeden injury free again this season but velo way down. He's a baller!

I hope Logan's injury and only 9 IP this season gives him a medical redshirt. Dude is a STUD and was on trajectory to show it!
Agreed. Watching Logan pitch the beginning of the Auburn game at our place the guy was throwing about 80% strikes with a fastball in the low to mid 90's with some finish to it. Sounds like the kind of guy that everyone on here has been begging for.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Bracket 1​

Friday, June 16​

Game 1: TCU vs. Oral Roberts | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 2: Florida vs. Virginia | 6 pm, ESPN

Sunday, June 18​

Game 5 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 6 (Winners’ Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN2

Tuesday, June 20​

Game 9 (Elimination Game): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN

Wednesday, June 21​

Game 11 (Bracket Final): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN

Thursday, June 22​

Bracket 1 If Necessary: TBD | 1 pm OR 6 pm, ESPN OR ESPN2

Bracket 2​

Saturday, June 17​

Game 3: Wake Forest vs. Stanford | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 4: LSU vs. Tennessee | 6 pm, ESPN

Monday, June 19​

Game 7 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 8 (Winners’ Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Tuesday, June 20​

Game 10 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Wednesday, June 21​

Game 12 (Bracket Final): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Thursday, June 22​

Bracket 2 If Necessary: TBD | 6 pm, ESPN2

CWS Finals​

Game 1: Saturday, June 24 | 6 pm, ESPN
Game 2: Sunday, June 25 | 2 pm, ESPN
Game 3 (If Necessary): Monday, June 26 | 6 pm, ESPN

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Bracket 1​

Friday, June 16​

Game 1: TCU vs. Oral Roberts | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 2: Florida vs. Virginia | 6 pm, ESPN

Sunday, June 18​

Game 5 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 6 (Winners’ Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN2

Tuesday, June 20​

Game 9 (Elimination Game): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN

Wednesday, June 21​

Game 11 (Bracket Final): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN

Thursday, June 22​

Bracket 1 If Necessary: TBD | 1 pm OR 6 pm, ESPN OR ESPN2

Bracket 2​

Saturday, June 17​

Game 3: Wake Forest vs. Stanford | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 4: LSU vs. Tennessee | 6 pm, ESPN

Monday, June 19​

Game 7 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 1 pm, ESPN
Game 8 (Winners’ Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Tuesday, June 20​

Game 10 (Elimination Bracket): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Wednesday, June 21​

Game 12 (Bracket Final): TBD | 6 pm, ESPN

Thursday, June 22​

Bracket 2 If Necessary: TBD | 6 pm, ESPN2

CWS Finals​

Game 1: Saturday, June 24 | 6 pm, ESPN
Game 2: Sunday, June 25 | 2 pm, ESPN
Game 3 (If Necessary): Monday, June 26 | 6 pm, ESPN
I was really hoping Southern Miss would have taken out the vols. Oh well
Go Wake and UVA (ugh). I don't really know after that. Stanford for academic chops? Oral as cinderella? TCU because they also do not like the dwags after last season?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The ncaa.com site has a strange format... I just opened it up to look at the scores and this is what it shows
Bottom 9th
TCU 5
Oral Roberts 6

So I think, wow, I guess it's over! Nope. TCU is the home team (D1 has it correct).

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That might have been some of the worst 9th inning coaching I’ve seen in a while by UVA. Head coach earned that loss.