NCAA Tournament & COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Ivy League today canceled their conference tournament. The Governor of North Carolina declared a state of emergency in NC today. The SXSW festival, the largest music and technology event in the country, was canceled. This is getting everyone's attention.

I would be surprised if the ACC and the NCAA are not sitting with healthcare professionals and legal experts to consider their options for their upcoming tournaments. If the NCAAT is canceled, I am almost certain it would take the NIT down as well.

These two events are my favorite sporting events of the year. I will hate it if they get canceled, but I think it would be ironic if the GTAA decision to withdraw their appeal of the post season ban becomes a moot point.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Too much TV money and eligibility issues to simply cancel the ACC or NCAA tourneys. But they may well choose to have them with no fans - like the NBA has "threatened" to do.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What about the Final Four? I finally have tix t the Final Four and it will probably be played in an empty arena?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn’t the NCAA make like 75% of ALL their revenue from March Madness? I don’t see any way they cancel it without huge financial impact.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know. I was curious if it carried over to next year if there were no postseason at all this year. Can you serve a postseason ban if there’s no postseason tournaments?

The ACC Tournament starts in 1 hour and 21 minutes. If they haven't canceled it by now, it will start and GT is not in it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I know. I was curious if it carried over to next year if there were no postseason at all this year. Can you serve a postseason ban if there’s no postseason tournaments?

Yes you can serve a postseason ban if there are no postseason tournaments. It's like you don't need to qualify for a bowl game to serve a bowl ban in football.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn’t the NCAA make like 75% of ALL their revenue from March Madness? I don’t see any way they cancel it without huge financial impact.

It's actually closer to 90%. Most of that coming from the TV contract to broadcast it. The other 10% is NCAA's take of gate receipts for the various national championships it is responsible for.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Democratic governor with republican legislature in NC. He's been itching to have a reason to bypass them.
This did not give the governor any more leverage or power over the legislature, but it qualifies the state for federal money. Maybe I will hear more tonight, but so far the GOP legs has been supportive.

I do not want this to be a political post. I was simply stating a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.