NCAA Tournament & COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The IBMA Wide Open Bluegrass Festival in Raleigh draws a quarter of a million fans each year. It's the end of September and first weekend in October. I learned today that ticket sales were supposed begin next week and are delayed indefinitely.

Safe to assume to the Beer Bourbon and BBQ festival in Cary will be delayed or cancelled as well.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see what events get postponed versus cancelled outright. Gonna be hard to sell tickets to events for a while. (1) People will be hesitant to put money down for a ticket to an event that may not happen. (2) Even if said event happens, people may be leary of going out in large crowds. (3) Current events that sold tickets are not refunding money but saying "hold onto your tickets and they'll be honored at a later date" or similar garbage.

If there is no conclusion to the NBA season and MLB cuts its season down, I will likely be out of pocket for my Braves season tickets and my single game Hawks tix. They'll likely give me a credit toward future purchases, but not the cash back. I expect the same for college sports if they have to cancel games or shorten seasons.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Safe to assume to the Beer Bourbon and BBQ festival in Cary will be delayed or cancelled as well.
That will be an interesting event to watch, given it happens in August. If the virus acts like other corona viruses it may be in a quiet state during the hot weather. That would not prevent direct human to human transmission, but touching contaminated surfaces might be significantly less risky. I have not attended that event, but photos I have seen show crowds packed together.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will be interesting to see what events get postponed versus cancelled outright. Gonna be hard to sell tickets to events for a while. (1) People will be hesitant to put money down for a ticket to an event that may not happen. (2) Even if said event happens, people may be leary of going out in large crowds. (3) Current events that sold tickets are not refunding money but saying "hold onto your tickets and they'll be honored at a later date" or similar garbage.

If there is no conclusion to the NBA season and MLB cuts its season down, I will likely be out of pocket for my Braves season tickets and my single game Hawks tix. They'll likely give me a credit toward future purchases, but not the cash back. I expect the same for college sports if they have to cancel games or shorten seasons.

I thought I got an email from GT saying if I purchased season tickets and games were cancelled my tickets would be refunded.

i believe legally, if an event is cancelled, rather than postponed, then refunds are required.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
China re-opened 500 theaters last week. They closed them again this week.
A combination of 'too soon' - no one was showing up, and worries about the virus starting up again (they were seeing increasing cases).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Little pieces of good news.

First, just released study on the mortality rate for COVID-19 has it lower than previous analyses (as it tries to take into account asymptomatic cases).

it puts the mortality rate at 0.66%. Much better than the 1.4% before. But still much higher than the 0.1% for seasonal flu.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

Also, social distancing appears to be working in King Co Washington. Study shows the effective reproduction number (avg number of new transmissions from each infected person) going from 2.7 in late February to 1.4 by March 18th.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That will be an interesting event to watch, given it happens in August. If the virus acts like other corona viruses it may be in a quiet state during the hot weather. That would not prevent direct human to human transmission, but touching contaminated surfaces might be significantly less risky. I have not attended that event, but photos I have seen show crowds packed together.

Is it that late? I hadn’t checked this year but I thought it was June when I went a while back. That thing is a good time

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
From what I’m reading, Covid 19 deaths might be being undercounted because if someone dies of a heart attack while being treated, it’s logged as a heart attack. Likewise for other causes (like emphysema, mentioned earlier).

In Italy and Spain, they were only counting people who died in hospitals—home deaths weren’t counted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can attest to this. Had a buddy that for most intents and purposes was a laid back, partying type of guy. He STRESSED the f out about CV and had a heart attack last week. IMO the first CV death I know about.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can attest to this. Had a buddy that for most intents and purposes was a laid back, partying type of guy. He STRESSED the f out about CV and had a heart attack last week. IMO the first CV death I know about.

Are you saying he had the virus or that he was stressed over the potential to get it and the disruptions it is causing in all our lives?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I posted this in the Coronavirus thread in the SWARM Lounge but will go ahead and put it here as well as I think it is important enough to internalize.

Good article from an American living in China (teaches AP Psychology and English). Talking about how even after the quarantine ends things do not go back to 'normal'.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/opin...quarantine-devika-koppikar-opinion/index.html
But if there's anything I've learned after emerging from my own two-week quarantine in China, it's that we can't simply click our ruby slippers and return to life BC -- before Covid-19.

I have now been out of quarantine for almost 40 days -- and life is far from normal.

Just as I thought "normal" was beginning to see daylight, on March 28, China closed its borders to most foreigners to avert a resurgence of Covid-19 imported from returning residents.

What will "normal" be like when it arrives? The short answer is that it will be like a roller coaster and Ferris wheel: progress will be both volatile and slow.

She also mentions that even now there are still guards posted that take your temperature. If you are 'free and clear' you get a 'green code' for your cell phone that you show as you go places. If you turn off your phone's GPS or go out of town you get a red code. She says the temperature taking and having to show the codes has become more relaxed but are still in place. Only about 1/2 the stores are open with reduced hours and most restaurants that are open are still take out only (there are a few that have been cleared to have customers eat in the restaurant at the tables that are socially distanced apart).

Also, here is an article where Dr. Fauci talks about his relationship with 5 US Presidents. The link to the podcast that it is taken from is in the article. His discussion on US Presidents begins at min 8. If you have time to listen to the whole podcast (27 min) it is well worth listening to for his insights into infectious diseases.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics/fauci-very-different-relationships-presidents/index.html
He makes it very clear in the podcast if you can get outside without being within 6 feet of other people it is important to do so.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
LOL....whether Kelly is right or not is an interesting perspective. Basically, he said nothing. That is what crafty CEO's and politicians learn to do. Personally, give me someone who will speak their mind and tell me what they really think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.