1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

NCAA Tournament & COVID-19

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by orientalnc, Mar 10, 2020.

1. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

The Ivy League today canceled their conference tournament. The Governor of North Carolina declared a state of emergency in NC today. The SXSW festival, the largest music and technology event in the country, was canceled. This is getting everyone's attention.

I would be surprised if the ACC and the NCAA are not sitting with healthcare professionals and legal experts to consider their options for their upcoming tournaments. If the NCAAT is canceled, I am almost certain it would take the NIT down as well.

These two events are my favorite sporting events of the year. I will hate it if they get canceled, but I think it would be ironic if the GTAA decision to withdraw their appeal of the post season ban becomes a moot point.

lauraee likes this.
  2. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

So if the tournament is canceled do we have to serve our ban next year? That was sarcastic but serious too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    BleedGoldNWhite21 likes this.
  3. orientalnc

We are banned from the post season, not from any specific tournament.

BleedGoldNWhite21 and slugboy like this.
  4. YlJacket

YlJacket Helluva Engineer

Too much TV money and eligibility issues to simply cancel the ACC or NCAA tourneys. But they may well choose to have them with no fans - like the NBA has "threatened" to do.

5. LawTalkin Jacket

LawTalkin Jacket Ramblin' Wreck

What about the Final Four? I finally have tix t the Final Four and it will probably be played in an empty arena?

6. chris975d

chris975d Helluva Engineer

Doesn’t the NCAA make like 75% of ALL their revenue from March Madness? I don’t see any way they cancel it without huge financial impact.

7. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

I know. I was curious if it carried over to next year if there were no postseason at all this year. Can you serve a postseason ban if there’s no postseason tournaments?

8. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

The ACC Tournament starts in 1 hour and 21 minutes. If they haven't canceled it by now, it will start and GT is not in it.

CINCYMETJACKET likes this.
  9. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

Ah ya. True. I forgot it started tonight.

10. ramblinjacket

ramblinjacket Helluva Engineer

It was not going to start tonight for GT. So still time to get canceled without GT having missed a game.

11. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

Your move NCAA. The first four is in Dayton.

12. sidewalkGTfan

sidewalkGTfan Helluva Engineer

What happens if a player in a college or professional league test positive? You gonna quarantine entire teams?

lauraee likes this.
  13. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

Did North Carolina declare a state of emergency?

14. sidewalkGTfan

sidewalkGTfan Helluva Engineer

Yes sir

15. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Yes you can serve a postseason ban if there are no postseason tournaments. It's like you don't need to qualify for a bowl game to serve a bowl ban in football.

GT14, MidtownJacket and RyanS12 like this.
  16. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

Democratic governor with republican legislature in NC. He's been itching to have a reason to bypass them.

17. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

It's actually closer to 90%. Most of that coming from the TV contract to broadcast it. The other 10% is NCAA's take of gate receipts for the various national championships it is responsible for.

augustabuzz likes this.
  18. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

I’m not too much into politics but it’s ironic this all starts popping up on Election Day.....

19. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

What?

20. orientalnc

This did not give the governor any more leverage or power over the legislature, but it qualifies the state for federal money. Maybe I will hear more tonight, but so far the GOP legs has been supportive.

I do not want this to be a political post. I was simply stating a fact.

plangineer, augustabuzz and slugboy like this.